Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 05:19 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Italians weren’t exactly looked highly upon in the early days, but they worked hard an overcame. Gotta love them. They really kicked butt here and have such a great history here in our region.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:43 PM

807 posts, read 617,112 times
Sometimes oppressed peoples (even Italians) threaten to rise up against their oppressors.

Not sure if you can read the attached, but it details (basically) unfounded rumors that, in 1891, following a mass lynching of Sicilians in New Orleans, local Italians were rumored to be organizing to march on (and attempt to takeover) Pittsburg [sic].
Attached Thumbnails
Pittsburgh Art Commission requests public comments about the city's Christopher Columbus statue.-italians-plotting-take-over-pittsburgh-small.jpg  

Old 09-14-2020, 06:49 PM

994 posts, read 501,782 times
Quote:
"We take this action in view of the fact that the Sons of Italy, an organization composed entirely of aliens, contemplate the erection of a monument of Columbus . . . . While many believe that it was Columbus that discovered America, there is much doubt connected with this, the majority giving credit to Amerigo Vespucci."

So, I don't know -- the rough point here Erieguy is that history has been used to oppose Columbus statues in the past (albeit with possible base motivations), while now folks seek to use history to oppose the statues once again (perhaps with more noble motivations).
Yep.

Columbus was just a means to an end. Just siting statues as history is silly. Many confederate statues were built much later on as a way for Southern whites to remind blacks of their "place."

Old 09-14-2020, 06:52 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Take down the Mister Fred Rogers statue. I've heard that his son disliked him for various reasons and didn't consider him a good father. Why not ML King (womanizer) and Harvey Milk statues out there (friend of Jim Jones)..
Bingo

Old 09-15-2020, 05:53 AM

A few other notes from the historical record:

- A 1980s-era article on Pittsburgh public statues and monuments referenced the fact that Pittsburgh Italians had worked for 50 years to get the statue of Columbus erected and that they had been "blocked at every turn."

- Indeed, in pushing my searches back further in the record, I do find a reference to local Italians dedicating the initial $454 and change for the statue in 1910 (again, with it not being erected until 1958, and refurbished in the early 1990s).

- The earliest reference to an act of vandalism against the statue is from 1997, which is earlier than I would have thought.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:59 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
A few other notes from the historical record:

- A 1980s-era article on Pittsburgh public statues and monuments referenced the fact that Pittsburgh Italians had worked for 50 years to get the statue of Columbus erected and that they had been "blocked at every turn."

- Indeed, in pushing my searches back further in the record, I do find a reference to local Italians dedicating the initial $454 and change for the statue in 1910 (again, with it not being erected until 1958, and refurbished in the early 1990s).

- The earliest reference to an act of vandalism against the statue is from 1997, which is earlier than I would have thought.
One can certainly learn a lot from history. It’s a shame it hurts so many feelings 100+ years later.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:30 AM

So, I stand corrected, as I find references from October 1892 that local Italian societies expressed an intention to erect a statue of Columbus in Schenley Park.

I guess the question is whether this statue can be seen as not a glorification of Columbus the man, but simply as a totem to the 66 year effort of a immigrant community to mark their success in their chosen country -- an effort that was thwarted by local leaders, and opposed by such baddies as the Ku Klux. Seems like a narrative that even modern "Leftists" could embrace.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:23 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Yep.

Columbus was just a means to an end. Just siting statues as history is silly. Many confederate statues were built much later on as a way for Southern whites to remind blacks of their "place."
Um, not really. They fought a war down there and lost family members to the north. Remembering those that lost their lives is pretty normal in any battle. Regardless of who won or lost there are monuments of the dead. You can pretty much take any war anywhere in the world and it is the same thing. It had NOTHING to do with your agenda "race". My proof can't really be disputed as every war won or lost have monuments for dead. Seriously. This race thingy is really nuts to the point of a mental illness.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:01 PM

198 posts, read 80,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Um, not really. They fought a war down there and lost family members to the north. Remembering those that lost their lives is pretty normal in any battle. Regardless of who won or lost there are monuments of the dead. You can pretty much take any war anywhere in the world and it is the same thing. It had NOTHING to do with your agenda "race". My proof can't really be disputed as every war won or lost have monuments for dead. Seriously. This race thingy is really nuts to the point of a mental illness.
Where are the Al-Qaeda statues?

Old 09-15-2020, 05:29 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_lanes View Post
Where are the Al-Qaeda statues?
LOL. I don't think a terrorist group equates to a legitimate army, but good try. Are there Black Hebrew Israelites statues? You know the ones that verbally attacked a bunch of school children waiting for that bus in DC and were reported by your news channel CNN that the kids were the problem somehow? Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh