Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 17,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
I might suggest Butler, PA. There’s a Walmart Super Center there and plenty of under $200,000 properties for sale with lower taxes in Butler county than Allegheny county. Take a look at Zelionople also—walkable town with sidewalks and 8 miles to the Cranberry Township Walmart Super Center.
They’re both somewhat rural and coming from NYC, you’re going to experience some serious culture shock so maybe closer to the city of Pittsburgh would ease the transition. Good luck!
I just told another user that I completely forgot to consider taxes, haha. Thank you for also bringing it up and making me aware Thank you for your suggestion! I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 05:42 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashysplashy View Post
I can see your point. I never even considered the taxes. I can't believe I haven't. Thank you for making me aware. You can tell I'm new to this process. I appreciate your response!
Bridgeville with the chartiers valley school district has the lowest taxes in Allegheny county. I also live next door but will be moving to bridgeville soon. My son is away at school and we are downsizing into a rental house we already own. I lived in bridgeville for years back in the early 90's without a car. It has 2 bus lines the 31that goes to the walmart and then town and the 41 that goes to our light rail system and then town. The area is very walkable. There is 2 shopping centers (chartiers valley and great southern) 3 grocery stores, multiple banks, restaurants, 3 hardware stores, pharmacy, new library, dry cleaners all within a 10 minute walk. There are sidewalks but the main street is on the busy side. Traffic is slow if you dont use the back roads but they are starting a major reconstruction of the highway exit and main street to eliminate the traffic issues next year.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Bridgeville with the chartiers valley school district has the lowest taxes in Allegheny county. I also live next door but will be moving to bridgeville soon. My son is away at school and we are downsizing into a rental house we already own. I lived in bridgeville for years back in the early 90's without a car. It has 2 bus lines the 31that goes to the walmart and then town and the 41 that goes to our light rail system and then town. The area is very walkable. There is 2 shopping centers (chartiers valley and great southern) 3 grocery stores, multiple banks, restaurants, 3 hardware stores, pharmacy, new library, dry cleaners all within a 10 minute walk. There are sidewalks but the main street is on the busy side. Traffic is slow if you dont use the back roads but they are starting a major reconstruction of the highway exit and main street to eliminate the traffic issues next year.
I second the Bridgeville recommendation. Great community. I blame the congestion on South Fayette Township. They are approving "slap 'em up quick" Ryan and Maronda housing subdivisions like crazy without any consideration on how all of those new residents' vehicles are going to impact the aging infrastructure in surrounding communities like Bridgeville. As the rare liberal on this sub-forum I'd almost argue that South Fayette should in good faith offer some money to Bridgeville and/or PennDOT so they can make infrastructure improvements that will alleviate the growing pains that are being experienced.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I second the Bridgeville recommendation. Great community. I blame the congestion on South Fayette Township. They are approving "slap 'em up quick" Ryan and Maronda housing subdivisions like crazy without any consideration on how all of those new residents' vehicles are going to impact the aging infrastructure in surrounding communities like Bridgeville. As the rare liberal on this sub-forum I'd almost argue that South Fayette should in good faith offer some money to Bridgeville and/or PennDOT so they can make infrastructure improvements that will alleviate the growing pains that are being experienced.
Bridgeville and south fayette have both paid money towards the new intersection and bridge. I think bridgeville chipped in 800k and i am not sure about sf contribution bcause the developers of the new commercial sites are adding money for the project.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:42 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Bridgeville and south fayette have both paid money towards the new intersection and bridge. I think bridgeville chipped in 800k and i am not sure about sf contribution bcause the developers of the new commercial sites are adding money for the project.
Bridgeville has a nice little walkable downtown area. Close by is Shouf's Cafe a true gem of a place. Shouf's Cafe ‹ Mediterranean Cuisine – American Specialties

Old 10-01-2020, 01:57 PM

755 posts, read 472,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Bridgeville has a nice little walkable downtown area. Close by is Shouf's Cafe a true gem of a place. Shouf's Cafe ‹ Mediterranean Cuisine – American Specialties
I like Bridgeville too, but I travel through there all the time and the congestion drives me crazy. I still think Washington, PA, (being at the intersection of I-70 and I-79 is a big bonus . . . and neither being toll roads), might be a good fit for the OP. It's easy to get into the Laurel Highlands, WVA and western Maryland for recreation - biking, hiking, boating, fishing, camping, skiing.

It never feels congested to me and the people are very friendly in the shops and breweries/distilleries, etc. We had a great time a couple years ago at the Whiskey Rebellion festival. The Marketplace at Emerald Valley is awesome: https://themarketplace.farm/

Old 10-01-2020, 05:44 PM

18 posts, read 17,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
$200k isn't much. All I can think of are Dormont, Crafton, Beechview, Mount Washington. But those areas have small back yards are are more Left-ish. I know nothing of Forest Hills other than it seems above your budget. Maybe look further away from the city and get another car if you can.
I've been doing some thinking. With the pros and cons of what I am looking for. I have gathered all the information from this thread. I am willing to make certain sacrifices, if it means that it could be the better option for my family.

Crafton seems to be the place that can possibly offer me a lot for someone who chooses to not use a car at the moment.

Now, in terms of Crafton, do you have more information on that? I did try and go through some posts, but I'd love a more current opinion. If you can. If you can't, that's no problem at all

Is Crafton safe? Are people respectful towards those with a difference of opinion (politics in my case)? Does crime spill over from Crafton Heights or some of the other areas that may deal with crime?

Thanks so much!!! You've been a great help so far.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashysplashy View Post
I've been doing some thinking. With the pros and cons of what I am looking for. I have gathered all the information from this thread. I am willing to make certain sacrifices, if it means that it could be the better option for my family.

Crafton seems to be the place that can possibly offer me a lot for someone who chooses to not use a car at the moment.

Now, in terms of Crafton, do you have more information on that? I did try and go through some posts, but I'd love a more current opinion. If you can. If you can't, that's no problem at all

Is Crafton safe? Are people respectful towards those with a difference of opinion (politics in my case)? Does crime spill over from Crafton Heights or some of the other areas that may deal with crime?

Thanks so much!!! You've been a great help so far.
If you are looking at crafton look at ingram also, it is right next to crafton but the school district is a tad better and there may be more homes in your price range.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:17 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
One thing I would like to mention and I am sure many Pittsburghers agree. Please leave that horrible NYC attitude back home and don't bring it to Pittsburgh. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:43 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Crafton and Ingram are both very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh