Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 11:49 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
This is what the East End Centre of the Universe of the Most Holy Pure and Progressive People's Democratic Republic of Pittsburgh gets when they elect a virtue-signaling, attention-seeking clown as mayor.
speaking of the east end, one of the things that drives me nuts is the way erika strassburger has allowed the apple store on walnut street to COMPLETELY MONOPOLIZE THE SIDEWALK to the point where you basically have to walk in the street to avoid the barricades they have set up - but apple is progressive cult with $$$$$$$ so they get to do what they want, screw the other (small) businesses on the street

Last edited by BUILD PENN SQUARE; 10-06-2020 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 11:50 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...t?oid=16570151

Old 10-06-2020, 11:52 AM

https://daily.jstor.org/how-natural-...-rights-issue/

Old 10-06-2020, 11:54 AM

https://www.crresearch.com/blog/hair...ack-experience

https://www.allure.com/story/beauty-...and-interviews

Old 10-06-2020, 11:57 AM

This controversy coincides with the explosion of black owned haircare lines formulated specifically for natural black hair of all textures. Everything from fine to kinky.

https://www.allure.com/gallery/black...ir-care-brands

Old 10-06-2020, 12:10 PM

755 posts, read 472,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
This is a national issue and Pittsburgh is part of this nation. A black woman in natural braids looks very smart to me.....not to mention healthy.

Oprah is a philanthropist and donates to many caused including the Taylor case. Read up on Oprah. You have a problem with a black woman that is a self made billionaire while at the same time admiring Trump? Again gg knock it off. Your hatred is becoming apparent. You are scared and upset about inevitable change. Embrace change and live a happy life. Current events are getting in your way.
True, this is a national issue, but gets little play in a city with such a small African American population. So it's not unusual that many people on this forum are unaware. I'm not a fan of the mayor, for reasons cited elsewhere, but he needs to be able to address the small stuff and the big stuff. That's part of the job. It's sometimes the hardest part of the job. I would like to see him focus more on regionalism initiatives to advance the stature of the entire area. He seems more bent upon appeasing the far-left (I'm not saying THIS is a far-left issue at all), which will stand directly in the way of advancing a regional agenda.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:23 PM

882 posts, read 335,446 times
It’s sad that this is even necessary. Nobody should give a sh@t what someone else’s hair looks like. And if you’re opposed because you think it causes the mayor to “lose focus” on other things, then I’d say that most people likely have a greater attention span than you do, and can focus on more than one thing at a time.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
True, this is a national issue, but gets little play in a city with such a small African American population. So it's not unusual that many people on this forum are unaware. I'm not a fan of the mayor, for reasons cited elsewhere, but he needs to be able to address the small stuff and the big stuff. That's part of the job. It's sometimes the hardest part of the job. I would like to see him focus more on regionalism initiatives to advance the stature of the entire area. He seems more bent upon appeasing the far-left (I'm not saying THIS is a far-left issue at all), which will stand directly in the way of advancing a regional agenda.
I would not call upwards of 30% small. That 30% is a large portion of his electorate and he should work on issues specific to that group. Similar to evangelicals whoever they are. Who is this far left you people refer to? I really feel you would hate anything left let alone far left whatever that may be. I never knew grown men that have hiss fits on a daily basis. This is inane.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:36 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:
A black woman serving in the military should have the right to wear braided hairstyles. It is natural and healthier for the hair considering the conditions. Braids are considered a "protective" hairstyle.
But they already do.

"3.1.3.3. Locs, braids, twists, micro-braids, french braids, dutch braids and cornrows are
authorized. Locs are defined as portions of hair that have been intentionally or
unintentionally fused together to form a loc or locs. A braid or twist is two or more portions
of interwoven hair. If adding additional hair, it must be a natural-looking color, similar to
the individual's hair color. It must be conservative (moderate, being within reasonable
limits; not excessive or extreme) and not present a faddish appearance. Hair must not
exceed bulk and length standards and must not extend below the bottom of the collar (see
figure 3.4). Headgear must fit properly."
- Air Force Instruction 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel
https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/p...afi36-2903.pdf
Pages 27&28 of the PDF.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:42 PM

755 posts, read 472,413 times
Quote:
I would not call upwards of 30% small. That 30% is a large portion of his electorate and he should work on issues specific to that group. Similar to evangelicals whoever they are. Who is this far left you people refer to? I really feel you would hate anything left let alone far left whatever that may be. I never knew grown men that have hiss fits on a daily basis. This is inane.
Sorry, I really thought the African American population of Pittsburgh was around 15%. I'll have to better inform myself. You're right (ah, correct): I am guilty of assigning labels here without enough consideration. I am pretty liberal on most issues. My observations of the mayor, and knowing people that worked in city government, leave me with a feeling that he is the consummate follower, not the leader he would like to be. I was actually defending him on this, saying he needs to pay attention to all issues that confront him, from constituent concerns to regional development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh