Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 11:05 PM

807 posts, read 617,512 times

Advertisements

Like many towns in beaver county, it’s been slowly dying for 30+ years since the collapse of the steel industry. Beaver down the road, which is the county seat, has kept a more even keel throughout the last several decades. I grew up 10 miles north in another dying mill town, but I don’t know that we ever had much reason to drive down to beaver falls, other than football and basketball games. Geneva college is also located there. And if you travel across the bridge at the far end of town, you’re actually in new Brighton, which has held up a little better than beaver falls. Also of note, beaver falls was the setting of 80s sitcom, Mr Belvedere. How did a west coast attorney and pistachio farmer end up driving through bf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 07:58 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
It was dark and rainy today but Beaver Falls seemed to have a lot of charm--more than many small towns. I know its lost 50% of its population between 1960 and today ( 16,000 + to 8000 and its economic future can't be bright but it has so many nice old buildings -many abandoned.

Any opinions on this place?
Beaver Borough, (not beaver falls) which is the county seat may be the nicest small business district in the Pittsburgh metro that is not in Allegheny county. Note this is different the beaver falls. Housing is very nice and the beaver area school district is excellent.

Beaver falls has a nice business district but I would not want to live there. The school district is not the greatest in beaver falls either. Geneva College keeps beaver falls going. New Brighton ( just down the road) would be a better option than beaver falls. New Brighton has a small business district.

I’m looking at moving to Erie pa or possibly beaver borough. I am being selective on my choice. I have money to afford these places but don’t want to overpay for old outdated garbage, which is a lot of housing in the beaver valley area.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:09 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,526,493 times
How did a west coast attorney and pistachio farmer end up driving through bf?[/quote]

I love old cities in the "Rust Belt" the South and West just can't compare architecturally. Ive sold most of the interest in pistachios but put a clause in the deed that me -my heirs - can always go there and pick some nuts. My brother-in-law became the foreman. I only practice law in Texas but have a Tree Farm - a Coastal Redwoods project not for harvest - in Washington.

Property taxes are high in PA -OH - and the East Coast.

Beaver Falls seemed especially attractive but Ill see it again before I return.

While many towns are made up of old wooden nothing special houses- BF seems to have a large share of nice ones-but I saw less than 10% of it.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:37 AM

Thanks, sorry to be "nebby" -- but your little biographical snippet was too interesting to leave un-inquired about. There used to be a poster here that grew up in Beaver Falls, but I have not seem him/her post recently. Certainly with all of these small towns, you'll probably find some fabulous, unique housing buried in among the more hum-drum. Among other things, up until 10 years ago, there was a pretty amazing, classic movie house in downtown BF:

Granada Theatre in Beaver Falls, PA - Cinema Treasures.

Everyone goes on and on about these donuts too: https://www.orams.com/

Old 12-26-2020, 01:48 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
I poured some concrete in beaver falls around 10 years ago. There were ladies of the night propositioning my guys. Any time i have run into that it has been a high drug or crime area like mckeesport or homewood. I don't know what the current state of beaver falls is but i was not impressed.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:19 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Thanks, sorry to be "nebby" -- but your little biographical snippet was too interesting to leave un-inquired about. There used to be a poster here that grew up in Beaver Falls, but I have not seem him/her post recently. Certainly with all of these small towns, you'll probably find some fabulous, unique housing buried in among the more hum-drum. Among other things, up until 10 years ago, there was a pretty amazing, classic movie house in downtown BF:

Granada Theatre in Beaver Falls, PA - Cinema Treasures.

Everyone goes on and on about these donuts too: https://www.orams.com/
That regular poster was Katarina Witt, and she grew up in the nearby borough of Patterson Heights. She now lives near Boulder, CO. I haven't seen her around lately either and have been worried about her.

In regards to Beaver Falls I have been there before and have never felt "unsafe". Then again I live in a rough neighborhood and don't feel unsafe either because the problem people generally only interact with and target one another---not innocent bystanders minding their own business.

Beaver Falls has that gritty blue-collar "dying mill town vibe" unlike nearby Beaver, which feels more Mayberry-like. I have been meaning to take another trip up there soon for some Oram's Donuts!

Old 12-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I poured some concrete in beaver falls around 10 years ago. There were ladies of the night propositioning my guys. Any time i have run into that it has been a high drug or crime area like mckeesport or homewood. I don't know what the current state of beaver falls is but i was not impressed.
Maybe that was before this crack down?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tim...emplate=ampart

Old 12-26-2020, 09:00 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That regular poster was Katarina Witt, and she grew up in the nearby borough of Patterson Heights. She now lives near Boulder, CO. I haven't seen her around lately either and have been worried about her.

In regards to Beaver Falls I have been there before and have never felt "unsafe". Then again I live in a rough neighborhood and don't feel unsafe either because the problem people generally only interact with and target one another---not innocent bystanders minding their own business.

Beaver Falls has that gritty blue-collar "dying mill town vibe" unlike nearby Beaver, which feels more Mayberry-like. I have been meaning to take another trip up there soon for some Oram's Donuts!
What neighborhoods in Beaver Falls were you in?

Old 12-26-2020, 01:49 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
I am bullish on beaver county. OP also make sure you check out New Brighton and Ambridge

Old 12-26-2020, 01:58 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I am bullish on beaver county. OP also make sure you check out New Brighton and Ambridge
Why should anyone check out NB and Ambridge to live? Other than some neat businesses, they’re quite dumpy places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh