Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 08:52 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times

Advertisements

Probably because the Pirates stink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 09:03 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Yeah, but that's a decade old thing. When are they going to be forced to change their name?

Old 08-23-2020, 12:34 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
The primary reason why Pittsburgh is whiter than its rust belt peers is economic growth started slowing down around 1920 or so - when the massive restrictions on immigration from Southern/Eastern Europe went into effect. In areas like Cleveland, Milwaukee, or Detroit there was still tremendous labor force demand due to the auto industry well into the 1970s. As there were no international sources of labor, so those metros turned to black workers (the Great Migration) and white southerners (the Hillbilly Highway).

In Pittsburgh, the Great Migration ended quite early. Black people more or less stopped moving to the area by 1960 or so. Some on this forum have suggested that the lack of any direct train route between the South and Pittsburgh (like the East Cost had with the Carolinas, Chicago with Alabama, etc) also played a role.

The big migration of Latinos started in the 1980s, and Pittsburgh's economy was totally in the crapper by that time. We've done relatively well attracting Asian immigrants in the modern era however.

I'd also say that comparisons on a metro level are somewhat unfair because a lot of the metro-area counties (like Armstrong and Fayette) under any realistic definition would not be included. Still, Pittsburgh is also unusually white for a core U.S. city, though part of that has to do with the comparably low levels of white flight.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:10 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The primary reason why Pittsburgh is whiter than its rust belt peers is economic growth started slowing down around 1920 or so - when the massive restrictions on immigration from Southern/Eastern Europe went into effect. In areas like Cleveland, Milwaukee, or Detroit there was still tremendous labor force demand due to the auto industry well into the 1970s. As there were no international sources of labor, so those metros turned to black workers (the Great Migration) and white southerners (the Hillbilly Highway).

In Pittsburgh, the Great Migration ended quite early. Black people more or less stopped moving to the area by 1960 or so. Some on this forum have suggested that the lack of any direct train route between the South and Pittsburgh (like the East Cost had with the Carolinas, Chicago with Alabama, etc) also played a role.

The big migration of Latinos started in the 1980s, and Pittsburgh's economy was totally in the crapper by that time. We've done relatively well attracting Asian immigrants in the modern era however.

I'd also say that comparisons on a metro level are somewhat unfair because a lot of the metro-area counties (like Armstrong and Fayette) under any realistic definition would not be included. Still, Pittsburgh is also unusually white for a core U.S. city, though part of that has to do with the comparably low levels of white flight.
That’s a pretty good an accurate post. I think the real Pittsburgh area is much smaller. I wouldn’t even include some parts in Allegheny County as it seems disconnected. I’d probably put the population of the Pittsburgh metro around 800,000.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
One of the big signs that tells me about Pittsburgh is when you fly in thru the airport, the International/Customs section area is always
abandoned and collecting dust compared to Philly's airport and Atlanta's airport.
Much of that has to do with US Air's demise after acquisition by American Airlines and PIT's subsequent dehubbing.

St. Louis is another former hub airport which has suffered the same.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:38 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is a very small metro. Keep digging for your agenda though. Good luck.
Wow. Sounds like I'm not the one here with the agenda.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:46 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The Pirates were good for decades though. But I do wonder if Pittsburgh's whiteness explains why there's an NHL team but no NBA team.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:49 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
The Pirates were good for decades though. But I do wonder if Pittsburgh's whiteness explains why there's an NHL team but no NBA team.
Of course that's the reason.

Not really, mismanagement of the ABA franchise is the reason:

Remember the ABA: Pittsburgh Condors

Old 08-24-2020, 04:40 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times
This is not a knock on the Pittsburgh Metro, but the Pittsburgh-area just doesn't feel very big cityish to me. I know that some parts of the metro are as rural as they come.

Last edited by santafe400; 08-24-2020 at 04:50 AM..

Old 08-24-2020, 05:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
This is not a knock on the Pittsburgh Metro, but the Pittsburgh-area just doesn't feel very big cityish to me. I know that some parts of the metro are as rural as they come.
there are even corners of the city that look like they are villages nestled in some forgotten corner off a state highway, like some enclaves of Spring HIll, and even Mount Washington. One could argue that homes shouldn't even be at these places because of the street maintenance and garbage pickup required on such narrow streets with problematic geotechnical problems.

its been said the area is a patchwork of small towns masquerading as a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh