Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 09:31 AM

28 posts, read 28,373 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

My family of four (The misses, two daughters 7 and 9, myself) are looking to relocate to the Pittsburgh area from the Charleston/Huntington, WV area. We both work in telecom and our company has an office we already got approval to work out of based in Pittsburgh.

I am originally from the Greater Boston, MA and lived in the Philadelphia Metro area for a few years about a decade ago and have been in West Virginia for a few years now. I am familiar with Pittsburgh proper and some of the very nearby communuties as I used to travel out here quite a bit.

After some research, I have my eyes on Rochester and its surrounding area. We have a great aunt who lives in Rochester which is a bonus. There are a few homes in my ideal range of $120-150k. Most appear move in ready, but some work is fine with me as I am able to do a lot of work from my previous trade.

I know crime rates in Rochester are above the national average but am looking for some input on Rochester or other comparable areas that are within a 50 minute drive to Pittsburgh. Pros and cons? Schools? Areas to run far away from?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 09:49 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
If I had to live in that area, I'd choose to live a little bit further west in Beaver, PA. Better schools and a nice little walkable downtown area.

I don't see anything exactly in your price range, but there are a few contingent houses in the range you're looking at, and a few homes still on the market which are around $160,000-$170,000.

Where is your job located exactly?

Old 08-27-2020, 10:32 AM

264 posts, read 338,378 times
Rochester is not a place I would raise kids. Sorry, but it isn't. The downtown area is unsavory, with several biker bars.

I agree with the suggestion of Beaver, PA or Bridgewater, PA across the river. Even Monaca is a nicer town than Rochester.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:57 AM

755 posts, read 472,554 times
Beaver, PA is one of my favorite towns in the region. Safe, FLAT!, walkable with a very diverse and desirable business district. A beautiful, varied housing stock to boot. It is downwind from the new RDS cracker plant, so I don't know if that will have an impact on air quality or not. Being closer may actually be better than farther away.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If I had to live in that area, I'd choose to live a little bit further west in Beaver, PA. Better schools and a nice little walkable downtown area.

I don't see anything exactly in your price range, but there are a few contingent houses in the range you're looking at, and a few homes still on the market which are around $160,000-$170,000.

Where is your job located exactly?
Thank you! I will check out Beaver!

It is located in the Greenfield area of Pittsburgh, however, I am able to perform my job remotely but still would need to visit the site a couple of times per year and I do not mind driving.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Beaver, PA is one of my favorite towns in the region. Safe, FLAT!, walkable with a very diverse and desirable business district. A beautiful, varied housing stock to boot. It is downwind from the new RDS cracker plant, so I don't know if that will have an impact on air quality or not. Being closer may actually be better than farther away.
Thank you for that information. Researching some more right now! So far everyone seems to like Beaver here

Old 08-27-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurttarvis View Post
It is located in the Greenfield area of Pittsburgh, however, I am able to perform my job remotely but still would need to visit the site a couple of times per year and I do not mind driving.
Greenfield is a mostly residential neighborhood in the city, so that's a bit odd as a work location. Still, there's a 376 exit right there, so you wouldn't have to drive on surface streets through most of the city, which opens up a lot of locations in the metropolitan area for a sporadic commute.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Greenfield is a mostly residential neighborhood in the city, so that's a bit odd as a work location. Still, there's a 376 exit right there, so you wouldn't have to drive on surface streets through most of the city, which opens up a lot of locations in the metropolitan area for a sporadic commute.
Well, turns out I was completely wrong on that location. There is a steet in Greenfield that bears the same name as my company... Big oof there. I asked my HR for the location and he said it's on Industry Drive in Coraopolis. Looks to be near the airport. I am sure that correct location makes a lot more sense

Old 08-27-2020, 12:27 PM

264 posts, read 338,378 times
Beaver to Coraopolis is an easy drive.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurttarvis View Post
Well, turns out I was completely wrong on that location. There is a steet in Greenfield that bears the same name as my company... Big oof there. I asked my HR for the location and he said it's on Industry Drive in Coraopolis. Looks to be near the airport. I am sure that correct location makes a lot more sense
That's actually a good location if you want to live in the Beaver area and don't mind taking the Turnpike and paying for tolls. It will be a nice, quick highway commute.

Of course, there are also surface routes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh