Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 03:12 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,121 times

Advertisements

It’s early but the penguins really need Jarry to handle being the number 1 guy. Playing goal in the NHL is probably the hardest position to play in professional sports and be good enough at it to give your team a chance to win every night.

Jarry has the tools but he needs to get that ice in the veins mentally, challenge shooters and not play scared.

His first two starts ain’t cutting it. Let’s pick it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 03:15 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
It’s early but the penguins really need Jarry to handle being the number 1 guy. Playing goal in the NHL is probably the hardest position to play in professional sports and be good enough at it to give your team a chance to win every night.

Jarry has the tools but he needs to get that ice in the veins mentally, challenge shooters and not play scared.

His first two starts ain’t cutting it. Let’s pick it up
NFL QB is the hardest position to play in professional sports.

Great to see you being positive about a Pittsburgh team, especially after losing 2 games.

Time will tell whether or not Jarry has the ability to be a starter.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
NFL QB is the hardest position to play in professional sports.

Great to see you being positive about a Pittsburgh team, especially after losing 2 games.

Time will tell whether or not Jarry has the ability to be a starter.
I will disagree with you. NHL goalie is the hardest. Play the entire game of 60 minutes. 60+ or more games a year. Never come off the ice. Hockey is like a million miles an hour compared to football.

The clock isn’t continuously running like the nfl where the players are in play for 17 minutes the whole game and a qb may be in play 8-10 minutes the whole game.

It’s easier to put on football pads and a helmet to throw a football than it is to suit up in goalie gear on ice skates and have enough courage to throw urself in front of a frozen rubber rock and keep it out of your goal for 60 minutes.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I will disagree with you. NHL goalie is the hardest. Play the entire game of 60 minutes. 60+ or more games a year. Never come off the ice. Hockey is like a million miles an hour compared to football.

The clock isn’t continuously running like the nfl where the players are in play for 17 minutes the whole game and a qb may be in play 8-10 minutes the whole game.

It’s easier to put on football pads and a helmet to throw a football than it is to suit up in goalie gear on ice skates and have enough courage to throw urself in front of a frozen rubber rock and keep it out of your goal for 60 minutes.
Didn’t know we were talking about the speed of the game. Elite qb’s are extremely few and far between and are the hardest to find in sports. and nobody said it’s not easier to put pads and a helmet on than to suit up a goalie. It doesn’t make them all good. Goalies also rarely get hit, spend a lot of time watching, and as far as shots on goal, they only see approx 10 shots per period.

There’s plenty of clock stoppages in hockey, especially for a goalie to catch their breath.

Enough courage? When was the last time a goalie, who has more equipment on than anyone in sports, got hurt from a puck?

Last edited by erieguy; 01-16-2021 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-16-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Elite qb’s are extremely few and far between and are the hardest to find...and nobody said it’s not easier to put pads and a helmet on than to suit up a goalie. It doesn’t make them all good. Goalies also rarely get hit, spend a lot of time watching, and as far as shots on goal, they only see approx 10 shots per period.

Enough courage? When was the last time a goalie, who has more equipment on than anyone in sports, got hurt from a puck?
Bleacher report has QB at #4 and Hockey goalie as #2.

Playing starting goaltender in the NHL is harder than playing starting QB in the NFL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...ports.amp.html

Old 01-16-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Playing starting goaltender in the NHL is harder than playing starting QB in the NFL.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, and nobody argued the speed or rigors of the game. It’s simply much harder to find a quality QB than it is to find a quality goalie.

The courage part is funny though. There’s not an exposed piece of body on a goalie to get hit by a puck, and a goalie can’t be touched as long as they stay in their space versus a qb getting attacked by multiple 200-300 lb defensive players every play they’re in for.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:

QBs have a lot of extenuating things that can make them great or not. It depends so much on if your guys drop the ball. If you have a good running back. A good offensive line and so on. Elway had a few mediocre seasons. Bradshaw never really excelled in stats (except interceptions) until the late 70s, when his receivers were the best had to work with...

some could argue the same for goalies, but i would agree with you - that is the harder position. to be down on your heels for so long, too, and having to stop shots coming at lightning speed.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
QBs have a lot of extenuating things that can make them great or not. It depends so much on if your guys drop the ball. If you have a good running back. A good offensive line and so on. Elway had a few mediocre seasons. Bradshaw never really excelled in stats (except interceptions) until the late 70s, when his receivers were the best had to work with...

some could argue the same for goalies, but i would agree with you - that is the harder position. to be down on your heels for so long, too, and having to stop shots coming at lightning speed.
I am not downplaying the difficulty of playing NFL QB. There are many extremely difficult positions to play in professional sports. And QB is certainly top 3 or 4. Not to mention catcher and pitcher in MLB as well as center in football. The QB needs to know a huge playbook and read defenses. They are also relying on positioning and mechanics and feeling where they are. But they get a break after each play and when the other offense is on the field. An NFL QB is in action for probably 8-12 minutes for a 60 minute game with a running play clock. I just don’t see that in the same light as playing 60 minutes where it is a million miles an hour with no rest and being expected to play 60 games when an nfl qb is expected to play 16

Goalie is the hardest because you are on the ice the entire 60 minutes whether there is a break in the action or not. It’s very difficult to stop wrist and slap shots coming in as hard or harder than an MLB pitch. The goalie has no idea where the puck is going to go relying on correct positions, knowing where you are in the net without. Looking behind you and playing on ice skates. As you see you can have all the talent in the world but if you play scared and don’t challenge shooters you get eaten up. I give a lot of respect to the NHL guys that can start in goal and do it very well for a long time.

The best NHL goalies are either weird, strange or a bit of an ... You have to be to want to win and reqlinquish all of the credit to forwards.

When the Pens won the cup in the Lemieux days Barrasso was probably the best player on the ice. He was deserving as Lemieux to win the conn smythe. I remember game 3 in 1992 against Chicago. That was probably one of the best games I’ve watched a goalie play in the cup final. The pens won the game 1-0. Oh and by the way the other goalie was Ed Belfour and dominik Hasek was his backup. Phenomenal. After the series the local media asked barrasso if he thought he would win the conn smythe and he replied no matter how well I’d play there is a better chance of me seeing god than winning that trophy for my performance. He was a jerk to the media but he knew his place and wanted to win. I recall Lemieux saying Tom deserved to win it.

I am rooting for Jarry but he needs to get stronger and be a cocky sob mentally if he wants to be the guy. All the great ones end up that way. A cocky SOB.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:44 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
I am not downplaying the difficulty of playing NFL QB. There are many extremely difficult positions to play in professional sports. And QB is certainly top 3 or 4. Not to mention catcher and pitcher in MLB as well as center in football. The QB needs to know a huge playbook and read defenses. They are also relying on positioning and mechanics and feeling where they are. But they get a break after each play and when the other offense is on the field. An NFL QB is in action for probably 8-12 minutes for a 60 minute game with a running play clock. I just don’t see that in the same light as playing 60 minutes where it is a million miles an hour with no rest....
Goalie is the hardest because you are on the ice the entire 60 minutes whether there is a break in the action or not. It’s very difficult to stop wrist and slap shots coming in as hard or harder than an MLB pitch. The goalie has no idea where the puck is going to go relying on correct positions, knowing where you are in the net without. Looking behind you and playing on ice skate...

good points, no doubt. i take back my earlier comment, though.
I think i will have to go w/ QB as the more difficult position. You make a strong argument for goalie. But I just feel that its that combination of things, a many-layered array of abilities, that is required of a football quarterback.

Not the least is intelligence to remember through reinforcement (i guess) what a defense is prepared to do by how they line up. Montana and Aichman were said to excel because in part of their diligence in studying film.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
good points, no doubt. i take back my earlier comment, though.
I think i will have to go w/ QB as the more difficult position. You make a strong argument for goalie. But I just feel that its that combination of things, a many-layered array of abilities, that is required of a football quarterback.

Not the least is intelligence to remember through reinforcement (i guess) what a defense is prepared to do by how they line up. Montana and Aichman were said to excel because in part of their diligence in studying film.
I can respect that. We can agree to disagree. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh