Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:36 PM

314 posts, read 846,311 times

Advertisements

The reason that you cannot understand why this would be a causation situation is that you do not understand why anyone would want to live in an open and creative neighborhood. The desire to be surrounded by like-minded individuals, however, should be something you can grasp. You are why the big box suburbs are huge. Homogeny and monotony is your cup of tea. That is fine. But their are alot of people that are sick of looking at the same wal-marts and oblivious SUVs everyday...and they flock to neighborhoods such as the ones we are discussing. It is merely a matter of preference but the preference for artistic and open-minded neighborhoods is present in a significant amount of the populace of this country whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,133,707 times
Quote:
So in fact the theory recognizes that this is more a common cause situation than a cause and effect situation.
A common cause of what exactly?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,133,707 times
Quote:
The reason that you cannot understand why this would be a causation situation is that you do not understand why anyone would want to live in an open and creative neighborhood.
Or because I would rather see a causal connection induced from an appropriate data set than naive "just-so" reasoning. Many "causation situations" that are rather common sense to many are completely false. Policy should be based on cogent analysis not common sense.

Quote:
You are why the big box suburbs are huge.
Really how? I don't even like the suburbs. I'm as out of place there as I would be in an "artistic" community.

Regardless, the last time I checked you don't know anything about my preferences. Its unclear why you think you can tell me about them. Its also unclear why you feel the need to attack people personally.

But people do want to live in communities with similar individuals, ironically this is exactly why artistic communities end up being just as homogenized as your SUV filled suburbs. If someone does not share the group-think of the community they will be rejected.

Quote:
It is merely a matter of preference but the preference for artistic and open-minded neighborhoods is present in a significant amount of the populace of this country whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.
Do you understand what I'm saying? I've never denied that some people prefer these neighborhoods, I after all know many people that do. Incidentally, they are some of the most close-opened and boring people I know. Regardless, what I do deny is that adding these people to a community will make it grow economically in a meaningful way, i.e., growth in high value industry.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:45 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
A common cause of what exactly?
The theory is that the gay index and high tech success are correlated because areas known to be tolerant and diverse attract both gay people and the people who drive high tech success.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:10 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,602,186 times
Correlation vs Causation???

My intuition tells me it's perfectly reasonable that a bunch of gays can move into a poor neighborhood, plant some flowers, throw up a few coats of paint, hang some nice curtains...and raise property values.

Its much less clear to me that a few gays can attract Boeing's new Electronic Engineering lab.

What seems more reasonable is that a diverse and tolerant up-and-coming area could attract both gays and boeing.

Correlation vs Causation...

Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 PM

Do you understand what I'm saying? I've never denied that some people prefer these neighborhoods, I after all know many people that do. Incidentally, they are some of the most close-opened and boring people I know. Regardless, what I do deny is that adding these people to a community will make it grow economically in a meaningful way, i.e., growth in high value industry.[/quote]

I think you are the one that is missing the point. If you build it, they will come. All of the people are constantly talking about the loss of population in PGh and the utter lack of young people. Making the city attractive to the hip young people encourages population growth...of young people. You seem to be so against any concept that PGh might have a chance to progress that you go out of your way to deter people form moving there. I am no attacking you personally ( although you see fit to do so with your acid tongue when anyone disagrees with you) I am attacking your brick wall attitude, your immovable midset and your inexplicable to desire to take on an entire city. You use your, obviously, big brain to argue with people on a forum...about Pittsburgh. Dude, I hate to say it, but that is pathetic. Move on...get a life!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxd_13 View Post
You use your, obviously, big brain to argue with people on a forum...about Pittsburgh. Dude, I hate to say it, but that is pathetic. Move on...get a life!
This is just some casual advice, but it is well-known there are people on the Internet who thrive on posting things that tend to draw a negative reaction. And the best thing to do with such people generally is to avoid giving them what they want, namely the negative reaction.

Of course as has been pointed out to me, I also was indulging Humanoid too much recently. So me giving you this advice is somewhat a pot-kettle situation, but I thought I would return the favor.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The theory is that the gay index and high tech success are correlated because areas known to be tolerant and diverse attract both gay people and the people who drive high tech success.
I asked my DH, who has worked in high-tech for 30+ years, if there was a large gay presence in that workforce. He said since he'd not worked in any other sector, he wasn't sure, but that he never worked with anyone who was openly gay. I, on the other hand, have worked with a number of gay health care providers. I dont' know about any correlation between gayness and high tech. High tech is huge here in Colorado, yet support for gay rights is not. (Sorry, guylocke!)

Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
This is just some casual advice, but it is well-known there are people on the Internet who thrive on posting things that tend to draw a negative reaction. And the best thing to do with such people generally is to avoid giving them what they want, namely the negative reaction.

Of course as has been pointed out to me, I also was indulging Humanoid too much recently. So me giving you this advice is somewhat a pot-kettle situation, but I thought I would return the favor.
I know, I know but he is just sooooo good at getting under your skin (you like that don't you, ya freak). He's like that character you love to hate on the soaps. You know, the one you would gladly strangle if you could. The best thing we could do would be to ignore him. I just got out of school for the semester so I guess I am missing the debate I'll hold my "tongue" as much a possible if you promise to do the same

Old 05-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I dont' know about any correlation between gayness and high tech.
Here is a link to one of the relevant papers:

http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/techtol.pdf (broken link)

I think it is important to note the idea is not that gay people are more likely to be employed in high tech fields. Rather, the idea is that gay people and high tech people are likely to be attracted to the same places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh