Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,206,916 times

Advertisements

The area where Mellon Arena now stands will hopefully take on a new shape in ten years. It is a twenty-eight acre site. The Penguins must develop at least 2.8 acres a year starting in 2010 or 2011. In other words, all twenty-eight acres must be developed by 2020 or 2021, or the Penguins, who own development rights, will face hefty fines. I think a heavy emphasis should be put on quality housing and office space, with some retail and green space in this new Uptown neighborhood. The area down on Fifth around the new Consol Energy Center should be the focus for new businesses like bars, restaurants etc. to cater to the arena crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 05:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,569,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Bedford Ave. is certainly the Hill. Most Hill residents also consider Uptown, and Soho to be part of the Hill as well.

One thing to correct Drover. The Detroit riots didn't occur in April of 1968. They occurred in July of 1967. There were several major riots prior to April of 1968.
New York in 1964.
LA (Watts) in 1965
Cleveland in 1966
Detroit, Newark, and Cincinnati in 1967.
I would like to add Philly and Chicago to this unfortunate list. The former had a riot breakout in 1964 and the latter in 1968 after MLK was assassinated .

Old 07-07-2009, 05:16 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,777,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
I would like to add Philly and Chicago to this unfortunate list. The former had a riot breakout in 1964 and the latter in 1968 after MLK was assassinated .
Chicago's riot was when King was killed, that's why I didn't list it. Otherwise, I would have listed DC, which had maybe the worst of all of the April 1968 riots, although Chicago and Baltimore were right there.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:52 PM

14 posts, read 56,021 times
The Hill had a long and rich history up until the '68 riots, white flight, and the building of the Civic Arena-which relocated many Blacks to Homewood and other points and created ghetto conditions there due to overcrowding. Since the 1980's when I as a teen, the Hill has gone steadily downhill. I come home to Pittsburgh several times per year and even in the upper hill (nicknamed Sugartop), it looks like a bomb exploded in many parts.

Despite several attempts to revitalize the Hill, the lack of political power among Blacks in city hall, and fragmented local community groups who can't get on the same page, not much is expected to change for the Hill. The best bet is gentrification, but that will take decades.

It is sad that similar economically challenged areas in Pittsburgh that are majority White like Spring Hill, Deutschtown, Mexican War Streets, find ways to reinvent themselves yet the Hill remains blighted.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,435 times
Default Great photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
I love The Hill, and I don't think it's nearly as dangerous as most people conceive it to be. Here's a few more pics of it
These are great photos. Could we use one in a Hill Consensus newsletter called View from the Hill? Contact [email]dm@sohoandcompany.com[/email] if interested.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:25 PM

89 posts, read 217,375 times
I took my students to see the Teenie Harris exhibit at the Carnegie today - the pictures were fantastic, but it's quite disheartening to see what has become of the Hill.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:48 PM

4,583 posts, read 4,258,432 times
Wow, blast from the past...I remember a few of those areas...thanks for sharing.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:27 PM

875 posts, read 1,482,925 times
After making the long uphill trek from Oakland to Herron Hill, I have to say that that area appears to have survived the best of the Hill. The view from the hilltop park of Herron Hill is gorgeous and a hidden gem that I'm not even sure most people within Pittsburgh know about.

I still think the redevelopment of the lower hill area coupled with a housing and office space crunch in Oakland will inevitably lead to a renaissance of the Hill. It take a few decades, but I think it's overdue for sure.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM

60 posts, read 104,159 times
I lived in the Lower Hill until I was 12 and we were forced to move for the redevelopment in the 50s. I wrote in some detail about some topics that came up in another thread a few months ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ittsburgh.html

I hope some of you look at that long thread. My posts are on pages 4 and 7, so I won't repeat here. Also, my posts were related to specific things from other posts. Some of you may want to take a look.

Thanks for those pictures that opened this thread. I wonder if any of you can find some pictures of the Lower Hill from the 40s, 50s - before we were displaced. I am filled with nostalgia for what was a very happy time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh