Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,167,256 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh's Hill District is composed of the neighborhoods: Crawford-Roberts, Middle Hill, Terrace Village, Bedford Dwellings and the Upper Hill. In the 30s through the 50s the Hill was a booming neighborhood nicknamed "The Crossroads of the World" and the last stop between New York and Chicago. In the 40s population density peaked with the neighborhoods Crawford-Roberts and the Middle Hill combining for an area nearly equivalent of Downtown Pittsburgh, yet having a population density of over 60,000 per square mile. Today, the Hill District is all but reduced to rubble, and is one of Pittsburgh's most dangerous neighborhoods.

A chunk of Bloomfield:

From University of Pittsburgh archive.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6743/homews8.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:24 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
Thanks for the pictures!

And you never know ... the Hill has a great location, and might make a comeback.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:22 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,431,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Today, the Hill District is all but reduced to rubble, and is one of Pittsburgh's most dangerous neighborhoods.

You might be safer in the Hill than the hallways of Woodland Hills High School.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:21 PM

9 posts, read 71,413 times
from those last aerial photos posted it makes me wonder what could have gone wrong in the neighborhood to cause such a decline? In terms of buildings that remain it seems that maybe 1/4 has been left standing. that is a big difference even if it was 60 years ago!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:29 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
It was not the best area in the late 60s, when I was at Pitt. So if it was "happening" in the 50s, it went downhill very fast.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:27 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,167,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmEyeA View Post
from those last aerial photos posted it makes me wonder what could have gone wrong in the neighborhood to cause such a decline? In terms of buildings that remain it seems that maybe 1/4 has been left standing. that is a big difference even if it was 60 years ago!
You may be right as there is only 1/4 of the population left. The Hill peaked at 48,000, now it only has 12,000. I would've loved to see that density back in the day.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmEyeA View Post
As I understand it, part of what contributed to the decline of the Hill District were some ill-conceived development projects in the late 1950s, including some public housing projects, and most notably the construction of the Civic Arena, which required leveling a large part of the District and essentially cut if off from Downtown.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM

173 posts, read 458,660 times
Talking nice photos

I love these photos, haven't been home to the burgh in twelve years it's nice to see the old neighborhood a little.

To me it's beautiful, I can see and envision that with a little (or a lot) of TLC, the hill could come alive and be a haven for families and small minority owned business as it once was.

I lived on the hill as a teenager in the mid eighties and I was once told that it took me an hour to walk four blocks, because at seven in the morning or slightly before I had to stop and talk to every person I saw, knock on every door and say hello to everyone.

I was walking from my home on Herron at Centre avenue to my grandma's at Wylie and Junilla. But that's just the way it was back in 1985, it felt like everyone was family. Yeah it was a little run down in spots, but the love and community were undeniable...

I miss those days back when a neighborhood was a neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:34 PM

173 posts, read 458,660 times
Does anyone have any photos of Wylie avenue, let's say circa 1983-1996

In the blocks between Herron and Chauncy?

Maybe of Flora's grill and grocery (as it was called when it opened) going up or opening day.

Or of the old drug store, where doc and his sister used to run it, right at the corner of Wylie and Junilla or of all the houses in that area before they were torn down, or of the lot on Humber way (runs behind and parallel to Wylie, between Junilla and Chauncy)

They used to have tent meetings in that lot.

I'm a nostalgia buff and I like things that are a little off the beaten path, so to speak.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM

148 posts, read 638,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As I understand it, part of what contributed to the decline of the Hill District were some ill-conceived development projects in the late 1950s, including some public housing projects, and most notably the construction of the Civic Arena, which required leveling a large part of the District and essentially cut if off from Downtown.
I can confirm that. Wrote a thesis on it, in fact. Pretty good summary too, so there's not much I can add without going into lots of unnecessary detail.

If you're interested in wonderful photos of the Hill District in its heyday, you can get this book, or check out the Carnegie Museum of Art's photo collections, here (http://www.cmoa.org/teenie/bio.shtm - broken link). They include a lot of Teenie Harris' images in addition to other Pgh collections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh