Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 06:46 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
Get rid of Peduto and elect Tony Moreno, Real Steel Mayor.
Gasp. A former police officer? Many want police officers defunded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 07:50 PM

432 posts, read 359,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
A new year is ahead of us. Most likely this pandemic will behind us as well through mid year in 2021....
I would like to observe that the OP put out the question and let folks post without responding or arguing (for at least several hours!), just listening. Classy, and constructive behavior on this thread.

To respond, I think that other posters are correct that there will be budget holes at every level. I would like to see the BRT through Oakland continued (even if funding requires modifying the schedule or completing the project in stages.) I agree with zalewskimm that keeping things cleaner is in order, though I despair of the streets. Pittsburgh is the holeyest damn place I've ever lived.

I would particularly like to see the trend towards outdoor and patio dining encouraged by modifying regulations where appropriate.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
A new year is ahead of us. Most likely this pandemic will behind us as well through mid year in 2021.
Are we really made to believe this will be behind us mid year? After all, many decades later we have a flu vaccine that’s only 40-60% effective, but in around 9 months the virus vaccine is 95% effective and going to cure us in 6 months time?

Old 12-03-2020, 08:29 PM

432 posts, read 359,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Are we really made to believe this will be behind us mid year? After all, many decades later we have a flu vaccine that’s only 40-60% effective, but in around 9 months the virus vaccine is 95% effective and going to cure us in 6 months time?

The influenza viruses have a way of shuffling their genes while replicating which is unusual, and not common to corona viruses. I can't speak to the current virus efforts, but I know that the annual flu is a particularly moving target for vaccines to hit.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
The influenza viruses have a way of shuffling their genes while replicating which is unusual, and not common to corona viruses. I can't speak to the current virus efforts, but I know that the annual flu is a particularly moving target for vaccines to hit.
Do you believe the vaccine is 95% effective and going to be behind us in 6 months?

Old 12-03-2020, 10:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
I would like to observe that the OP put out the question and let folks post without responding or arguing (for at least several hours!), just listening. Classy, and constructive behavior on this thread.

To respond, I think that other posters are correct that there will be budget holes at every level. I would like to see the BRT through Oakland continued (even if funding requires modifying the schedule or completing the project in stages.) I agree with zalewskimm that keeping things cleaner is in order, though I despair of the streets. Pittsburgh is the holeyest damn place I've ever lived.

I would particularly like to see the trend towards outdoor and patio dining encouraged by modifying regulations where appropriate.

Thank you.

I am genuinely interested in Pittsburgh and its well being. It is a fantastic city, with so much potential, and I enjoy hearing insight from locals on this forum.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:21 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
I think one cool thing to note in Pittsburgh for 2021 is the new FNB corp tower will begin construction in a couple months finally.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:09 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
East Liberty is still in full swing. I was there yesterday and noticed how the new Wholefoods / Office project is rising on the East Liberty skyline. I did not realize how much of an impact this would have not to mention the Bakery Square project. You can see the newness peaking from Homewood and Larimer. It is impressive.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:30 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,682,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty01 View Post
Nice topic and questions. I'll give it a shot. For clarity, I'm using Pittsburgh to mean Pittsburgh metro unless otherwise stated.

1) Transportation/Transit Investments
Pittsburgh is slated to begin work on the BRT project in 2021 (using mostly federal funding) which will be a nice investment to connect downtown and Oakland in a more efficient way. Otherwise, I believe we should expand our light-rail system. An expansion to the airport would specifically bring high economic impact to the metro. The up-front cost would be high (likely ~ $1B), but in the long run would be worth it. If we can find funding for the $7B Southern Beltway project, I just can't imagine rail expansion not getting a green light. I would actually love to see the long-term economic benefit of expanding the T system with $7B vice the economic benefits the Southern Beltway is anticipated to produce for the region.
2) Economic Investments
Pittsburgh should further invest in light-manufacturing in the region. The ratio is low compared to the amount of tech jobs that are already here. Manufacturing typically pays a good, living wage and doesn't require a four year degree on average. That will allow people other than IT professionals to thrive in our market. Additionally, I firmly believe that Pittsburgh should provide investments, incentives, and or tax credits for television/film production. PA already offers a state tax credit that is utilized heavily and frankly should be extended as demand from the film industry to film specifically in Pittsburgh is (surprisingly) very high. I think Pittsburgh could further build out the Hazelwood Green site for a more permanent film studio industry.
3) Higher Education Opportunities
Pittsburgh already offers a wide range of education opportunities. Duquesne, Pitt, and CMU are all currently expanding and Point Park just finished a project downtown. Otherwise, the Biden admin. is expected to increase visas again which obviously the universities will benefit greatly from.
4) Marketing/Tourism Opportunities
Pittsburgh should continue to build riverfront trails and bike lanes. I know some people don't like the bike lanes but they are a big hit with tourists. Additional riverfront water attractions and recreational businesses should be invested in and advertised as well. In addition, Pittsburgh should continue to market its cultural amenities (compared to cost) along with its postcard-quality skyline.
5) Business Development
The city, specifically, is too stringent in its zoning and regulatory process for new development. If the city would loosen up business real estate development a bit I believe that Pittsburgh metro would benefit from additional jobs (construction) and would also help to keep residential prices from increasing as one of Pittsburgh's advantages right now is a relatively low cost of living. Also, see #1 above. Light-rail lines are proven to be economic booms along them over approximately a two decade period after completion of the line. (I expect a similar but not as fully robust development chain subsequent to BRT completion as well).
6) International and Domestic Connectivity
I think that you mean air / flight connectivity here so that's how I'll answer. Pittsburgh International is slated to begin construction in 2021 for (practically) a brand new airport top to bottom. It should be more efficient (i.e. lower cost) than the current airport which in turn should increase flight options. Also, see #1 for light-rail service to the airport. Fun fact, but Pittsburgh International actually tried to pay for the light-rail line to be expanded as the data was so proven that it would increase daily flights substantially long-term. The federal government denied that plan though. Lastly, increase jobs and population and of course air travel will expand (but this is self-evident already).
7) Pennsylvania Statewide Initiatives that can benefit the region
As much as people (including me) complain about the PA Turnpike pricing, a large portion of the revenue actually goes to Port Authority. Our metro directly benefits from Port Authority whether you personally ride/use it or not. Due to an ongoing lawsuit the Turnpike Commission has not made payments to Port Authority which will eventually cripple our public transit service unless the situation can be rectified. Lastly, PA has an archaic system of micro-governments through the townships and boroughs. It has to be one of the most inefficient systems of government in the entire world considering the amount of mayors, police departments, school administrators, fire departments, inspectors, tax collectors, etc. (you all get it). The state needs to convert to a more efficient, at minimum, county system of governance.

That's my take. I hope people like it. (vote for me to become King of Pittsburgh if you do :-) HAHA)

I really think #2 and #5 go hand in hand and the other stuff you mention would start to take care of itself if those were taken care of.

The entire metro keeps missing the boat. Being the most educated city means very little if opportunities are not there for people to make a living. Absolutely the area needs to invest in light manufacturing as well as logistics and energy production. Right now this is not a city that works for all. It’s only a niche city and cannot survive just employing tech workers and medical professionals. I’m all for clean air and water, but the region needs the jobs as well and fracking can be a good thing if done in a responsible manner. There has to be give and take so everybody can meet in the middle.

Everything else you mention is needed, but those things won’t ever be what they could or should until this region can learn to walk and chew gum at the same time when it comes to the economy. All ideas and economic sectors need to be embraced not just those that know computers and high tech only.

Pittsburgh needs opportunities for all locals and potential out of Towners or immigrate that don’t see Pittsburgh as the land of opportunity.

Cities that grow and have become economic powers work for everyone. They may not carry the title most educated. Anybody and everybody can find gainful employment there. And that is what really matters.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:07 PM

755 posts, read 471,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I really think #2 and #5 go hand in hand and the other stuff you mention would start to take care of itself if those were taken care of.

The entire metro keeps missing the boat. Being the most educated city means very little if opportunities are not there for people to make a living. Absolutely the area needs to invest in light manufacturing as well as logistics and energy production. Right now this is not a city that works for all. It’s only a niche city and cannot survive just employing tech workers and medical professionals. I’m all for clean air and water, but the region needs the jobs as well and fracking can be a good thing if done in a responsible manner. There has to be give and take so everybody can meet in the middle.

Everything else you mention is needed, but those things won’t ever be what they could or should until this region can learn to walk and chew gum at the same time when it comes to the economy. All ideas and economic sectors need to be embraced not just those that know computers and high tech only.

Pittsburgh needs opportunities for all locals and potential out of Towners or immigrate that don’t see Pittsburgh as the land of opportunity.

Cities that grow and have become economic powers work for everyone. They may not carry the title most educated. Anybody and everybody can find gainful employment there. And that is what really matters.
Right on. The city and Allegheny Co., to some extent, moving in one direction on development and the rest of the metro moving in another, by and large, just keeps everyone in a stall. I wish the mayor could find his way to being a leader for the region and start "seeing" the folks outside his city, finding the common ground between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh