Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 07:57 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
She didn’t tell me what she’s making here, but generally when people leave a job for another job, the new job pays better. Use your head.

IT is a big tent. People who shuffle computers around aren’t going to get paid what the software developers and data analytics people make.
I think you are like Mother Goose with your stories on here. It’s quite entertaining but mostly fiction. If you can produce facts I will take you seriously.

BTW PA unemployment is currently 13.7% which is higher than all the battleground states for this election.

Pittsburgh’s labor force has shrunk by 33,000. People are leaving. That’s why they are back promoting a campaign like the “border guard bob of the late 90s”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 07:07 AM

806 posts, read 260,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I think you are like Mother Goose with your stories on here. It’s quite entertaining but mostly fiction. If you can produce facts I will take you seriously.

BTW PA unemployment is currently 13.7% which is higher than all the battleground states for this election.

Pittsburgh’s labor force has shrunk by 33,000. People are leaving. That’s why they are back promoting a campaign like the “border guard bob of the late 90s”
“Anything that is inconvenient to my narrative is fiction.”

Believe what you want but I’ve worked in software development here for over a decade and I’m telling you how it is. If you’ve got a useful skill it’s easy to hit six figures here in your thirties.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:39 AM

994 posts, read 501,544 times
Quote:
And I mentioned Atlanta because you live there and was pointing out it is a much stronger area economically with a lower cost of living than Pittsburgh.
Atlanta is not cheaper. It may look cheaper because one can live in a distant county that's still the metro.

Commuting is changing, but let's not pretend that living in exurbs is truly living in Atlanta or insert city.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Atlanta is not cheaper. It may look cheaper because one can live in a distant county that's still the metro.

Commuting is changing, but let's not pretend that living in exurbs is truly living in Atlanta or insert city.
The idea that people are going to live in far-flung exurbs and depend on multiple cars in a household is becoming an increasingly silly idea in an era when cars are more and more unaffordable for the average family.

The driveway with three relatively new cars in it waiting to whisk you and your family off to anywhere you'd like to be is going to be a fantasy sooner than people would like to think.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:07 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post

Yes I have friends and family down in Atlanta, it is not cheaper unless you are a pretty good distance from the city area. Traffic is much worse than here.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:55 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,470 times
Why is it so hard to believe the 130k? What do you think an experienced software architect or security engineer makes?

Old 08-24-2020, 08:11 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,405 times
Quote:
The idea that people are going to live in far-flung exurbs and depend on multiple cars in a household is becoming an increasingly silly idea in an era when cars are more and more unaffordable for the average family.

The driveway with three relatively new cars in it waiting to whisk you and your family off to anywhere you'd like to be is going to be a fantasy sooner than people would like to think.
Genuinely interested what you are basing this off of, especially with the lack of future transit planning in Allegheny county. Of course the case you described is an edge case as this is a small percentage of people.

What is making cars more unaffordable? I guess gentrification of areas with good transit access is causing this to a degree.
Are you carless?

Old 08-24-2020, 11:28 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
Genuinely interested what you are basing this off of, especially with the lack of future transit planning in Allegheny county. Of course the case you described is an edge case as this is a small percentage of people.

What is making cars more unaffordable? I guess gentrification of areas with good transit access is causing this to a degree.
Are you carless?
It's odd, because people are buying more expensive CUVs, SUVs, and pickups and so automakers are increasingly scrapping their cheaper models and going for those. The median price of a new vehicle sold last year was over $37K and most people did some kind of financing with the average auto loan being about $30K. It seems like people are buying beyond their means.

Pittsburgh does at least have, for a US city, a moderately usable transit system.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:03 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,341 times
Quote:
“Anything that is inconvenient to my narrative is fiction.”

Believe what you want but I’ve worked in software development here for over a decade and I’m telling you how it is. If you’ve got a useful skill it’s easy to hit six figures here in your thirties.
there are a several companies in the metro paying engineers over $200k...

Old 08-25-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post

Are you carless?
I would be carless if I were single. My wife and I share a single car and we’ve put under 33000 miles on it in six years. We primarily get around via the T and cycling.

Cars are becoming much more expensive. Affordability rules generally say no more than 20% of your net income on a car and no more than a 48 month loan on a new car. Under those guidelines, a household with the median income in the US can afford exactly one car payment on a new car that costs $19k or less.

The days when your typical family could afford three newish cars in the driveway are long over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's odd, because people are buying more expensive CUVs, SUVs, and pickups and so automakers are increasingly scrapping their cheaper models and going for those. The median price of a new vehicle sold last year was over $37K and most people did some kind of financing with the average auto loan being about $30K. It seems like people are buying beyond their means.

Pittsburgh does at least have, for a US city, a moderately usable transit system.

The average household income of a family buying a new F-150 is around $82k a year.
The average transaction price for a new F-150 is $46,700.

People are buying automobiles they can’t afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh