Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 06:23 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post

it's quite possible, especially in a town famous for self-driving car research and development, that one day people will not be allowed to own cars

that might sound crazy but then the idea of not being allowed to own a horse and carriage probably sounded crazy at the time when that's how people got around

they're obviously pushing hard to make self-driving cars a reality - here's an interesting question

if you currently live in the suburbs and one day the government said "no more private car ownership", would you move to the city?
A lot of the suburbs are more walkable than the city. There are city neighborhoods in which there is nothing to walk to. I live in downtown Kittanning (a local county seat) and everything is in walking distance, and lots of government jobs, too. Most of the county seats are self contained and walkable. By the time cars are outlawed, most of us may be working from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 06:45 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
A lot of the suburbs are more walkable than the city. There are city neighborhoods in which there is nothing to walk to. I live in downtown Kittanning (a local county seat) and everything is in walking distance, and lots of government jobs, too. Most of the county seats are self contained and walkable. By the time cars are outlawed, most of us may be working from home.
Agreed. But how do you connect people to those areas? How do you bring them back economically? Why are only folks focused on the east end and how do you show them these other places offer much more?

Old 01-10-2021, 08:21 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
kittaning is not really 'suburban' per se, though. as mckeesport, and other old river towns are not. they matured differently than say, McCandless, which is probably the big hot spot for attracting residents in allegheny county, or second to n. fayette.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
kittaning is not really 'suburban' per se, though. as mckeesport, and other old river towns are not. they matured differently than say, McCandless, which is probably the big hot spot for attracting residents in allegheny county, or second to n. fayette.
Oh, yes, it is definitely not a suburb. But there are many walkable suburbs, such as Dormont, Mt. Lebanon, Millvale, Sharpsburg, Bellevue, Wilkinsburg, Swissvale, Forest Hills, to name just a few that sprang to mind.

I love urban neighborhoods and the city, but I find it really important to remind people that our small cities, towns, and older suburbs offer an affordable alternative to city living with many of the same amenities.

The main thing I miss living in the country is the culture you find in a big city. Sadly, post-Covid, it may be a long time in rebuilding culture.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Agreed. But how do you connect people to those areas? How do you bring them back economically? Why are only folks focused on the east end and how do you show them these other places offer much more?
Most of the county seats are pretty stable. I'd say in general none of them have faced anywhere near the levels of blight or deterioration that some places closer to the city have. Most of the county seat business districts, while not booming necessarily, are much more vital than other small towns. The only business districts I have seen that are more vital are the gentrified neighborhoods in the city, or the wealthy suburbs such as Sewickley. I have explored most of the county seats, and the only one that stands out as needing a little TLC is Washington. Even Uniontown, in depressed Fayette County, is quite lively and beautiful. Butler, Greensburg, Beaver are doing wonderful.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:54 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Oh, yes, it is definitely not a suburb. But there are many walkable suburbs, such as Dormont, Mt. Lebanon, Millvale, Sharpsburg, Bellevue, Wilkinsburg, Swissvale, Forest Hills, to name just a few that sprang to mind.

I love urban neighborhoods and the city, but I find it really important to remind people that our small cities, towns, and older suburbs offer an affordable alternative to city living with many of the same amenities.

The main thing I miss living in the country is the culture you find in a big city. Sadly, post-Covid, it may be a long time in rebuilding culture.
right. well-stated. and i agree that in the mid-atlantic US, these older rust belt cities that ruled the last century with our industrial might are not cookie cutter that you might find in Phoenix, Los Angeles, and the like...smaller populated entities outside the larger, anchoring one have sidewalks, parks, Main Streets....even around DC in Maryland, but not so much in VA except Alexandria...

you live in the country? AWESOME. yes, i would miss city culture, too if i moved out, but to be honest with you, you might have an idealized vision that does not exist anymore. people are nasty. they are instantaneously judgemental. they are racist. so quick to anger and with such opinions that you MUST accept.

Those that may NOT be are insular - you can never get to know them, anyway. There are more and more people of eastern descent (india, pakistan, china, et al). I am a child of immigrants - i would LOVE to meet these people and befriend them. I would enjoy knowing them and hearing their accomplishments (CMU people? tech? doctors? etc.)...its impossible, people jsut dont mingle and talk like they use to.

old man syndrome....excuse me, bathroom call and time for geritol.

short version: i love me the city, for what it COULD be. i would love the country, for its quiet and human interactions that, hopefully, are not strained, based on unspoken thoughts or predjudices....

Old 01-11-2021, 02:18 PM

755 posts, read 471,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
right. well-stated. and i agree that in the mid-atlantic US, these older rust belt cities that ruled the last century with our industrial might are not cookie cutter that you might find in Phoenix, Los Angeles, and the like...smaller populated entities outside the larger, anchoring one have sidewalks, parks, Main Streets....even around DC in Maryland, but not so much in VA except Alexandria...

you live in the country? AWESOME. yes, i would miss city culture, too if i moved out, but to be honest with you, you might have an idealized vision that does not exist anymore. people are nasty. they are instantaneously judgemental. they are racist. so quick to anger and with such opinions that you MUST accept.

Those that may NOT be are insular - you can never get to know them, anyway. There are more and more people of eastern descent (india, pakistan, china, et al). I am a child of immigrants - i would LOVE to meet these people and befriend them. I would enjoy knowing them and hearing their accomplishments (CMU people? tech? doctors? etc.)...its impossible, people jsut dont mingle and talk like they use to.

old man syndrome....excuse me, bathroom call and time for geritol.

short version: i love me the city, for what it COULD be. i would love the country, for its quiet and human interactions that, hopefully, are not strained, based on unspoken thoughts or predjudices....
There are several groups that do just what you are describing - mentoring recent arrivals to the area. Here is one of them called Hello Neighbor: https://www.helloneighbor.io/

I believe Literacy Pittsburgh has something similar built more around language. I have a friend who volunteered and it did develop into a sort of mentor/mentee thing.

I lived a quiet country life for 15 years and for me it got a little boring. There are definitely tensions in rural areas also, but people just tend not to talk about things like politics and religion, since you never know when you might need your neighbor's help or vice versa. Best to be on good terms.

The thing I found really odd coming from an urban area was that people were really observant about your comings and goings. Not in a nebby way, but in more of a way that you just look out for your neighbor, regardless of their politics or other believes. Maybe it's not that way in every rural community, but it was where we lived.

Back on topic. What I love about Shadyside is the village feel north of 5th ave. and east of Aiken Ave. and good access to transit and other great neighborhoods. It would be nice to see something more like the Beltline in Atlanta promoted in Pgh, connecting urban neighborhoods with parks and other amenities.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:31 AM

1,170 posts, read 535,160 times
Quote:
checked it out on google streetview - looks like a cool little town

Old 01-12-2021, 09:39 AM

882 posts, read 335,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
cars are a complete pain in the ass - even new models can turn into complete nightmares if you get a lemon.

I dunno...I have a 2002 Trailblazer that I bought 5 years ago for a few thousand bucks. Haven't had any problems whatsoever with it, goes great in the snow and starts right up. I don't have any car payments, I do basic maintenance myself, and if anything major comes up, I've saved enough money by not having car payments that putting in a new engine or transmission won't be a big deal if it ever happens, which it likely won't.

Just like everything, do your research and don't buy something that's gonna give you problems and/or is expensive to fix.

And whatever you do, don't ever buy a new car. Complete waste of money, unless you have it to spare.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:13 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
[quote=BUILD PENN SQUARE;60111404
people who are social and enjoy running into friends live in walkable neighborhoods like shadyside - people who are anti-social or who want to control their social interactions live in the suburbs[/QUOTE]

Pretty broad brush, any stats to back that up? I think the opposite is true, using the same stats you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh