Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
It's 85 and GORGEOUS here.
85 is already too hot for me. Of course, that is a matter of taste.

Quote:
It's been cold and mostly cloudy and rainy for much of April and May in Pitt.
No, actually, it hasn't. We've had some clouds and rain, but also lots of very nice weather--sometimes in the same day!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,306,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
85 is already too hot for me. Of course, that is a matter of taste.!
No doubt, 85 can be very hot. I'm not crazy about the heat either. Well, I like the heat, it's the Arizona SUN I have a hard time dealing with. If you could live each day out here in the shade, you'd be great, but summer's here are a waste because it's just too darn hot. One major reason why I'm moving back east.

If it weren't for the large amount of grey days in Pittsburgh, I'd say that the weather for *me* anyway, would be perfect. It's just humid enough, it gets four great seasons (however, this year the spring has not been very nice - IMO) and the winters are a breeze - *this* coming from a gal who grew up near Buffalo, NY. Not to mention, Pittsburgh is *by far* one of the prettiest places in the autumn.

I don't know, the past few years I'd been in Pittsburgh, it didn't seem as grey to me as this year. It appeared that every time I visited this year, it was *always* cold, grey and rainy! A couple of years ago and the year past, it didn't seem so grey and rainy. But I may have just visited at the right times back then. Who knows..... Hopefully this summer will turn out to be as nice as years past in Pitt.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
85 is already too hot for me. Of course, that is a matter of taste.
Maybe you should move to Seattle! That is the only major city in the country I can think of that doesn't get consistenly warm temps in the summer.

As for Pittsburgh seeming grayer this winter, london, it's possible that it was an unusually gray winter. I don't know, I haven't been there since June. But it also seems to me that once you live in a sunny place a number of years, the contrast seems more noticeable. That is what happened with me. I used to think Seattle would be wonderful. I used to long for a whole day of clouds and rain. Now, I'm happy when it clears up.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 PM

314 posts, read 846,311 times
One week countdown. By this time next Sat, we should be settling into our hotal and preparing for our first day riding around the burgh. It looks like (looking at the 10 day forcastm which isn;t the most reliable) that the rain may clear for, at least, our first couple of days. What interesting things might be going on, weather permitting for Memorial Day since we can't do any business type stuff on that day?

Old 05-18-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe you should move to Seattle! That is the only major city in the country I can think of that doesn't get consistenly warm temps in the summer.

As for Pittsburgh seeming grayer this winter, london, it's possible that it was an unusually gray winter. I don't know, I haven't been there since June. But it also seems to me that once you live in a sunny place a number of years, the contrast seems more noticeable. That is what happened with me. I used to think Seattle would be wonderful. I used to long for a whole day of clouds and rain. Now, I'm happy when it clears up.
I agree with you. I do feel that way. Like I said, this year just seemed to be way more grey and cold than I'd ever experienced before the past couple of years in Pitt. But I've only been there for three years, so I don't know if the first two years were abnormally warm and dry, or if this grey cloudy weather is normal. I like the four seasons and I like rain. I'm not crazy about grey constantly, but every once in a while I love it. Especially now since I'm in Phoenix so much. Believe it or not, the constant sunshine can actually put you in a bad mood! No one really believes that until they move to Phoenix and experience it for themselves.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Yep, I quite like the climate in Seattle. Vancouver as well.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:

I used to live in Seattle. It wasn't my thing, but it was a rather neat place. We used to go salmon fishing along the Straits of Jaun de Fuca. I loved the way the dungeness crab would climb up the fishing lines!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:18 PM

32 posts, read 99,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russia25 View Post
I was thinking of relocating to the suburbs of Pittsburgh in a few years after college and was curious about the weather.

I come from western massachusetts where its wickedly cold in the winter with high winds and heavy snow and scorching hot summers with high humidity mixed in.

I have heard that because of the location in relation to the allegheny mountains that the area has alot of overcast days and heavy percipitation. Can anyone speak to this or what the average weather is like? It'd be really nice to move back to the area where my ancestors came into the country but if it's really crappy weather year round i'll have to reconsider.

Pittsburgh is considered one of the nicest cities in America to live in these days
I would have to say that the weather here as a whole is very unpredictable one day its 70 degrees then next it can be well below 0 Pgh weather changes all of the time there is no consistency here at all..........Some winters are worst than others but i'd have to say the last few weren't really that bad...........the Summers here are nice..............Spring and Fall are okay also..........Just very unpredictable i'd say to look up the weather channel i believe they are the most accurate the local news weather forecasts are often incorrect

Old 05-22-2008, 06:56 AM

570 posts, read 1,406,745 times
And on this day it should be noted...the sun broke through the clouds and haze for more than one hour. Thus ending the gray streak only the Pirates could match.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantingtostartover View Post
I would have to say that the weather here as a whole is very unpredictable one day its 70 degrees then next it can be well below 0 Pgh weather changes all of the time there is no consistency here at all..........Some winters are worst than others but i'd have to say the last few weren't really that bad...........the Summers here are nice..............Spring and Fall are okay also..........Just very unpredictable i'd say to look up the weather channel i believe they are the most accurate the local news weather forecasts are often incorrect
A saying we have in Buffalo is, "If you don't like the weather - wait five minutes."

When people from out of state would ask my father what he did during the summer he'd say, "Summer? Oh we play baseball on that day."

I kid you not.

My dad's a pretty funny guy. He moved from Superior, Wisconsin to Buffalo thinking the weather was so much better!
And it IS!

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 05-22-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: typos - of course....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh