Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 05:40 PM

437 posts, read 187,465 times

Advertisements

Here is a list of UFA defensemen. There are several ex-Penguins players on the list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/defenseman/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 05:47 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The burden is on you pal. You say don’t sign him, so who do you think should replace him?
Nah pal, I said they can lose in the first round with or without him, but please do post where I said not to sign him?

Old 06-25-2022, 05:49 PM

Madden did this column today. The only name he mentioned is John Klingberg:
https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...streak-to-end/

Old 06-25-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
Madden did this column today. The only name he mentioned is John Klingberg:
https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...streak-to-end/
He’s been pushing Klingberg since the talk of Letang getting a better deal elsewhere and saying he wouldn’t sign him for 4 years…and I don’t buy into them missing the playoffs without Letang, but even if they did it matters little. They have no chance at a championship with or without Letang.

He and Yohe have also promoted bringing POJ back up from Wilkes Barre.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:00 PM

Looking back on things - and yes, hindsight is 20/20 - the Penguins got themselves into a pickle with Letang. He should have been extended last year or traded two years ago. That way they would have avoided the 35+ contract or they could have gotten some assets in return for him. And perhaps this is what JR had in mind. Who knows? The Penguins rightfully sacrificed the future for Stanley Cup wins six years ago, but as a result their farm system is nearly barren. The price of free agents is going to be expensive so that's why I say they in a tough spot no matter what they do.

This is where I really miss JR. He made some bad deals, no question, but he also wasn't afraid to make bold moves. I don't trust Hextall yet. He has to earn that trust but signing Jeff Carter is looking like a bad deal now and that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about Hextall's judgement.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Looking back on things - and yes, hindsight is 20/20 - the Penguins got themselves into a pickle with Letang. He should have been extended last year or traded two years ago. That way they would have avoided the 35+ contract or they could have gotten some assets in return for him. And perhaps this is what JR had in mind. Who knows? The Penguins rightfully sacrificed the future for Stanley Cup wins six years ago, but as a result their farm system is nearly barren. The price of free agents is going to be expensive so that's why I say they in a tough spot no matter what they do.

This is where I really miss JR. He made some bad deals, no question, but he also wasn't afraid to make bold moves. I don't trust Hextall yet. He has to earn that trust but signing Jeff Carter is looking like a bad deal now and that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about Hextall's judgement.
Not trading Malkin was also a bad move…and extending Carter for no reason was a terrible move by Hextall. I won’t be surprised if the band is kept together or not. Yohe reported Crosby plans to play 3 more years, and if FSG has no plans to rebuild, they must be satisfied with banking $$$ and losing in the 1st round. I had hoped for better from them.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
He’s been pushing Klingberg since the talk of Letang getting a better deal elsewhere and saying he wouldn’t sign him for 4 years…and I don’t buy into them missing the playoffs without Letang, but even if they did it matters little. They have no chance at a championship with or without Letang.

He and Yohe have also promoted bringing POJ back up from Wilkes Barre.

I concur. It's not a lock that they miss the playoffs sans Letang. Madden is way overvaluing Letang. At some point in the not too distant future, something has to be done about Letang. Sign him and risk an albatross contract, let him walk and get nothing in return...there's really no good answer at this juncture for someone of Letang's caliber.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Not trading Malkin was also a bad move…and extending Carter for no reason was a terrible move by Hextall. I won’t be surprised if the band is kept together or not. Yohe reported Crosby plans to play 3 more years, and if FSG has no plans to rebuild, they must be satisfied with banking $$$ and losing in the 1st round. I had hoped for better from them.

Yes, Malkin as well. The only player that's untouchable is Sid. Letang had a no-trade clause. I think it was 12 teams he could name. Not sure about Malkin but both had no-movement clauses. Still could have gotten assets back for both even with the limited markets.

If Sid is playing three more years, then there's the limit on term for both Malkin and Letang but neither would go that low on term. Not a chance.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, Malkin as well. The only player that's untouchable is Sid. Letang had a no-trade clause. I think it was 12 teams he could name. Not sure about Malkin but both had no-movement clauses. Still could have gotten assets back for both even with the limited markets.

If Sid is playing three more years, then there's the limit on term for both Malkin and Letang but neither would go that low on term. Not a chance.
3 years is what Yohe reported, but that could certainly change.

It’s almost like the organization knows they’re not going to accept what they’ve been offered and if they leave then the Pens can say we tried to keep them. Last time I listened to Madden he said he thought the Pens and Letang were close to getting a deal done, but then said he was told by a source that they’re not and Letang wants a minimum 5 year deal and over the $$$ what the Pens offered him.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:28 AM

Letang will get five years on the open market. All it takes is one team to make that offer and Letang will accept. I just hope the Penguins don't do five years. Especially at this juncture where they are bidding against themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh