Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Howard Fineman, a native Pittsburgher, MSNBC correspondent, and I believe senior political analyst with Newsweek said, prior to the PA primary, something to the effect that when he tells people there is not a single steel mill still in operation within the Pittsburgh city limits they can't believe it; and he goes on to point out that Pittsburgh is now, "a big college town."

I think this is where Pittsburgh has the advantage over other rust-belt cities. Maybe it's because that in its developmental decades there was such largesse in the city; it was around the 1910's that Pittsburgh had more per capita wealth than any city in the country other than New York, and the wealthiest of the wealthy, the industrialists, Andrew Carnegie most notably, were known for their philanthropy, either heartfelt, as PR ploys or upon the advice of tax lawyers. Carnegie, a poor kid from Pittsburgh's North Side, never paid himself more than 50K a year, and gave the rest away.

I saw a documentary the other day that talked about how Pittsburgh is on the cutting edge in the effort to make practical alternative energy sources like solar and nuclear, and that many of those scientists involved had been previously employed by giants like Westinghouse, and we all know how well regarded internationally are Carnegie Mellon's engineering program and Pitt's medical school. It seems to me, that may be where Pittsburgh's next boom could come from; the city with the worst case of brain drain, changes the game and builds a brain of its own.

What you probably need is a collaborative effort on the part of universities and businesses, city government and independent local scientists, and you may see Pittsburgh really turn around. Somebody once said, and at this time I can't remember who but... "There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come," ...something to that effect. It is arguable that there is no idea more important today, more urgent than alternative energy. For one thing, we probably wouldn't be in Iraq if we weren't dependent on foreign oil, and Pittsburgh, the Smoky City itself, could be if encouraged, a major center for the necessary cure.
I'm no expert, but Pittsburgh sure seems poised to make a big splash. Not unlike Silicon Valley... Of course I don't have a crystal ball, but it does appear that there is much potential to be something big. Plus, Silicon Valley has the problem of really high housing costs, which for the time being is not a Pittsburgh problem.

Did you see the series the PBS News Hour did on Pittsburgh during the week of the PA primary? Pretty impressive. I believe you can watch it on their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,348,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post

Did you see the series the PBS News Hour did on Pittsburgh during the week of the PA primary? Pretty impressive. I believe you can watch it on their website.
I did. I grew up in Pittsburgh and haven't been back in years. So I'm nostalgic, which is what brought me to this forum. I read the Post-Gazette on line about everyday, and I never miss anything on TV, if I know about it.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM

314 posts, read 846,311 times
I think the key word in all of this is emerging robotic market.
Online NewsHour Video Player

Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Good point!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:42 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,133,707 times
Pittsburgh won't be like Silicon Valley until they change their business environment. I know that your average Joe doesn't focus on this because they don't really understand it. But this is the biggest problem in the Pittsburgh area. The city is a horrible place to open a business, in fact I was initially going to start a business in the Pittsburgh area but decided to move and do it elsewhere.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 AM

632 posts, read 1,734,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Pittsburgh won't be like Silicon Valley until they change their business environment. I know that your average Joe doesn't focus on this because they don't really understand it. But this is the biggest problem in the Pittsburgh area. The city is a horrible place to open a business, in fact I was initially going to start a business in the Pittsburgh area but decided to move and do it elsewhere.
In your opinion, what is the problem with the "business environment" here? Exactly what should change in the city to make it more attractive to business owners?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,038,175 times
Pittsburgh is consistently ranked among the top 10 best cities to relocate or expand business. It was again just a few months ago.

But Humanoid is partially right (I know, right?) - the business climate in Pennsylvania (it's not specific to Pittsburgh) is not nearly competitive enough and it is a real problem.

Last edited by guylocke; 05-13-2008 at 09:21 AM..

Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
I know the complaint I have seen most often is the high corporate taxes in Pennsylvania.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
In your opinion, what is the problem with the "business environment" here? Exactly what should change in the city to make it more attractive to business owners?
Yes, I'm interested in this too. I hear that there are very entrenched special interests in the area that make it difficult for businesses. However, it sure seems like the educational institutions are doing their part make the area atttractive. A big part of Silicon Valley's success was due to Stanford and SRI being here.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 PM

85 posts, read 285,747 times
I think people need to learn to take the good with the bad. There are other advantages.

I can see taxes being a challenge, and this next comment is not particular to any poster in this forum, but too often I hear people put down Pittsburgh in comparison to some imagined other place that has its own drawbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh