Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:01 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,605,791 times

Advertisements

Report from USA Today

Quote:
"It's not that Pittsburgh has gotten worse; it's that Los Angeles has gotten better," Nolen said. "If the trend continues, Pittsburgh will top two lists, and LA will only be leading the nation in ozone."
What can Pittsburgh do to improve alongside other cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:43 AM

119 posts, read 458,651 times
Here's the Post-gazette's take on the ranking.

Welcome (back) to 'Smoky City'?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,915,508 times
According to the Post-Gazette article, the primary problem is the Clairton Coke Works, and the rest of the region without including Liberty-Clairton would only rank 16th in soot (which is not really bad for a city of Pittsburgh's size and climate conditions). Moreover, the region only ranks 34th in ground-level ozone, a drop from 17th two years ago.

That said, to keep pace with other cities Pittsburgh will need to keep improving on emissions from vehicles, power plants, and so on. Things like more (and cleaner) public transit would help as well.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:09 AM

632 posts, read 1,735,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Report from USA Today

Heh! I knew that this would be one of the first threads this morning! (I don't have an answer for this problem, though...)

Old 05-01-2008, 11:59 AM

803 posts, read 2,963,472 times
Pittsburgh is similar to Mexico City, in that it is largely situated in a valley, surrounded by mountains, so the air tends to remain in "the bowl", rather than spread farther eastward....

Some soot & pollution escapes, to be sure, but alot more remains in the local vicinity than, say, in Omaha....... where the ground is flatter than Twiggy's chest...

I don't see how the area can exactly bulldoze the mountains or anything, so the only other alternative, is a long-term plan to "green up" the industries and shut down all polluters... which is about as likely to happen as Hillary voting for John McCain in november...

Old 05-01-2008, 12:05 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,310,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Report from USA Today

here's a typical sooty day - which honestly, I haven't seen a whole lot of, but evidently they are there. http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/0e/01/20080425081009990026 (broken link)

I was surprised Phoenix didn't make the list with our lovely "brown cloud." Must be a different type of pollution.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 05-01-2008 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-01-2008, 12:38 PM

570 posts, read 1,408,043 times
Pittsburgh is the collection spot for airborne pollution from the coal fired power plants all along the Ohio Valley, Northern Indiana and Southern Michgan. The upper air pattern is just right for Pittsburgh to recieve much of this 'soot' Even a north wind can bring down the pollution from Southern Ontario. Once the airborne particles encounter the slower lower level winds and geographical makeup of WPA we get that white-blueish haze that shrouds the sun.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:52 PM

439 posts, read 1,469,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
here's a typical sooty day - which honestly, I haven't seen a whole lot of, but evidently they are there. http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/0e/01/20080425081009990026 (broken link)

I was surprised Phoenix didn't make the list with our lovely "brown cloud." Must be a different type of pollution.

This picture is a joke. ABCnews.com has this on thier site. First off, that is 3 rivers stadium which has been gone for quite a while. Secondly, it is during a steeler game, in the winter on a rainy, foggy day. Showing that picture and implying that is smog/pollution is irresponsible journalism....

Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,310,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
This picture is a joke. ABCnews.com has this on thier site. First off, that is 3 rivers stadium which has been gone for quite a while. Secondly, it is during a steeler game, in the winter on a rainy, foggy day. Showing that picture and implying that is smog/pollution is irresponsible journalism....
There you have it! Damn journalists! I didn't even notice the stadium... I was just posting the pircture they included with the story. Sure am glad I didn't say I agreed....................

Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,562,963 times
Dude that's fog! wtf.

Pittsburgh was ranked the 17th cleanest city in the world on some other list. I don't put too much stock into these lists, you can manipulate stats to prove whatever you want (within reason).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh