Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 04:30 PM

314 posts, read 849,017 times

Advertisements

I read before that there is a fine arts high school that is free to qualifying city residents. Can one of you tell me the name of it? Googling "fine arts high school Pittsburgh" hasn't found it for me. Thanx in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 04:51 PM

119 posts, read 460,093 times
CAPA...Pittsburgh School for the Creative and Performing Arts. Right downtown on 9th Street next to the Convention Center.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanx!! That is it!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:24 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,067,760 times
They have a beautiful school, jinxd.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 AM

It looks really amazing but I think I missed the deadline to get my son enrolled for the 9th grade and they really want it to be teh full 4 yr experience so they frown on entering them in 10th grade. This si very depressing as I think that being in a school like this would do wonders for my chaotic creative 14 yr old

Old 05-10-2008, 10:41 AM

I would definitely contact them and beg entry if you missed the deadlines. I'm sure they could pull some strings. LOL. Their musicals every year are phenomenal.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 AM

I am going to go by the school with my son when we get there and just let them meet him and see the potential he has. It's all I can do. He is an amazingly intelligent child but, like alot of creative individuals, I think he may be bipolar. So, he needs alot of direction. He was also born with a cleft lip/palette and, although he surgeries were amazing and he is gorgeous, he has self-esteem issues. As a result, he has fallen into hanging with the "wrong" crowd. I think that being surounded by like-minded kids and getting praise for his abilities might be just what he needs to help him reach his full potential. So, I will give it my best! I think I wiil also try to get him into some program, like karate, that involves alot of self-discipline. You guys have any ideas?

Old 05-10-2008, 03:06 PM

I think karate sounds like a very good thing! I will think on this more, too. If you truly think he could be bipolar, you should either get it diagnosed or ruled out because it can QUICKLY spiral out of control and then it's even that much harder to get a handle on it.

Do you think you guys could take yoga classes together? That may be a good option, too. It's very popular amongst college kids, both guys and gals alike.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:51 PM

He is in the process of being diagnosed right now. The psychiatrist seems to think he prolly is, now he just has to work out the best course of action. I hate to overmedicate (I just did a paper on the ludicrous amount of anti-psychotics some kids are on) so I will have a heavy hand in what he takes but I know that, in the case of manic depresion, meds can make a very positive influence on his life if given properly( and taken so.
Yoga is a fantastic idea. It would also give me an excuse to take it, which would rock. He is very into Eastern spirtuality ( I just bought him a book called Zen Guitar) and I think he needs that calming balance considering his music of choice is Scandanavian Death Metal.LOL. You are full of great ideas, as usual, sucks your leaving just as we get there ~pouts~

Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 PM

Oh you are such a good mom! You are awesome for realizing that medicine can be crucial but not to just accept it whilly nilly. You're right, anti-psychotics are over-prescribed. Just stay educated and question EVERYthing. Talk to your pharmacist, too. We rock.

Well when you get here, you can give me a proper send off with some Primanti's! I'll be back all the time and I'll be lurking on here as usual. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh