Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 07:40 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,005,953 times

Advertisements

i'm glad others feel that way about the USS Tower.

It is strong, powerful, grand, and a handsome building. I was always hoping that in like other big, bustling cities where their corporate skyscrapers are almost miniature cities, something like that would happen in the USX and at Oxford Centre....but for the life of me i do not understand how there is no restaurant at the top of the USX - Top of the Triangle was...awesome.

i dont remember the food as much as the whole experience/views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 10:03 PM

139 posts, read 75,511 times
The science center looks pretty dated at this point.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:40 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
If I had to choose my least favorite building in Pgh, the Sheraton at Station Square comes to mind.
Ew. That's another hemorrhoid.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:53 AM

1,170 posts, read 523,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Worked in USX for a few years and just being in there makes me nervous. The big long escalator from ground level to the upper lobby elevators. The security army you have to get through to visit an office. Not sure if the day care is still in the basement but I always felt sad for those little tikes, spending all day in a windowless day care. Then the Top of the Triangle Restaurant up 65+ floors?? The eerie parking garage world underneath. The building just raises my blood pressure.
i wonder how many people are working in USX now compared to february - and what sort of elevator passenger restrictions they've implemented

Old 10-20-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Top of the Triangle was...awesome.
agreed - that was pittsburgh's golden era in my 50+ year lifetime, and the allegheny club at three rivers

Old 10-20-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
agreed - that was pittsburgh's golden era in my 50+ year lifetime, and the allegheny club at three rivers

oh, apologies - for various reasons and from context, i really thought you were a kid, and asked you in another thread.

("kid" = 20s)

Old 10-20-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
oh, apologies - for various reasons and from context, i really thought you were a kid, and asked you in another thread.("kid" = 20s)
no worries - glad i'm not a kid because i got to enjoy life before "social distancing" and masks, and got to enjoy the civic arena, pitt stadium, the syria mosque, the stanley and three rivers stadium when pittsburgh was really cool - even got to see the CLASH and SANTANA play (on separate occasions) in the gymnasium at CMU back when tech fair was in the parking lot where the parking garage is now

Old 10-20-2020, 10:19 AM

755 posts, read 465,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Ew. That's another hemorrhoid.
Agreed. I like the USX/UPMC tower up close and inside (the lobby, for example), but from a distance, in relation to the other buildings in the skyline, it looks like something dark and foreboding that the Galactic Empire commissioned.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
no worries - glad i'm not a kid because i got to enjoy life before "social distancing" and masks, and got to enjoy the civic arena, pitt stadium, the syria mosque, the stanley and three rivers stadium when pittsburgh was really cool - even got to see the CLASH and SANTANA play (on separate occasions) in the gymnasium at CMU back when tech fair was in the parking lot where the parking garage is now
a cousin had a wedding reception in the lower (lowest?) floor of the Mosque like 30 years ago. It was a finished space, of course, and very nice. I remember a sliding glass door on the side OPPOSITE Bigelow Boulevard that led to a quiet, airy space for a minute or two away from the fracas. The Mosque was a beatiful space, in a beautiful building.

I'd say Pittsburgh was cool from 2010 to about 2015 - there was a lot of local band activity, with several actually putting out very good stuff. The Deutschtown Music Festival was (and will be again) just a great event. We had some national events of notoriety. The Penguins would draw so many visitors from out of town. I lived in the Hill, then Downtown - and Downtown was often VERY BUSY like I never had seen it in my youth.

what is/was "Tech Fair" at CMU?

Is Pittsburgh "cool" now (pandemic notwithstanding?) Hmmm....i am a decade older, and so less interested in club performances. forget metal - i am scared of getting hurt

the arts don't hadn't been as vibrant, and visible, but again, it could be because i dont seek it out/exposed to it.

the downtown crowds from all places across North American, like they were some time ago, though? gone.

edit: bike accessibility? very cool, and appreciated. if only some of the jagoffs would learn to behave and not zip by pedestrians and scare the hell out of them.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
what is/was "Tech Fair" at CMU?
they call it CARNIVAL now - it's "three days of amusement park rides, adventures in booths, unhealthy snacks, and buggy races"

https://www.springcarnival.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh