Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 09:27 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i agree, but for different reasons. i am a pauper at heart, leftover from my younger days when i paid my way and barely made it. so, i love Dollar Tree. ANYTHING you buy at Target, you can get cheaper there, or from Amazon. for clothes - to stock up on casual things (white socks, etc.) - cheaper elsewhere, and decent quality. for nicer duds for work, church, visiting family, i will pay a little more and get, well, nicer looking clothes elsewhere.

I just don't see Target as a viable shopping option. the color scheme might affect some people, perhaps. that bright red makes your subconscious attribute importance and authority to Target, maybe.
Even more bizarre is the love for it and the hatred for Walmart which offers many more options, and they both have all but the exact same working conditions/policies, but muh Walmart is evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 09:35 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Even more bizarre is the love for it and the hatred for Walmart which offers many more options, and they both have all but the exact same working conditions/policies, but muh Walmart is evil.
I agree with this almost 100%. but, people feel empowered, dignified, and can sleep at night knowing they picked the soft target that is everything wrong with the world. in this case, Wal-Mart.

Sure, the company that can offer adults who do not have higher education a somewhat decent job (it isn't line work in a highway ditch in February), w/ benefits, and likely an employee discount. And, they sell stuff at good prices. I don't shop there because it is too much travel for what its worth, but i will go to stock up on contact lens solution - their generic brand seems to be the best of the low cost brands. the price they charge is competitive with what i find on amazon for non-major brand saline.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:48 AM

1,170 posts, read 535,924 times
walked to giant eagle market district yesterday - ran into my neighbor who was in her driveway, a buddy of mine who was walking down centre ave, and another buddy of mine who was having drinks with friends outside mad mex

when you live in the suburbs and you have to drive to the supermarket, the possibility of those random interactions while you're traveling is ZERO

people who are social and enjoy running into friends live in walkable neighborhoods like shadyside - people who are anti-social or who want to control their social interactions live in the suburbs

Old 01-09-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
walked to giant eagle market district yesterday - ran into my neighbor who was in her driveway, a buddy of mine who was walking down centre ave, and another buddy of mine who was having drinks with friends outside mad mex

when you live in the suburbs and you have to drive to the supermarket, the possibility of those random interactions while you're traveling is ZERO

people who are social and enjoy running into friends live in walkable neighborhoods like shadyside - people who are anti-social or who want to control their social interactions live in the suburbs
People in the burbs can run into each other outside their homes all the time, at the supermarket certainly isn’t ZERO. People can certainly be social without being so insecure that they need human interaction all the time.

There’s a whole wide world of socializing and interaction in the world. You get the opportunity to meet new people everywhere you go, rather than being sheltered to one area.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-09-2021 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-09-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post

but see, now you are making it personal. discussions like these have raged on this board before you became a member, BPS. some people are content in a suburban environment. there ARE community gathering areas where people know each other in those places. Plum Borough is one such place. I was very surprised to meet other people there over the years at my friend's kids' baseball and soccer games - nice people, actually!

But its not like they are all miserable and misguided because the live in the suburbs. Open your mind a little.

If anything, generally i think people in the suburbs are nicer - but of course it depends on context, where specifically, the TYPE of community, etc.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:26 PM

^^^^^
Bingo....and many are so sheltered and/or scared to leave their own hood. They have little/no experience of what they complain about.

There’s a poster from the city that insisted there’s fracking/gas wells in Cranberry Twp, lol.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-09-2021 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-09-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
^^^^^
Bingo....and many are so sheltered and/or scared to leave their own hood. They have little/no experience of what they complain about.

There’s a poster from the city that insisted there’s fracking/gas wells in Cranberry Twp, lol.
i think its not that - its just inexperienced and idealistic youth. when i came to this board i still hated suburbs. probably because while in VA, i wanted to live so badly in DC, but the job was in Fairfax County. I was not about to increase my commuting by 400% in time and money.

But not EVERYONE can live in teh suburbs. what then? Suburban cleveland continues to sprawl and meet the pgh metro area somewhere in new castle? constant traffic, mcdonalds, MORE roads and wider roads, etc....

its this equilibrium i mentioned before...those that wish to will live there, where they are most comfortable. those that want something different are likely to gravitate to elsewhere....

Old 01-09-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i think its not that - its just inexperienced and idealistic youth. when i came to this board i still hated suburbs. probably because while in VA, i wanted to live so badly in DC, but the job was in Fairfax County. I was not about to increase my commuting by 400% in time and money.

But not EVERYONE can live in teh suburbs. what then? Suburban cleveland continues to sprawl and meet the pgh metro area somewhere in new castle? constant traffic, mcdonalds, MORE roads and wider roads, etc....

its this equilibrium i mentioned before...those that wish to will live there, where they are most comfortable. those that want something different are likely to gravitate to elsewhere....
There’s been many that have said the suburbs are racist, people are snooty, complain about soccer moms being meanies, gas wells in places there aren’t, no sidewalks, etc, etc, etc..., and when asked where these places are, there’s rarely ever a response, lol. In this case, someone who doesn’t own a car, admittedly doesn’t leave their area, obviously has no concept of what goes on outside their own hood, and especially in regards to travel and the desirability and demand of vehicles. They’re obviously sheltered, and are simply prejudiced about things they don’t even have experience with.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-09-2021 at 08:57 PM..

Old 01-10-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
There’s been many that have said the suburbs are racist, people are snooty, complain about soccer moms being meanies, gas wells in places there aren’t, no sidewalks, etc, etc, etc..., and when asked where these places are, there’s rarely ever a response, lol. In this case, someone who doesn’t own a car, admittedly doesn’t leave their area, obviously has no concept of what goes on outside their own hood, and especially in regards to travel and the desirability and demand of vehicles. They’re obviously sheltered, and are simply prejudiced about things they don’t even have experience with.
uh, please.

the suburbs are racist....in my life experiences, i had never encountered so much racism as that from urban black people, either here, in DC, Harrisburg, or Montreal (though much less so there).

people are snooty...definitely the suburbs, but it is more a function of the localized area. are you talking ross township, or more exclusive parts of Mars, Fox Chapel, or Hampden? the same argument can be made for the city of Pittsburgh - case in point, the more ritzy enclaves of Squirrel Hill. Again, this is anecdotal per my experience. But I def. would give the suburbs a far lead in snootiness.

soccer moms being meanies...trust me - some DADs of football and baseball kids can be d-bags.

no sidewalks...true, that housing probably wont be approved without sidewalks in the city. however, there ARE neighborhoods w/out them - Banksville, Ridgemont, some streets in Elliot and possibly Brookline (down the hill, near 51). Granted, those are all designed to be 'suburban'....what gets me is those walking women who dont move to the side when they hear a vehicle approach them from behind. it seems they are playing a power game or something.

They’re obviously sheltered, and are simply prejudiced about things they don’t even have experience with...thats why i think better to educate, and not attack the guy. he is probably on his first architectural or design job out of school, and believes he will save the world. i was equally guilty of that, 100%, and thought i knew everything about everything, and classified people all the time (suburban, city, etc.). ALL problems were due to people commuting from suburbs, paying less taxes, and polluting, etc.

It did not occur to me then that if they ALL lived in the city, within walking distance of what they need, they would make things more crowded, and raise rents to the point I would be doomed after just getting out of college and having student loans.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:00 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,713 times
I’m not the biggest fan of the east end. I do think that there are many people with their heads in the clouds. And each group has their own echo chamber. Neither side wants to talk to the other. Then again it is hard to associate with people you have very little interests and things in common with.

That said who has the youth has the future. The east end is a bright spot in a largely stagnant and/or declining city. People staying in secluded neighborhoods is not good either. Those in the east end should go experience the exburbs like cranberry or these small burgs in westmoreland county. The problem is the Pittsburgh metro as a whole still reflects what America of 25-30 plus years ago. So do many other places in the rust belt.

Ultimately I think the minority in this country with their extreme political leanings are going to have to open up their minds and embrace change or it is going to continue being a rough ride towards marginalization ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh