Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 PM

23 posts, read 52,968 times

Advertisements

What are a few of the good hospitals in the area? Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,032,863 times
Well, what type of specialty are you looking for? That will make a difference.

There are two MAIN healthcare systems in Pittsburgh, both are highly recommended. There is West Penn Allegheny Health System and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Both make it in Pittsburgh because they have sort of learned to specialize and play on their own strengths, although UPMC is far more aggressive in terms of assimilating and expanding.

I imagine UPMC would be the most common recommendation and is easily one of the most prominent and respected healthcare systems in the entire country.

Few independents remain in Pittsburgh, I can think of only two at the top of my head, St. Clair Hospital and Jefferson Regional (also having good reputations).

Pittsburgh does not lack good healthcare options, that's for sure.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:38 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,431,923 times
Only go to St. Clair if you have a deathwish.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM

125 posts, read 397,218 times
Haha... yeah my grandfather has been in and out of the hospital a lot lately and St. Clair was apparently horrible the last time he was there.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,032,863 times
Really? I always heard good things about St. Clair, lol. Although I have never personally been there.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:19 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Everyone has bad experiences with hospitals. It's because they're sick. It's not a pleasant experience from the get-go. JMO

Old 05-05-2008, 09:36 PM

125 posts, read 397,218 times
Quote:
Everyone has bad experiences with hospitals. It's because they're sick. It's not a pleasant experience from the get-go. JMO
True, but some are better than others. My dad had a heart transplant last year and was in and out of different hospitals a lot. He was sick but he was still able to differentiate between a good hospital and a bad one.
And in my grandfather's case, he went to St. Clair and was completely dissatisfied and then went to one on the North Side (don't know the name) and that one was better. He was sick in both places, but had a more pleasant experience with one rather than the other.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 PM

522 posts, read 1,788,302 times
I personally have always liked Mercy Hospital. Of course, the most I've needed done was blood drawn and X-rays taken. Mercy has a top-notch burn center and well-respected heart center. Having said that, changes abound since they were purchased by UPMC.

UPMC is fairly well-respected but I can't say I like their business practices. Why is our local, non-profit, university-based teaching hospital constantly veritcally and horizontally expanding? Why do they own PCP offices, hospitals, imaging centers, and an entire insurance plan (including Medicare and Medicaid HMOs) ? All tax-payer funded. And at last check they had some 10s of millions of dollars "in reserve". Non-profit organization? I don't think so.

Allegheny General Hospital (and it's affiliates West Penn, Forbes Regional, and Suburban General) are also generally well respected for Cardiology, Oncology, trauma, and general surgery. I would also recommend their neurology department to anyone.

The smaller, local hospitals: St. Clair, Jefferson Regional, Ohio Valley General, etc. are not full-service hospitals and, IMHO, are good for aches and pains- maybe a knee replacement or arthroscopy. St. Clair is supposed to have a pretty good plastic surgery center, for what it is worth.

My money is on AGH. Mercy still gets a vote too as it doesn't seem to have changed a ton since making the switch to UPMC...yet.

Cap

Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles1821 View Post
True, but some are better than others. My dad had a heart transplant last year and was in and out of different hospitals a lot. He was sick but he was still able to differentiate between a good hospital and a bad one.
And in my grandfather's case, he went to St. Clair and was completely dissatisfied and then went to one on the North Side (don't know the name) and that one was better. He was sick in both places, but had a more pleasant experience with one rather than the other.
I hear what you're saying, and I have my favorites as well. Not in Pittsburgh though, b/c I don't know anything about them any more. I hope your grandfather is doing well.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 AM

299 posts, read 1,004,926 times
My grandmother spent a fair amount of time in Mercy a couple years ago for a massive brain hemorrhage. From what I researched on the condition and based on the kind and size of hemorrhage she had, she shouldn't have made it. Now she has recovered far beyond our expectations and is living in an assisted living facility. If she had gone to another hospital for care or for therapy, I don't know that she would be doing as well as she is. I was VERY happy with Mercy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh