Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2020, 02:27 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except even against your landslide prediction, Republicans still hold the Senate. Until that changes, the rhetoric will stay the same and won’t change. Your Trump hate makes you want it to change to fit your narrative.
Maybe maybe not. There will be runoffs for Georgia. I think Trump burned the Republican Party to the ground. There is a thirst for conservative values, but reinforcing conservative populist views is not going to win many elections and this proves it. Hopefully Ben sasse and others with a future have a say in rebuilding the GOP.

And winning the senate will always be hard for the democrats. 18 Percent of the population picks 40 senators or some insanely low number. It favors the republicans

Old 11-08-2020, 02:39 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Maybe maybe not. There will be runoffs for Georgia. I think Trump burned the Republican Party to the ground. There is a thirst for conservative values, but reinforcing conservative populist views is not going to win many elections and this proves it. Hopefully Ben sasse and others with a future have a say in rebuilding the GOP.

And winning the senate will always be hard for the democrats. 18 Percent of the population picks 40 senators or some insanely low number. It favors the republicans
Nah, Trump simply hurt feelings and caused himself the win. Most Biden supporters don’t even know what his plans are, they just know he’s not Trump.

Shouldn’t be hard for the Democrats, especially since you predicted Blue across the board in a landslide.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Nah, Trump simply hurt feelings and caused himself the win. Most Biden supporters don’t even know what his plans are, they just know he’s not Trump.

Shouldn’t be hard for the Democrats, especially since you predicted Blue across the board in a landslide.
This article explains exactly what I am talking about. People want moderate candidates. Democrats that lost house seats were likely viewed as less moderate than Republican counterparts. Hence trump was viewed as populist and not moderate. Joe Biden was viewed as more moderate than Trump. The point for both democrats and republicans is people want moderate candidates. Joe Biden didn’t campaign and beat Trump. It’s that simple. Biden was really the only moderate other than Gabbard or maybe Buttigeg that was running this year. Any old school moderate dem would’ve beaten trump. We don’t want them to accomplish much and keep status quo

You can call it hurting feelings, but it is populist rhetoric that is viewed extremist and not moderate. If trump was the temperament and style of Jeb Bush, John Kasich or Mitt Romney we aren’t having this conversation.

The MAGA and Bernie bros need to take off their drunk goggles and realize America wants moderate candidates with slow change.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/08/polit...ion/index.html

Old 11-08-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
This article explains exactly what I am talking about. People want moderate candidates. Democrats that lost house seats were likely viewed as less moderate than Republican counterparts. Hence trump was viewed as populist and not moderate. Joe Biden was viewed as more moderate than Trump. The point for both democrats and republicans is people want moderate candidates. Joe Biden didn’t campaign and beat Trump. It’s that simple. Biden was really the only moderate other than Gabbard or maybe Buttigeg that was running this year. Any old school moderate dem would’ve beaten trump. We don’t want them to accomplish much and keep status quo

You can call it hurting feelings, but it is populist rhetoric that is viewed extremist and not moderate. If trump was the temperament and style of Jeb Bush, John Kasich or Mitt Romney we aren’t having this conversation.

The MAGA and Bernie bros need to take off their drunk goggles and realize America wants moderate candidates with slow change.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/08/polit...ion/index.html
People want coddled and free stuff. Hurt feelings and because Trump got Biden the most votes.

What happened to your landslide prediction of a blue wave across the board?

Old 11-10-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
People want coddled and free stuff. Hurt feelings and because Trump got Biden the most votes.

The other democratic candidates were not as moderate as their republican counterparts

Old 11-10-2020, 05:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Wow. Stop gloating, and, as the president-elect said yesterday, begin to "see" your fellow countrymen and women. Not all of the current president's supporters are what you think they are, and certainly not all Republicans.
Thank you.

Only ~10% of Democrats are "Nancy Pelosi puppet lib-tards".
Only ~10% of Republicans are "knuckle-dragging Trump racists/fascists".

The other ~80% of the country? Most of us just tried to pick "lesser of two evils". We're mostly good people in this country. We need to start finding more common ground. The problem is that the media focuses on the looney tunes within each party and amplifies their message in order to cause even MORE division.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:35 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:

See, I'm still perplexed by this. It would already be a distant memory if it was a resounding defeat for Trump, but it was so incredibly close in so many races up to the last few days. For all intents and purposes, it was down to the wire.

Could millions have been swayed if the handling of the corona virus were better?

Old 11-10-2020, 05:36 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you.

Only ~10% of Democrats are "Nancy Pelosi puppet lib-tards".
Only ~10% of Republicans are "knuckle-dragging Trump racists/fascists".

The other ~80% of the country? Most of us just tried to pick "lesser of two evils". We're mostly good people in this country. We need to start finding more common ground. The problem is that the media focuses on the looney tunes within each party and amplifies their message in order to cause even MORE division.
I think it's simpler than that: Other American voters are not my enemies. I may think they're misinformed/misled, but I do not think the rank-and-file on the "other side" are the problem. I do not blame the closeness of the election on nearly half of the country being evil, or idiots. That's a very dangerous path to tread anyway, because that road leads to the total delegitimization of democracy.

Old 11-10-2020, 06:10 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
See, I'm still perplexed by this. It would already be a distant memory if it was a resounding defeat for Trump, but it was so incredibly close in so many races up to the last few days. For all intents and purposes, it was down to the wire.

Could millions have been swayed if the handling of the corona virus were better?
I think his (mis)handling of the pandemic is what swayed enough voters in swing states away from him and towards Biden. If his ultimate plan was just to keep pretending COVID-19 didn't exist or "was going away real soon..." while most states continue to see record numbers, then that's ultimately NOT good for the economy because in the long-run you can't simultaneously have a booming economy AND a raging virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think it's simpler than that: Other American voters are not my enemies. I may think they're misinformed/misled, but I do not think the rank-and-file on the "other side" are the problem. I do not blame the closeness of the election on nearly half of the country being evil, or idiots. That's a very dangerous path to tread anyway, because that road leads to the total delegitimization of democracy.
Agreed. Well-stated, as usual. I wish you and PghYinzer would participate more. We need more intellect and levity on here to counterbalance the veiled trolling and bickering.

"Make City-Data Great Again?"

Old 11-10-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

Trump hate has festered since day one. He simply hurt a huge amount of feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh