Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 10:32 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
People, like the woman in Braddock, always end up on the wrong side of history. Pittsburgh is the exception not the rule. This is one of the least diverse places in America. The demographics in Pittsburgh represent a 1980s America. Not America 2020.
likely the #1 reason is a less than robust economy that attracts outsiders, whether domestic or foreign.

this can be due to our geographic location, negative perception, or pre-dominant leadership in the municipalities/cities across the metro area for the last 60+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 10:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
People, like the woman in Braddock, always end up on the wrong side of history. Pittsburgh is the exception not the rule. This is one of the least diverse places in America. The demographics in Pittsburgh represent a 1980s America. Not America 2020.
Lots of global places "lack diversity" and they do great. Heck lots of US cities are wildly white and do wonderfully. Diversity doesn't equate to a positive city at all. Never understood why people think "being too white" was a negative. Colorado Springs which makes Pittsburgh seem the most diverse cities in the world, does just fine. Their violent crime rate is WAY lower than Pittsburgh for example.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:28 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This thread started out with the story of a (white) woman being called the n-word by a crazy yinzer, and has pivoted into a discussion of how leftists are the real baddies and Donald Trump.

This is exactly why I don't spend much time on the forum any longer.

We have one thread already dedicated to discussing the national election. Can't we just keep that crap there where it can be ignored by those of us who don't come here to argue politics??
^ This.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:41 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ This.
I fully agree, however, you yourself brought up Trump in your earlier post:

“It's not acceptable to intimidate or bully others despite the fact that we now have a president who thinks it's fashionable to do so via Twitter.”

We all need to do our part.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:32 PM

1,553 posts, read 924,552 times
Maybe they can find some way to get the piece of human garbage in an orange jumpsuit and introduced to some sisters in the Allegheny County Jail...

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/1...this-time.html

Old 10-13-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Maybe they can find some way to get the piece of human garbage in an orange jumpsuit and introduced to some sisters in the Allegheny County Jail...

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/1...this-time.html
You want people locked up for calling other people names?

Old 10-13-2020, 10:28 PM

139 posts, read 76,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You want people locked up for calling other people names?

Today the left does. Tomorrow they'll be calling for the death penalty.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screechingweasel View Post
Today the left does. Tomorrow they'll be calling for the death penalty.
Bingo

Old 10-14-2020, 06:29 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Are you Excusing the behavior in the video?
No, not at all. My girlfriend and her children live in Latin America. So I have a very personal stake in not tolerating racism...

However, I dislike the media fawning over her. If this had happened to a regular person, there's no way that it would make the news. I also don't like her hypocrisy of using her celebrity and her husband's political power when it suits her, but then hiding behind the facade of 'I'm not just a political spouse, nor am I a politician. I'm Saint Gisele and I just preach love and I should never be questioned' when it likewise suits her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
To know her life story is to understand the modern immigrant experience.
Most immigrants don't come to this country illegally and then marry into a life of privilege and get a massive media and political platform thanks to their connection to their spouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
she knows her place - as SPOUSE of the public official, not a de facto elected person herself.
No, she doesn't. The problem is that she DOESN'T know her place. She constantly wants to have her cake and eat it too. Yes, she has done a lot of good for Braddock and its residents.
However, she picks and chooses when she wants to identify as a community-based social-services provider and when she wants to be the 'Second Lady of Pennsylvania'. Isn't it odd that she gets more press coverage than her husband? Even on policy positions? Whats Lt Gov Fetterman done in office? Nothing much other than a state-wide listening tour regarding marijuana legalization. Whats Second Lady Fetterman done while her husband's been in office? Run her mouth off about immigration and the census and a story gets run in the media about her when she got called a nasty name. She has more of a public-facing policy role than her husband. And again, she hypocritically chooses which platform she wants to stand on. When she wants attention, she's the Second Lady. When shes under attack, she gets upset and asks not be pigeon-holed as a mere political spouse - even though the headline of her Facebook page brags that she's the Second Lady of Pennsylvania.

My problem with her is that she hypocritically chooses which identity platform she wants to stand on when it suits her. She gets more press regarding policies than her husband, even though he's the elected official. And even in terms of press for her ceremonial role, why in the heck does the 'Second Lady' of this state get 100x more press than the 'First Lady' of Pennsylvania? And through all of this, the media treats her like she's Saint Gisele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Oh, look. An entire thread of victim-shaming. Nice.
She didnt do anything to deserve being verbally assaulted by that woman. And nobody ever does anything to warrant being the victim of racism.

What bothers me is that the media reported it simply because it happened to her. If it was a Latino construction worker elsewhere who got called some nasty names, it would never make the news.
Like I said, someone filed a false police report and tried to get me arrested because of how I display my political ideology - and that certainly didn't make the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
We have one thread already dedicated to discussing the national election. Can't we just keep that crap there where it can be ignored by those of us who don't come here to argue politics??
Everything was becoming increasingly politicized and partisan even before the pandemic. The pandemic killed regular life - what else is there left to talk about that isn't political? Concerts? Professional sports? New economic developments? No - we're seeing an economy that's imploding after having been suffocated and we're in the midst of a culture war in which the left claims that its fighting for physical survival for our citizens, and in which the right claims that its fighting for the ideological survival of the founding ideals of our country.

Welcome to America, circa 1775 or 1860; or Germany, circa 1932. Everything is political.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Things will settle down after the election I would imagine.
Things are going to be worse, no matter who wins.
If Biden wins, conservatives will blame voting fraud from mail-in voting.
If Trump wins, liberals won't accept it because of the polling and they'll make up some other conspiracy as to how Trump cheated and is illegitimately holding onto power and Nancy Pelosi will launch another witch hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Diversity doesn't equate to a positive city at all. Never understood why people think "being too white" was a negative. Colorado Springs which makes Pittsburgh seem the most diverse cities in the world, does just fine. Their violent crime rate is WAY lower than Pittsburgh for example.
They're also home to Fort Carson (25,000 soldiers), the Air Force Academy, Schriever Air Force Base, Peterson Air Force Base, and Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station. There's also Canadian Forces stationed there as part of NORAD. I have a feeling a lot of that contributes to the local culture, wealth, and safety.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:10 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
No, not at all. My girlfriend and her children live in Latin America. So I have a very personal stake in not tolerating racism...

However, I dislike the media fawning over her. If this had happened to a regular person, there's no way that it would make the news. I also don't like her hypocrisy of using her celebrity and her husband's political power when it suits her, but then hiding behind the facade of 'I'm not just a political spouse, nor am I a politician. I'm Saint Gisele and I just preach love and I should never be questioned' when it likewise suits her.

Your issue with this lady seems deep rooted. Do you want to dictate how she lives her life? You can disagree with someone's life or lifestyle while at the same time minding your own business.

Most immigrants don't come to this country illegally and then marry into a life of privilege and get a massive media and political platform thanks to their connection to their spouse.

Is she a legal US citizen currently? What about the children? Don't hate

No, she doesn't. The problem is that she DOESN'T know her place
. She constantly wants to have her cake and eat it too. Yes, she has done a lot of good for Braddock and its residents.
However, she picks and chooses when she wants to identify as a community-based social-services provider and when she wants to be the 'Second Lady of Pennsylvania'. Isn't it odd that she gets more press coverage than her husband? Even on policy positions? Whats Lt Gov Fetterman done in office? Nothing much other than a state-wide listening tour regarding marijuana legalization. Whats Second Lady Fetterman done while her husband's been in office? Run her mouth off about immigration and the census and a story gets run in the media about her when she got called a nasty name. She has more of a public-facing policy role than her husband. And again, she hypocritically chooses which platform she wants to stand on. When she wants attention, she's the Second Lady. When shes under attack, she gets upset and asks not be pigeon-holed as a mere political spouse - even though the headline of her Facebook page brags that she's the Second Lady of Pennsylvania.

So she does not know her place and you do? Black people were hung from trees for not knowing their place. Sounds odd to me as if you know her place in life? You want to dictate how she chooses to live? Let this woman live her best life while you mind your business. This approach would be less stressful on you. She has done a lot for Braddock. What have you done?

My problem with her is that she hypocritically chooses which identity platform she wants to stand on when it suits her. She gets more press regarding policies than her husband, even though he's the elected official. And even in terms of press for her ceremonial role, why in the heck does the 'Second Lady' of this state get 100x more press than the 'First Lady' of Pennsylvania? And through all of this, the media treats her like she's Saint Gisele.

She did not do anything to deserve being verbally assaulted by that woman. And nobody ever does anything to warrant being the victim of racism.

What bothers me is that the media reported it simply because it happened to her. If it was a Latino construction worker elsewhere who got called some nasty names, it would never make the news.
Like I said, someone filed a false police report and tried to get me arrested because of how I display my political ideology - and that certainly didn't make the news.

Everything was becoming increasingly politicized and partisan even before the pandemic. The pandemic killed regular life - what else is there left to talk about that isn't political? Concerts? Professional sports? New economic developments? No - we're seeing an economy that's imploding after having been suffocated and we're in the midst of a culture war in which the left claims that its fighting for physical survival for our citizens, and in which the right claims that its fighting for the ideological survival of the founding ideals of our country.

Family life, self care, self preservation, fall foliage and home improvement.........and getting rid of the Trump cluster@!#$.

Welcome to America, circa 1775 or 1860; or Germany, circa 1932. Everything is political.

Things are going to be worse, no matter who wins.
If Biden wins, conservatives will blame voting fraud from mail-in voting.
If Trump wins, liberals won't accept it because of the polling and they'll make up some other conspiracy as to how Trump cheated and is illegitimately holding onto power and Nancy Pelosi will launch another witch hunt.

[b]Sexist.[/B]

They're also home to Fort Carson (25,000 soldiers), the Air Force Academy, Schriever Air Force Base, Peterson Air Force Base, and Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station. There's also Canadian Forces stationed there as part of NORAD. I have a feeling a lot of that contributes to the local culture, wealth, and safety.
To busy to try and understand your hatred towards this woman. I never knew grown men could be so petty and bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh