Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 11:48 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,305,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I think the whole "Kentucky in-between Philly and Pittsburgh" mantra needs to be put the rest. The combined population centers in south central PA (Harrisburg/York/Lancaster) are significant in their own right and wouldn't be surprised if that area surpasses greater Pittsburgh in population in the coming decades.
Many don’t leave the city, and have never even been to those areas. They simply parrot the Kentucky mantra because suburban/rural folk. They also can’t understand why folks don’t want to move/live in the city/area, even with obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 01:05 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,065,503 times
Quote:
I think the whole "Kentucky in-between Philly and Pittsburgh" mantra needs to be put the rest. The combined population centers in south central PA (Harrisburg/York/Lancaster) are significant in their own right and wouldn't be surprised if that area surpasses greater Pittsburgh in population in the coming decades.
The people that call the middle of the state "Alabama", "Pensyltucky" or whatever are the leftists in our city. They are the same ones that have "all are welcome" signs in their yards. You know the people that say the love diversity, but would attack anyone that doesn't think like them with violent protests. Sure are the ugliest of us all. Wow!

Old 11-26-2020, 05:38 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,910,566 times
Quote:
Yup. I grew up in Lancaster County. There is consistent growth every time I go home. The area is also just so solidly middle-class.. there are no massively economically depressed areas like there are here in Allegheny County, and there are also no mega-wealthy areas like Sewickley or Fox Chapel or Squirrel Hill. Its just... so balanced. The Mennonite influence is also very strong in the culture even to this day - its very Swiss/German. People keep to themselves and don't want the government breathing down their neck - its very much a 'Protestant work ethic' type of place..

The longer that I'm here, and the more I see the hypocrisy of the East End ruling class, the more that I miss where I grew up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Many don’t leave the city, and have never even been to those areas. They simply parrot the Kentucky mantra because suburban/rural folk. They also can’t understand why folks don’t want to move/live in the city/area, even with obvious reasons.
They also thumb their noses at us and insult as for being racists. Even without knowing our history. Ie - Thaddeus Stevens and the Christiana Riot. Meanwhile they decry 'systemic racism' in Pittsburgh, while being blindly oblivious to the fact that the Democratic Party has had a monopoly grip on power here for 90 years - so can't blame people like me for the racial disparities here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The people that call the middle of the state "Alabama", "Pensyltucky" or whatever are the leftists in our city. They are the same ones that have "all are welcome" signs in their yards. You know the people that say the love diversity, but would attack anyone that doesn't think like them with violent protests. Sure are the ugliest of us all. Wow!
You're so spot on. Virtue signaling hypocrites.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:23 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,723,906 times
A lot of this discussion is focused on migration from the city to the suburbs or to areas on the fringe of Allegheny County. You need to look a the entire region. Westmoreland county hit its peak population in the 1980 census. The current population is 88.5% of that. Armstrong County hit its peak in in 1940, and is currently 79% of that. Fayette County hit its peak in 1940, and is currently 64% of that peak. Beaver County hit its peak in 1970, and is currently 78% of that peak. Allegheny County hit its peak population in 1960 and is currently 75% of that peak. Washington County hit its peak in 1960, and is currently 95% of its peak population. Butler County is the only county in the MSA that is currently at its peak population, and has grown 9% since 2000.

And just to throw in a few other counties in the area, Lawrence County hit its peak in 1960 and is currently at 76% of its peak. Indiana County's peak was 1980, and its current population is 91% of that peak. Somerset hit its peak in 1940, and its current population is 86% of that peak.

One demographic study projects that the Pgh MSA will lose 44,093 people between 2010 and 2030, or 1.87% of the population of the MSA. See Situation & Outlook Report -- Pittsburgh, PA MSA

The bottom line seems to be that Allegheny County is losing slightly more population than the neighboring counties except for Fayette County, which is in free fall. Butler County is the only county in Western PA showing any population growth. Washington is maintaining its population due to the business at Southpointe and population gains in the northern part of the county.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:25 PM

499 posts, read 195,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I just wanted some local insight. Each year for the past decade, the City of Pittsburgh and the entire Pittsburgh Metro area have been loosing population.

Definitely not a positive trend. I know most economic growth has been in White Collar jobs, which is a net for the region, while the blue collar jobs and those who worked in them move away.

The city and metro as a whole (which is most shocking) can only sustain itself for so long with a population lost. Most legacy metros are loosing city population but gaining metro population, but Pittsburgh is shrinking with both.

So what are the trends and ideas on this topic?
“Losing,” not “loosing.” Sorry, one of my pet peeves.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:53 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Yawn.
The answer from someone that knows I am correct and has no response because what could you say? I would be embarrassed as well if I was so filled with hate and bigotry towards the hard working people that farm and provide energy. Sure are a very unwelcoming bunch. Never really saw how bad things can get in and around cities with such hatred. Guess as churches lose people and people just get more and more self centered people become that way.

Hate is hate. Just accept it as you are part of it. Own it.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:59 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Yup. I grew up in Lancaster County. There is consistent growth every time I go home. The area is also just so solidly middle-class.. there are no massively economically depressed areas like there are here in Allegheny County, and there are also no mega-wealthy areas like Sewickley or Fox Chapel or Squirrel Hill. Its just... so balanced. The Mennonite influence is also very strong in the culture even to this day - its very Swiss/German. People keep to themselves and don't want the government breathing down their neck - its very much a 'Protestant work ethic' type of place..

The longer that I'm here, and the more I see the hypocrisy of the East End ruling class, the more that I miss where I grew up.

They also thumb their noses at us and insult as for being racists. Even without knowing our history. Ie - Thaddeus Stevens and the Christiana Riot. Meanwhile they decry 'systemic racism' in Pittsburgh, while being blindly oblivious to the fact that the Democratic Party has had a monopoly grip on power here for 90 years - so can't blame people like me for the racial disparities here.

You're so spot on. Virtue signaling hypocrites.
Consider yourself very lucky to have lived in such a place to give you perspective. I honestly never encountered such hate until recent years in Pittsburgh. Trump being a president was sure an educational experience. I could care less who the president is. I won't forget the horrible leftists ways ever. That is in them. No thanks to being around them as friends. Nope.

I think what encapsulates the left in our region for me is when Trump came to the Tree of Life to honor those that died and to pay respects. The rabbi wanted him to be there, yet the leftists were in force to protest in the MIDDLE OF A MEMORIAL SERVICE!!!!!! Overriding what the rabbi that lost many in his congregation wanted!!!!!!! They are the biggest bullies and just the most horrible people I have ever encountered. How about listening to the rabbi for goodness sake! The man just lost so much! Sick! Oh and on top of all that, the rabbi got death threats for wanting Trump to be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DEATH THREATS! ALL ARE WELCOME!!! Sure.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:14 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,819,944 times
Taxes and constant grey overcast chased me out of Pittsburgh. I was paying close to 7,000 in property taxes on a modest house. Now, I only pay $2,000 a year here in the Southwest. Gas is also very expensive in Pennsylvania and you have a state income and local municipality income tax. For all that money, you have crumbling roads and lousy infrastructure.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:40 PM

994 posts, read 505,283 times
Quote:
Hate is hate
LOL.

Stop hating.

It's healthier.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:52 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,697,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
A lot of this discussion is focused on migration from the city to the suburbs or to areas on the fringe of Allegheny County. You need to look a the entire region. Westmoreland county hit its peak population in the 1980 census. The current population is 88.5% of that. Armstrong County hit its peak in in 1940, and is currently 79% of that. Fayette County hit its peak in 1940, and is currently 64% of that peak. Beaver County hit its peak in 1970, and is currently 78% of that peak. Allegheny County hit its peak population in 1960 and is currently 75% of that peak. Washington County hit its peak in 1960, and is currently 95% of its peak population. Butler County is the only county in the MSA that is currently at its peak population, and has grown 9% since 2000.

And just to throw in a few other counties in the area, Lawrence County hit its peak in 1960 and is currently at 76% of its peak. Indiana County's peak was 1980, and its current population is 91% of that peak. Somerset hit its peak in 1940, and its current population is 86% of that peak.

One demographic study projects that the Pgh MSA will lose 44,093 people between 2010 and 2030, or 1.87% of the population of the MSA. See Situation & Outlook Report -- Pittsburgh, PA MSA

The bottom line seems to be that Allegheny County is losing slightly more population than the neighboring counties except for Fayette County, which is in free fall. Butler County is the only county in Western PA showing any population growth. Washington is maintaining its population due to the business at Southpointe and population gains in the northern part of the county.
Yep. It’s nothing new. The economic situation hurts Pittsburgh. It is a remote city in a no mans land. It’s too far west to be connected to Philly and the east coast. By the same token it is too Far East to be considered truly midwest. Ohio, Indiana and Michigan still have manufacturing. Most manufacturing has left western pa. There are more tech and logistics jobs in Columbus than Pittsburgh.

You have to drive at least two hours to get to another city over 100K in population being Erie and Cleveland. Aside from that it is a 3-5 hour drive to more civilization other than Cleveland and Erie.

I hate to say it but western pa is pretty much lumped in with West Virginia for those geographical reasons I mentioned. Two places stuck between two regions that aren’t really connected to either. Plus there is an over abundance of college grads here with limited opportunities. In the Midwest or east coast there is more competition due to larger cities within a reasonable and easy drive distance for talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh