Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:19 AM

524 posts, read 1,031,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Sure, my point of quoting it was simply that the authors suggest that until their "study" nothing has been really determined yet. This study was published in 2007, yet when did Pittsburgh start doing this?
Richard Florida's book "The Rise of the Creative Class" was published in 2002, while he was a professor of Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon University. Assuming several years of previous research and analysis, as well as editing/publshing time, it is safe to assume that these concepts have been known to researchers/planners/economic developers for at least 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 11:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
Richard Florida's book "The Rise of the Creative Class" was published in 2002, while he was a professor of Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon University. Assuming several years of previous research and analysis, as well as editing/publshing time, it is safe to assume that these concepts have been known to researchers/planners/economic developers for at least 10 years.
Indeed, and my sense is that part of what Florida did is pull together a lot of different lines of research that had been going on and propose some general conclusions. In that sense, I believe a lot of the individual elements of the theory are considerably older than ten years, even if the comprehensive theory is younger than that.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,133,707 times
Quote:
Richard Florida's book "The Rise of the Creative Class" was published in 2002,
Yet the other article posted suggests that until their research the causal picture essentially was unknown. Which is correct?

Quote:
So, again, people can judge for themselves whether the linked material actually backs up what Humanoid has claimed here.
I stated that the study justified by suspicion in the "theory", that is even in that study they could not justify the "strong creative milieu" for metro areas. I did not claim it word for word justified what I said, namely that the whole idea of a "creative class" is silly.

But I will repeat. Even this study shows there is no reason to believe that "strong creative milieu" is true in metro areas contrary to what was suggested in the post. This is despite it being asserted as a matter of fact (I do love when people assert mere suggestive hypotheses as facts...). This is also not to mention the studies that argue against such an idea.

Quote:
That would indeed be overstating the state of the research, but some evidence does in fact exist.
And some evidence does in fact exist for the claim that its complete rubbish. It is a hypothesis and nothing more, yet the city has decided to spend good tax dollars on it.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 PM

314 posts, read 846,311 times
I am not an economist and I don't need a study to show me what I see with my own eyes. Creative/bohemian cities such as Austin and Seattle seem to explode when the word gets out that they are where all the artsy stuff is taking place. Heck, Austin's "motto" is keep Austin weird". Just look at all the warehouse districts that are popping up in major cities where people can live in "studios" and lofts. I have never heard someone say, "I wanna move to blah blah blah it is so businessy" but you can bet your sweet bottom people are dying to move to the artsy area of town. I just think that Humaniod is a business minded person without a clue or an inclination about creativity and so he will never understand the draw it has for so many people. I am ready to get bombarded, Humanoid, by one of your eloquent posts that use some big words and statistics but the truth is that once a place is considered cool and artsy it gets taken over by the nouveau riche and becomes the new "Hip" place to be. Then the property values rise and the folks form California come in and make it a pretentious mess. I, personally, watched this happen in Austin and I know it has happened in the Pacific Northwest and other places.

Oh, and I have to say, Humanoid, you would argue with a post just for the sake of arguing and, Brian TH, you just give him fuel for the fire. He thrives on this crap. You two have pretty much taken over every post on this forum to the point that is no longer a place to learn stuff about PGh but a personal debate forum for ya'll. Maybe, you guys should just IM each other or go out on a date or something

Last edited by jinxd_13; 05-09-2008 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 05-09-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxd_13 View Post
Oh, and I have to say, Humanoid, you would argue with a post just for the sake of arguing and, Brian TH, you just give him fuel for the fire. He thrives on this crap. You two have pretty much taken over every post on this forum to the point that is no longer a place to learn stuff about PGh but a personal debate forum for ya'll. Maybe, you guys should just IM each other or go out on a date or something
I think this is a fair criticism, and I have recently cut back my responses to Humanoid considerably.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think this is a fair criticism, and I have recently cut back my responses to Humanoid considerably.
So no date? I really hate to say that though. Sometimes the responses from two such radically different, obviously intelligent people is interesting and informative but, of late, it seems like a punching match with no possible resolution. I don't think you two could agree on the color of the sky

Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
So no date? I really hate to say that though. Sometimes the responses from two such radically different, obviously intelligent people is interesting and informative but, of late, it seems like a punching match with no possible resolution. I don't think you two could agree on the color of the sky
And to be clear, I don't intend to stop posting responses to Humanoid entirely. But another poster already made the same point as you, and I think it is a good one, so I am conciously trying to cut off the back-and-forth dynamic before it gets out of hand.

Edit: Oh, and thank you for the implied compliment!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 PM

Oh, I wouldn't want you to cut it out completely. Much of what you say comprises the heart and soul of this forum. It is, after all, a forum for open discussion and the only way to get a clear picture of any subjest is to see it from opposing sides. I just don't wanna see two guys having a Peesing contest

Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I just don't wanna see two guys having a Peesing contest
To be frank, that is an image I could have lived without.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 PM

Yeah, it came to my head, unwarranted, so I figured the best way to cure my distaste was to share
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh