Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 03:11 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,974,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Well, this post is more reasonable - i think what sets off alarm bells for me is when you use the phrase "government control."

So,

1. Yea, I do not know anyone in the restaurant industry -- although I think you don't have to be intimately involved in the industry to have some understanding of how tough this situation is for them. Certainly, if I had my savings invested in a business that was under threat, I'd be doing anything I could to keep it going. Although in certain cases, you find some interesting statements from the restaurant owners; like the owner of the Tin Lizzy is quoted in the Trib as saying something like, "I don't know how the government can tell I guy he can't be in business." Well, this is sort of side-stepping the fact that the government has the authority to regulate and shut down the business for a variety of issues, and I still feel strongly that it must be inherent in the state's police powers to shut down a business for the public interest. Certainly you feel that the concerns over the current virus are overblown, but wouldn't you agree that there could be a virus with a higher death rate, such that even you might agree that a shut down is warranted, or perhaps a coronavirus that was decimating elementary schools like the current one is decimating nursing homes?

2. Gov. Wolf and Co. may be incorrect in their quarantine efforts, and they may be inconsistent, etc. etc., but I generally do not feel that the restrictions in PA are inconsistent with restrictions that were put in place in many other states and countries. To be clear, this isn't to say they were correct, it is simply to argue that they are a not unusual method of attempting to address the current pandemic. I also don't get the sense that they are part and parcel of some authoritarian power grab. Wolf may be misguided, but I don't perceive mal-intent.

It is more about government control than it is about controlling the virus. Most of the restrictions fly in the face of basic common sense. We are witnessing the biggest intrusion into the lives and freedom in history and the media misinformation instilled enough fear and panic to cause the people to accept this government control.

Your comments show you have very little understanding of the people who work in restaurants and bars. Try having most / all of your income taken away for nearly a year.

The restrictions in other states were other democrats and were forced on us by the fear and panic created by media misinformation with a political agenda.

We could have protected the nursing homes instead of wrecking the economy. Instead Wolf put infected into nursing homes. How many did that kill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I don’t doubt anything that Wolf would do again, and again, and again. He’s a clown.

If there’s money to be made, a chain will move in, but if nothing moves into where these small businesses were, so be it.... and the same people screaming to shut it down will be complaining that the storefronts are empty.

There is a false narrative being circulated by Wolf etc. that the cases have "flattened". That is obviously not true. I would expect another shut down is always a strong possibility.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Actually, the 'outdoor' dining is supposed to be exposed to the elements on two sides in order to be qualified as truly 'outdoor' dining.

That is not what restaurants are doing and Wolf and his minions are not harassing those businesses.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:24 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,033,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
That is not what restaurants are doing and Wolf and his minions are not harassing those businesses.
Bingo. What’s supposed to happen and what actually happens, are often totally different.

I read not too long ago that restaurants were going to set up igloo-type shelters for outdoor dining.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:33 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,033,081 times
I sure hope these businesses win.
https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...DG75LBLUZMKQA/

Old 01-01-2021, 06:45 AM

807 posts, read 612,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

No neighboring states of the Kingdom of Pennsylvania shut down all indoor dining over the holidays. Everywhere else had severe restrictions, but no total ban like we did. Even in New York state, the ban on indoor dining was limited to a few cities. It wasn't a statewide order like it was here.

They also handled the definition of 'essential' businesses in the spring very differently than elsewhere and were uniquely restrictive - ie prohibiting car sales, closing the liquor stores..

The 'State of Independence' has devolved into a state of tyranny.
Thanks! That is helpful context (and I appreciate that you have, at least, used the language of monarchical authoritarianism, as opposed to referencing those Germans who liked to dress up in the fancy outfits).

Old 01-01-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo. What’s supposed to happen and what actually happens, are often totally different.

I read not too long ago that restaurants were going to set up igloo-type shelters for outdoor dining.

The igloos exist which are fine since they are designed for one party. What Wolf and his goons are not enforcing is when they set up large heated greenhouse or tent structures to offer indoor dining. Meanwhile they harass businesses which are trying to stay afloat and allow their employees to make a living. Wolf is exercising power without any checks and balances.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:38 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,880,983 times
Quote:
Don't count on a romantic Valentine's dinner for two or a raucous Super Bowl party.

Despite lifting mitigation that shuttered indoor dining and bars for three weeks, Gov. Tom Wolf warned that the next two big events for restaurants and bars might see the same fate as Christmas dining.

"The virus is going to be what it is," Wolf said. "I think what happens on Feb. 7 depends on how fast the vaccine rolls out. What happens between now and Feb. 7 depends on what we do to make sure this virus does not overwhelm our healthcare system."

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/20...6E4JSbq1J_FJ40
The Fuhrer has lost his mind.
Making restrictions on restaurants during Valentines Day? Why?? Its not a day for group gatherings - its a day for couples. And those couples are going to see each other regardless of any governmental restrictions. They'll see each other in a restaurant, or they'll see each other elsewhere if the Fuhrer orders the restaurants to close. Restricting dining will do nothing to 'stop the spread' or to 'flatten the curve'. The only impacts such an order would have would be to further smother the restaurant industry, which has been unfairly maligned, and to further impoverish those who work in that industry. This is illogical and indefensible - its arbitrary and capricious.

The time is rapidly approaching for the Fuhrer to get the Mussolini treatment.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,880,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Wolf is exercising power without any checks and balances.
Because the Democrats in the General Assembly continue to carry water for the dictatorship. They are perfectly fine with ceding their rights and responsibilities as a separate and co-equal branch of government.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:21 AM

6,295 posts, read 11,011,614 times
The following article is related to the topic at hand.

https://www.pottsmerc.com/news/local...13c8ee24d.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh