Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 12:39 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,002,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is odd how people can gravitate to the left if you just look at how bad cities are doing under left leadership, or the state of CA that is a total mess. CA should be in amazing shape, but wow people are leaving in droves. The left run states are just too expensive to live in. Can't people see that? NY? CA? WOW, talk about taxation.
a fair argument about that would take a long time. NY State has beautiful, lovely roads. Doesn't NYC have a very good public school system (for achievement results) compared to the American urban public school average (well, thats not hard to beat). Also, I am assuming the state has been generous to NYC as that city transforms and improves its quality of life with subway upkeep/expansion, etc.

Buffalo finally got state money a few years back and has resurrected its waterfront, compared to what it was (dreary and little used).

maybe high taxes arent always a bad thing! depends on the results you get in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 12:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
a fair argument about that would take a long time. NY State has beautiful, lovely roads. Doesn't NYC have a very good public school system (for achievement results) compared to the American urban public school average (well, thats not hard to beat). Also, I am assuming the state has been generous to NYC as that city transforms and improves its quality of life with subway upkeep/expansion, etc.

Buffalo finally got state money a few years back and has resurrected its waterfront, compared to what it was (dreary and little used).

maybe high taxes arent always a bad thing! depends on the results you get in return.
Paying out $1,000 a month in property tax, which is pretty common in NY is nuts. Not to mention NY is a huge economy on its own with NYC. I think they get very little in return for their money, but that is normal with leftist ways. More taxation, lousy economies and very little improvement. No thanks.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:39 PM

755 posts, read 464,905 times
Not exactly. Property VALUES are higher in NYS, but the property tax rates are just about equivalent to PA. The state income tax is progressive, so if you earn more you pay a higher rate. In PA it is a flat income tax. The big difference for earners is that there is no local wage tax in NYS. Sales tax in NYS is 4% to the state plus whatever the county assesses.
It is usually between 3-4% resulting in a 7-8% rate depending on where you live. Moving to PA, I would say our tax burden is slightly lower since there is no sales tax on food and clothing.

There are a lot of "hidden" taxes in NYS like on utilities or the way they handle trade-ins on cars. In PA you pay sales tax on the difference between the trade-in value and the sales price of the new car. In NYS you pay sales tax on the entire value of the new vehicle.

I think overall, the public health and school systems perform better in NYS, but that's really anecdotal - my opinion only. The roads/infrastructure has really slipped in NYS in the past 10 years. The state highways used to be the pride of NY, but more recently I would put them just about on par with PA.

This all from a former upstater. The tax situation in NYC is entirely different. Someone living there would need to elaborate on that.

Old 11-03-2020, 02:11 PM

41,018 posts, read 17,985,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
that photo w. Giselle is like 100 years ago.

that is a weak attempt at creating a mythos. i thought you were smart when you started here - now you are promoting yourself another raving lunatic.
Bingo...and definitely more than promoting, lol.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:06 PM

882 posts, read 330,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo...and definitely more than promoting, lol.

Yeah, I guess it's past the statute of limitations on pedophile stuff so it's fine to sweep under the rug.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Yeah, I guess it's past the statute of limitations on pedophile stuff so it's fine to sweep under the rug.
Lol. Keep on keeping on the because Trump train. Sounds like you’re obsessed with him.

I’m looking forward to hearing the names that visited Epstein Island. I’ll wager “because Trump” isn’t on the list, but I do look forward to the defending of those who are.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. Keep on keeping on the because Trump train. Sounds like you’re obsessed with him.

I’m looking forward to hearing the names that visited Epstein Island. I’ll wager “because Trump” isn’t on the list, but I do look forward to the defending of those who are.

I've always said let's see the list.

You may want to lay low with all the wagering offers....you don't have a good track record, and I'd hate to see you lose your nest egg.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times
Well since Biden is the winner, I suspect nothing big will happen after the election. Sure the left run media machine will find some story out in Nebraska or some crap and show it over and over again to pretend the right acts like the left, but I for one will never forget or forgive the left for being such horrible losers. 3 1/2+ years of going nuts and destroying our country and values! Sure are evil, but evil does indeed win sometimes. Hope the republicans can come up with an intelligent younger person to run next time that is a moderate and fiscally responsible candidate.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Hope the republicans can come up with an intelligent younger person to run next time that is a moderate and fiscally responsible candidate.

Keep wishin....the republican party sold their soul to the devil already, and the days of a moderate like Kasich being nominated are long gone.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
I've always said let's see the list.

You may want to lay low with all the wagering offers....you don't have a good track record, and I'd hate to see you lose your nest egg.
Lol. What wagering offers did I make? No worries, there’s no chance of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh