Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 09:38 AM

18 posts, read 17,354 times

Advertisements

UPDATE 1: I would much rather be closer to a Walmart, haha. I WILL KEEP THINGS MORE BROAD. If I can get to Downtown in an hour, great. BUT, I am opening to being over that. I would prefer to easily commute to Walmart/Supermarket/Shops/etc via (hopefully) one bus ride in a decent amount of time.

It's more important for me to have more land, an abundant of sidewalks, and be closer to the amenities above. Being close to Downtown isn't as important.

UPDATE 2: Does anyone have information on Cheswick? Also, based on suggestions so far, Crafton seems cool.

UPDATE 3 : Out of Cheswick and Crafton ... I PREFER CHESWICK. Seems more open and still near a good amount of necessities.

Hello! I hope everyone is wonderful and safe. Thank you for taking the time out to view my post. I am looking to move from New York City to Pittsburgh. We would like to stay in allegheny county. You are open to hearing about other counties, but hopefully we find our dream place in allegheny county.

My Husband will be the one working. With his occupation, he may be sent to work anywhere in the Pittsburgh area. Therefore, we don't necessarily need to commute to a specific location.

Since I will be home with our child, I would like to be able to commute, via public transportation, to Downtown Pittsburgh in less than an hour. 40 minutes or less would be fabulous, though I know that is asking for way too much. I don't really need to head to the Downtown area often, it's just in case I have the desire to do so.

I have done some research, and I would love to be in a suburb where houses aren't so close to one another, where I can get a decent amount of land (especially backyard space), and where there is an abundant of sidewalks. And since I desire to take public transportation to get around, I would like to deal with one bus ride. I don't want to have to transfer to another bus. If that's possible.

Our budget is under 200k. We have looked into Forest Hills. It looks absolutely beautiful. Sidewalks every so often, easy enough to get around without a car, tree lined streets, close to amenities in surrounding areas (easily accessible via public transportation).

I am only put off because I have been told that the surrounding areas have a bit of crime. And I would prefer a community with a better school district, and to be around other suburbs that aren't known for crime.

And, I have to be honest, please no hate ... I would prefer an area that is right leaning. Maybe even moderate to right leaning.

I know, I know. I am being picky, right? It's just that, if I am going to invest in property, I'd love to have what I am looking for.

*Under 200k
* Close to Walmart, Target, Supermarket, etc (Preferably an easy busy ride to a Walmart).
* Decent amount of land (especially backyard space)
* At least some sidewalks every now and again (easy enough to walk around)
* Low crime, safe area, decent school district
* moderate to right leaning (but whatever meets our needs, I am fine with that as well)

Thank you for your help! I appreciate every single one of you. Take care.

Last edited by ashysplashy; 09-28-2020 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Updates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 09:47 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
$200k isn't much. All I can think of are Dormont, Crafton, Beechview, Mount Washington. But those areas have small back yards are are more Left-ish. I know nothing of Forest Hills other than it seems above your budget. Maybe look further away from the city and get another car if you can.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashysplashy View Post
Hello! I hope everyone is wonderful and safe. Thank you for taking the time out to view my post. I am looking to move from New York City to Pittsburgh. We would like to stay in allegheny county. You can definitely give us information on communities outside the county, but we really want to stay in allegheny county.

My Husband will be the one working. With his occupation, he may be sent to work anywhere in the Pittsburgh area. Therefore, we don't necessarily need to commute to a specific location.

Since I will be home with our child, I would like to be able to commute, via public transportation, to Downtown Pittsburgh in less than an hour. 40 minutes or less would be fabulous, though I know that is asking for way too much. I don't really need to head to the Downtown area often, it's just in case I have the desire to do so.

I have done some research, and I would love to be in a suburb where houses aren't so close to one another, where I can get a decent amount of land (especially backyard space), and where there is an abundant of sidewalks.

Our budget is 200k. Though, we would like to stick to a price under that amount. We have looked into Forest Hills. It looks absolutely beautiful. Sidewalks every so often, easy enough to get around without a car, tree lined streets, close to amenities in surrounding areas (easily accessible via public transportation).

I am only put off because I have been told that the surrounding areas have a bit of crime. And I would prefer a community with a better school district, and to be around other suburbs that aren't know for crime.

And, I have to be honest, please no hate ... I would prefer an area that is right leaning. Maybe even moderate to right leaning.

I know, I know. I am being picky, right? It's just that, if I am going to invest in property, I'd love to have what I am looking for.

*200k, but desire to be under that amount
* Close to Walmart, Target, Supermarket, etc (Preferably an easy busy ride to a Walmart).
* moderate to right leaning (but whatever meets our needs, I am fine with that as well)

Oakmont (Riverview School is just okay) and Sewickley (Quaker Valley is pretty good) come to mind. Blawnox and Aspinwall (Fox Chapel School is great) are probably too expensive for the $200K, but you could just have a look.

A bus ride downtown from my suggestions is just okay, but why would you need to go downtown? There isn't much in the way of shopping down there anymore as Pittsburgh is pretty small.

Many on here will recommend the city, but at $200K with a kid and looking for a backyard, I wouldn't go that route.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
$200k isn't much. All I can think of are Dormont, Crafton, Beechview, Mount Washington. But those areas have small back yards are are more Left-ish. I know nothing of Forest Hills other than it seems above your budget. Maybe look further away from the city and get another car if you can.
Thank you for your response! There are currently 16 homes for sale in Forest Hills, under 200k. That sounds awesome. I just wish the area was around communities with less crime. So I have heard.

Also, I have seen lovely homes in Dormont and Beechview, but unfortunately, all the homes are essentially on top of one another. I would love more open space. But you did name lovely areas! And for that, I am appreciative.

As for Crafton, that seems a bit more of what I am looking for. If I were to compare from the other locations you've mentioned.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 AM

755 posts, read 472,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashysplashy View Post
Hello! I hope everyone is wonderful and safe. Thank you for taking the time out to view my post. I am looking to move from New York City to Pittsburgh. We would like to stay in allegheny county. You are open to hearing about other counties, but hopefully we find our dream place in allegheny county.

I have done some research, and I would love to be in a suburb where houses aren't so close to one another, where I can get a decent amount of land (especially backyard space), and where there is an abundant of sidewalks. And since I desire to take public transportation to get around, I would like to deal with one bus ride. I don't want to have to transfer to another bus. If that's possible.

Our budget is under 200k. We have looked into Forest Hills. It looks absolutely beautiful. Sidewalks every so often, easy enough to get around without a car, tree lined streets, close to amenities in surrounding areas (easily accessible via public transportation).

I am only put off because I have been told that the surrounding areas have a bit of crime. And I would prefer a community with a better school district, and to be around other suburbs that aren't known for crime.

*Under 200k

Take a look at South Park Twp., or Deer Lakes Twp. Both more conservative than Forest Hills, from what I hear, but not crazy in any particular direction politically. Mostly live and let live and keep out of my business conservative.
But $200,000 is going to be tough for what you are looking for unless you want to put some work into it. I really like Forest Hills. Taxes are high due to the school district (Woodland Hills).

Last edited by Charley Barker; 09-28-2020 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 09-28-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Oakmont (Riverview School is just okay) and Sewickley (Quaker Valley is pretty good) come to mind. Blawnox and Aspinwall (Fox Chapel School is great) are probably too expensive for the $200K, but you could just have a look.

A bus ride downtown from my suggestions is just okay, but why would you need to go downtown? There isn't much in the way of shopping down there anymore as Pittsburgh is pretty small.

Many on here will recommend the city, but at $200K with a kid and looking for a backyard, I wouldn't go that route.

Thank you for your response! You know what, you're probably right. I would much rather be closer to a Walmart than to Downtown Pittsburgh, haha. I appreciate your suggestions.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:08 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
perhaps look into west view, ross township, emsworth, maybe Ben Avon ( probably over budget), Avalon. all have easy commute to downtown in about 15-20 minutes. 200k doesn't go as far in our region as it used to but if you keep your search broad, you'll find something that will work for you.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
perhaps look into west view, ross township, emsworth, maybe Ben Avon ( probably over budget), Avalon. all have easy commute to downtown in about 15-20 minutes. 200k doesn't go as far in our region as it used to but if you keep your search broad, you'll find something that will work for you.
Thank you for your response! I agree. I have updated my original post. It's more important for me to have the land and abundant of sidewalks. And to be closer to shops, and not necessarily have to be near Downtown, as that is least important.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:25 AM

Does anyone have information on Cheswick?

Old 09-28-2020, 10:26 AM

755 posts, read 472,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Take a look at South Park Twp., or Deer Lakes Twp. Both more conservative than Forest Hills, from what I hear, but not crazy in any particular direction politically. Mostly live and let live and keep out of my business conservative.
But $200,000 is going to be tough for what you are looking for unless you want to put some work into it. I really like Forest Hills. Taxes are high due to the school district (Woodland Hills).
Edit: I just saw that you are looking for sidewalks. Not many in SPT or DLT! Sorry about that. Bethel Park does have sidewalks in many areas and especially around the light rail system (called the "T" in Pittsburgh).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh