Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 18,444 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I've lurked these forums for awhile and decided it was finally time to post and get everyone's opinion since similar posts I have read seem to get some truly helpful advice.

My wife and I will be moving into the Pittsburgh area sometime in the next 1-2.5 months. She has accepted a job as a Physician's Assistant with an Orthopedic doctor/surgeon that works at a few different hospitals in the area:
Mt. Lebanon Hospital, St. Clair Hospital, Jefferson Regional Medical Center, Mon-Valley Hospital, and Uniontown Hospital (on occasion). She could be at any of those locations on a given day, but there is no travel between them during the work day.

We are looking to rent for now, I am finishing up my schooling to become a CPA and would like to not be completely tied to an area in case my job in a year or two requires us to move (but still in the Pittsburgh area).

Her future employer mentioned that a lot of employees live in Pleasant Hills, Peters Township, Belle Vernon, and South Park.

From my own research and experience (location wise), we are also looking at Jefferson Hills, Mt. Lebanon, and Upper St. Clair (although with USC, her drives to UTown & Mon Valley would be a bit on the long side).

We are young professionals (both 26) who are easy to get along with. No children at the moment (but not too far off), and would like to find an area that is safe, as convenient of a commute as possible, and if possible has a community feel to it with friendly people.

Any suggestions/advice you could offer as far as opinions on these locations and/or suggestions of other locations to possibly consider. Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the novel-sized post I just put you through.

Last edited by back2burgh; 04-30-2008 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:36 PM

35 posts, read 107,425 times
If you want suburbs, definitely try Dormont, Bethel Park, Baldwin and Whitehall. They are close to town, close to those hospitals, and the housing is reasonable. Rents are quite low, as is the case with most Pittsburgh suburbs. I am assuming you both drive. Transit service to those areas is okay, though, if you do need to take it. A house by the 'T' is a great move.

These are not very diverse communities, though. They are very white.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 PM

125 posts, read 397,688 times
I agree with what IAmAngieBowie said.
Also, Greentree is nice...it's pretty close to St. Clair Hospital and close to highways for travel across the city.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 PM

Thanks to both of you.
Yes we both drive. The option to take public transportation would be a nice addition, but by no means required.
I'll check out some of those areas.

Also curious, what or where is the best place to look for rental listings? Just check the post-gazette? or are there listings in other places I should look? I've only had to look for our current townhouse, and it sort of fell into our lap.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:51 PM

29,672 posts, read 34,190,182 times
Craigslist always has lots of rentals.

pittsburgh apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 PM

803 posts, read 2,963,780 times
ALOT of great advice given to me in THIS thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ittsburgh.html

Old 05-01-2008, 05:38 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,608,699 times
Brentwood is a good place too

Old 05-02-2008, 08:01 PM

thanks. i've checked out a lot of the areas and i am having a LOT of trouble finding a house to rent.
my wife and i prefer to rent a house, mainly for space concerns. we both have computers, and a lot of stuff to store since we are relatively newlyweds.
craigslist is polluted with some guy that likes to post in all caps with posts like 'OMG THESE PRICES IN <INSERT CITY HERE> TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE' and then never showing any pictures of the place (usually apartments).
also, it is littered with 1br places, which is fine for just the wife and i, but kids arent far off.
any other suggestions for places to look are appreciated.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:44 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,352,562 times
I might have missed it, but my first question to you would be where are you from, what are you used to? I grew up in Pittsburgh, I'm now in California, and I know the city pretty well. 'Course you said your wife will be working in one of several hospitals that all seem to be south of the city, which is ok, 'cause the other three directions aren't as nice. If you don't mind the suburbs, Mt. Lebanon is nice, and kind of hip, but the farther you go out 19, the less cosmopolitan it is. I went to Duquesne, which is in the city, where are you going to go to school? That's another consideration. If you want to be close to the city there's a sprawling apartment complex in the Greentree city area called Hyland Hills, which is nice, about five to ten minutes from Mt. Lebanon and downtown. Pittsburgh's a great little town, once you figure it out. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Well, originally I am from Bentleyville, PA. Most people haven't heard of it, but it has it's own exit off of 70 Anyway, its about halfway between Washington and Belle Vernon on 70 (being from Cali, I'm sure you know where it is). But this last year we moved to Frostburg, MD for a new job for my wife thinking that as a math teacher, I would have no trouble finding work.
As luck would have it, the county we moved into consolidated three high schools into one brand new one and thus, they didn't need as many teachers to fill the spots of the three that retired. So, I am going back to school to get a Masters.
I will be going to Chatham. The commute to the school isn't a huge deal as I will only make the trip about two times per week for class. I am mainly concerned with finding as central of a place as possible for my wife's commute, while maintaining a good/safe neighborhood and not paying 1000/mo. on rent.

We are currently looking to rent a house b/c
1) The move was a sort of recent decision and we didn't have a lot of time to save for a down payment/hidden costs of buying. With us both working we will be able to save up for that in a year easily. Also, once I graduate who knows where work will take me...but we are going to stay wherever we go for at least two years.
2) We found a steal of a place where we live now and have filled up the place with a lot of stuff. We need a place large enough to accomodate. Pref 2+BR with either a clean basement or garage for storage. Most apartments don't fit that description, so we've been looking at houses/townhouses.

And, thanks for your suggestion. I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh