Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 03:45 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

^^^ amazing sources. thanks for posting them, gg.

i think if we want to advance as a country, let's ask ourselves why ANY homicide stats should be focusing on race.

if it is two white thugs from the hills of Tennessee shooting each other over molly, or two blacks from braddock, should it matter? the root problems are still there. even if the actual crime were not from 'root problems', its still a crime. still wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 06:17 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
We decided to go downtown last evening for some exercise -- based on some comments here, I was expecting a Mad Max-type hellscape. Imagine my surprise to see folks out enjoying the temperate, early fall weather, with no evidence of untoward behavior. I was able to run from the Blvd of the Allies, near Point Park, across the Smithfield Street Bridge, and up the South Side riverfront trail to the Hot Metal Bridge without incident. Saw lots of folks on the trail, Hofbrauhaus had a big outdoor crowd, and there was live Jazz underneath the new Highline park. Ended up back downtown at Point State Park, with big crowds, even in the dark, with, among other things, what appeared to be a wedding photoshoot going on.

Tyovan -- you're apparently downtown most days of the week, so I'll defer somewhat to your observations, but I guess I object to the alarmist/tendentious language that you continue to use in your posts.
Dude, you saw two blocks of downtown based on your post. There generally aren't problems near Smithfield St Bridge. Nor are there generally problems around Point Park (because they have their own private police force who proactively patrol). As for the two places that you mentioned on the South Side - Highline and Hofbrauhaus both have private security.

You post as if I'm talking out of my hat.. yet the examples you cite are safe (and I agree with you that they're safe) specifically because they have private security or private police presence.

Go hang out around 9th and Penn, or on French St, or Wood Street, or Market Square, or the other end of Smithfield Street, or Triangle Park. Go to those places and then come back and re-post. Don't go to places that are under active protection and then tell me that downtown is safe.

In the last six months, I've had 3 work from home days and 5 vacation days. Otherwise, I've been downtown every work day. I talk about my daily observations.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:23 PM

807 posts, read 617,338 times
Sorry, Tyovan -- definitely thought I tried to make clear that you are entitled to your observations, and that I don't doubt that you are more well-placed to make such observations than I.

Again, I am just asking you to consider softening your language when you make such posts.

And, I'm not sure how it rates on your downtown "risk" scale, but (on my return to Point State Park from the South Side), I did run on the Mon Wharf after dark. I'll say that there was one "kind of sketchy guy" that might have been mumbling to himself that I gave wide berth, but there was also a father taking two, fairly young kids (like maybe 4 and 6) fishing. So, yea, would I want my wife and child hanging out at the Mon Wharf after sundown last night -- definitely no. They walked around the (as you observe) well-policed Point State Park while I got a run in.

Today, we were again off to safe areas of the city -- some time at the Highland Park velodrome, and a quick stop in Schenley Park/Schenley Plaza to pick up some cheap food at the Asia Tea House. Of note, and not sure if this is a first for Pittsburgh, but one of the kiosks in Schenley Plaza is now focused on Japanese-style crepes (which I didn't even know was a thing). We also ran into a friendly tourist who was having an early dinner at Porch with his wife; the tourist caught our eye, as he was staring up at the Cathedral of Learning like he just landed from Mars, and my wife helpfully gave him a rundown on its history.

Finally, let me thank you for referring to me as "Dude," as it has definitely been at least 15 years since anyone has bestowed that appellation on me -- that time, I think, it was my then-13-year old nephew.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:09 PM

^^^^ really seems to enjoy his life and be naturally happy.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:29 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Tyovan -- you're apparently downtown most days of the week, so I'll defer somewhat to your observations, but I guess I object to the alarmist/tendentious language that you continue to use in your posts.
I'm Downtown daily as well since our office consists of the few city civilians (along with DPW, DPLI, DoMI, and Environmental Services) who aren't permitted to work from home and play bongo drums all day and/or get paid for 40 hours per week while actually "working" 20-30 hours per week.

I honestly haven't noticed an uptick in the amount of vagrancy, panhandling, boorishness, violence, etc. Downtown. It was always there. It was just usually "camouflaged" better within crowds of other hard-working office workers milling about on the sidewalks beside them.

Now that MOST of those hard-working office workers are working from home in the suburbs that "camouflage" is gone, and these people are just much more visible. I really don't think they're greater in numbers, though. They were always there. I just ignore them because I'm too stressed out from my job to care about them.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:33 AM

882 posts, read 335,508 times
But that doesn't fit the narrative that The Big City is a SCARY place and we should all just stay home.

Ironic coming from the same crowd that things wearing a mask is an indicator of being "scared"

Old 09-28-2020, 07:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Oh it's pretty safe downtown and all around the city. If not desolate. I often run from downtown through Oakland, the Hill then back into the city. No issues. But yeah all the work done to get people to live downtown, the cultural district etc. must be preserved and the mayor has to lead the way. Safety, cleanliness and small business is what Pedutotends not to focus on.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:25 AM

keep in mind, though, we aren't talking about carjackings or someone standing on Grant Street, randomly firing a weapon because his anti-psychotics prescription ran out.

there ARE pockets of crime. our downtown is small compared to other cities, but still not everywhere in downtown is the same.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm Downtown daily as well since our office consists of the few city civilians (along with DPW, DPLI, DoMI, and Environmental Services) who aren't permitted to work from home and play bongo drums all day and/or get paid for 40 hours per week while actually "working" 20-30 hours per week.

I honestly haven't noticed an uptick in the amount of vagrancy, panhandling, boorishness, violence, etc. Downtown. It was always there. It was just usually "camouflaged" better within crowds of other hard-working office workers milling about on the sidewalks beside them.

Now that MOST of those hard-working office workers are working from home in the suburbs that "camouflage" is gone, and these people are just much more visible. I really don't think they're greater in numbers, though. They were always there. I just ignore them because I'm too stressed out from my job to care about them.
I can only comment on a couple of bike rides downtown on Penn to the Point. Penn Ave looks seedy as far as the people go. Kind of depressing other than that Thai restaurant that really did an amazing job, but people wise, it was sad. Mostly homeless types. Very different than pre-COVID and the new anti-police movement.

I don't know what Liberty is like or Market Square? Maybe I will take another ride down there someday and really get a vibe, but I just haven't felt like it much.

SCR, aren't you mostly over by the jail area? That region is pretty dead even in normal times.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:52 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Sorry, Tyovan -- definitely thought I tried to make clear that you are entitled to your observations, and that I don't doubt that you are more well-placed to make such observations than I.

Again, I am just asking you to consider softening your language when you make such posts.

And, I'm not sure how it rates on your downtown "risk" scale, but (on my return to Point State Park from the South Side), I did run on the Mon Wharf after dark. I'll say that there was one "kind of sketchy guy" that might have been mumbling to himself that I gave wide berth, but there was also a father taking two, fairly young kids (like maybe 4 and 6) fishing. So, yea, would I want my wife and child hanging out at the Mon Wharf after sundown last night -- definitely no. They walked around the (as you observe) well-policed Point State Park while I got a run in.

Today, we were again off to safe areas of the city -- some time at the Highland Park velodrome, and a quick stop in Schenley Park/Schenley Plaza to pick up some cheap food at the Asia Tea House. Of note, and not sure if this is a first for Pittsburgh, but one of the kiosks in Schenley Plaza is now focused on Japanese-style crepes (which I didn't even know was a thing). We also ran into a friendly tourist who was having an early dinner at Porch with his wife; the tourist caught our eye, as he was staring up at the Cathedral of Learning like he just landed from Mars, and my wife helpfully gave him a rundown on its history.

Finally, let me thank you for referring to me as "Dude," as it has definitely been at least 15 years since anyone has bestowed that appellation on me -- that time, I think, it was my then-13-year old nephew.

There are two Japanese crepe places in Squirrel Hill. There is one on Murray and the other on Forbes. I was curious about it also. I should add that Squirrel Hill has been my neighborhood of choice lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh