Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 08:06 AM

806 posts, read 260,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Well, about the reason for groceries not opening downtown anyway.
Honestly, people have gone completely through the looking glass when they decide that the reason Target doesn’t locate downtown is they’re afraid of Occupy/BLM/Leftists, never mind that a full service grocer has not thrived there in, probably, your lifetime. Maybe I should blame Reagan.
I blame the president for repeatedly tweeting "THIS IS WAR" and sending stormtroopers into cities with Democratic mayors, personally. Creates a hostile business atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 08:17 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
I blame the president for repeatedly tweeting "THIS IS WAR" and sending stormtroopers into cities with Democratic mayors, personally. Creates a hostile business atmosphere.
well. no one will call out YOUR obviously unbalanced view of things. a righty would raise ire, but the lefty can say very dumb things like this.

it had been weeks of sporadic violence, clear threats to stability and freedoms, and assaults already on police who were not storming but standing their ground, as was their duty...last i heard, THREE were blinded by laser light.

so, quite different than the impression of some overlord getting his jollies from sending out a secret police.

what is troubling is the number of residents keeping QUIET because any voiced disapproval will get these hordes at their front gate with Lord knows what -fireworks, rocks.....

Now the last paragraph are my thoughts, and not from a poll or survey of citizens in that embattled city (i have to say that to distance myself from the madness in this forum). but i think its a safe assumption. a friend of mine in Seattle definitely agrees with this, and says the main media sources are not fairly showing the character of these little militias. So take that for what its worth from a resident of seattle.

once school classes start, 90% of this will dissipate into nothingness, as young people go back to brainwash central.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
well. no one will call out YOUR obviously unbalanced view of things. a righty would raise ire, but the lefty can say very dumb things like this.
Right wing extremists have killed over 300 people in the past 25 years.

https://www.businessinsider.com/righ...ed-none-2020-7

BLM protestors haven’t killed anyone.

Just saying.

Conservative speech gets censored online because calls to violence and hatred are inherent parts of conservative speech.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:43 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Right wing extremists have killed over 300 people in the past 25 years.

https://www.businessinsider.com/righ...ed-none-2020-7

BLM protestors haven’t killed anyone.

Just saying.

Conservative speech gets censored online because calls to violence and hatred are inherent parts of conservative speech.

you are wrong. calls to violence are from violent people.

also, BLM is a different discussion altogether. What we see now is NOT BLM - its opportunists, whether far right nazi-types immersed among BLMO protests, or the anarchists and communists who've had a bug up their butts for much longer than the BLM's existence.

i did not even THINK of mentioning BLM in my prev. post.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:45 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Well, about the reason for groceries not opening downtown anyway.
I guess I was hoping for a full service grocery option downtown as i just view it as a successful transformation of our downtown. Just not meant to be yet I guess. Maybe it won't really happen in my lifetime. Hard to say. I don't know the future of our city proper as it just has a different vibe. Maybe the vibe will change to something better someday.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
you are wrong. calls to violence are from violent people.
Conservatives like to whine about how they're censored and can't speak their mind online. I'm just letting you know why.

Quote:
also, BLM is a different discussion altogether. What we see now is NOT BLM - its opportunists, whether far right nazi-types immersed among BLMO protests, or the anarchists and communists who've had a bug up their butts for much longer than the BLM's existence.

i did not even THINK of mentioning BLM in my prev. post.
There are opportunists, and the entire root of this protest movement, BLM, is being painted with the same brush by people speaking in bad faith.

People are having their fourth amendment rights violated in Portland and New York by the president's goons, and oddly enough the liberty-and-freedom right wingers aren't speaking up in their defense. Really makes you think, huh?

Old 07-31-2020, 09:03 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I guess I was hoping for a full service grocery option downtown as i just view it as a successful transformation of our downtown. Just not meant to be yet I guess. Maybe it won't really happen in my lifetime. Hard to say. I don't know the future of our city proper as it just has a different vibe. Maybe the vibe will change to something better someday.
Hey, I tried bringing it back on topic, not much I can do if szug-bot, who no doubt considers himself a reasonable moderate, keeps coming back into the thread to poke the sleeping bear. Clearly people relish pointless political wars while telling themselves they are above it all.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Hey, I tried bringing it back on topic, not much I can do if szug-bot, who no doubt considers himself a reasonable moderate, keeps coming back into the thread to poke the sleeping bear. Clearly people relish pointless political wars while telling themselves they are above it all.
I mean, you've got the Dirty Bird on North Side and the one on the South Side. There really isn't a need for a grocery store in the 0.8 square miles that make up downtown when you can walk to one in a half hour at most.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:51 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
I can understand how upset people are. The media has been playing us for years and years and with a pandemic, not to mention an election year people are going nuts. Pretty disappointed in society, but it is what it is. Most people are just going about their business, but the verbose, dumbed down, yelling types are all over the media. Kind of sad that the focus is always on the dumbed down extreme. Not very healthy.

Anyway, I do cheer on downtown. It is still nice enough. I think Peduto sucks overall and we really should have someone more pro police than he is. The Pittsburgh Police force has done pretty darn well considering. They certainly don't have much support these days. Not a fan of lawlessness, but I think we are in for a lot of increases in crime in our city. It looks more run down as of late with all the tags. Broken windows is a proven thing. Not looking good. Also Peduto is so openly anti-Trump, which isn't very good business, but lets face it, Peduto knows nothing about business. Mayors should have more balance and be a better example to the extremists that really look stupid.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:04 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Yeah. The actual politics sub forum is even worse. It's infamous really. Do a Google search.
I reported several posts for action this morning as trolling which ended up getting deleted, so we are actually being moderated to some degree again.

Edit: They were posts which were actually insulting other individuals and an attempt to derail the relocation thread with off-topic political trolling intended to scare the OP away. Now that we know there is some moderation again, I would suggest that everyone hit the report button whenever they see bad behavior in the forum (name-calling and repeated thread derailment) rather than engage.

I'm personally not going to go back through old threads though, that's all water under the bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh