Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 07:05 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
That’s very true. However the same can be said for a lot of republicans and Trump supporters. Peduto and trump could incite riots and never loose support or be held accountable. I see a lot of parallels with Peduto and trump supporters.
You’re right about Peduto, as Dems promote inciting riots. Just ask them about John Sullivan. Pittsburgh votes D no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 07:58 AM

527 posts, read 319,610 times
Quote:
Peduto and trump could incite riots and never loose support or be held accountable.

I could see someone beating Peduto. Trump did maintain high approvals with Repubicans no matter what. We'll see what happens with Peduto.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:10 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
The city's demographics have shifted rapidly over the course of the past decade or two. A significantly larger percentage of the population lives in the Greater East End than in prior years, and that area is undoubtedly the most liberal part of the city overall. The city has also become younger and better-educated overall. I believe the median age of the city is now like 33, and if I'm not mistaken over 40% of young adults possess at least a Bachelor's Degree. If you're young, educated, liberal, and living in the East End you're going to vote for Peduto over an ex-cop who's slogan of "REAL STEEL" makes it sound as if he wants Pittsburgh to "toughen up".

IF voter turnout is down in the East End and up elsewhere in the city and IF a third "spoiler" doesn't enter the race then Peduto could be in trouble, and Moreno could win. If someone else jumps in to grab votes away from people who hate both cops AND Peduto, then Peduto wins. I have seen Facebook posts from one guy (Michael Thompson maybe was his name?) who said he also plans to run for mayor, so he could end up being the spoiler to ensure a Peduto victory.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:33 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
The way to win a primary against Peduto is to win the working-class white vote and the black vote. Black Pittsburghers have never been as sold on Peduto as white liberals, and he's lost votes to black candidates in both his primaries (I voted for the black candidates in both cases, FWIW).

I do not see a retired cop as the right person to appeal to black Pittsburgh however.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The way to win a primary against Peduto is to win the working-class white vote and the black vote. Black Pittsburghers have never been as sold on Peduto as white liberals, and he's lost votes to black candidates in both his primaries (I voted for the black candidates in both cases, FWIW).

I do not see a retired cop as the right person to appeal to black Pittsburgh however.
Bingo

They’d much prefer the police defunded versus having a former cop as mayor.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:39 AM

527 posts, read 319,610 times
Quote:

Yeah, that makes sense. The fact is the city is much bigger than the east end, so the right candidate could appeal to different groups enough to beat Peduto.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:55 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The city's demographics have shifted rapidly over the course of the past decade or two. A significantly larger percentage of the population lives in the Greater East End than in prior years, and that area is undoubtedly the most liberal part of the city overall. The city has also become younger and better-educated overall. I believe the median age of the city is now like 33, and if I'm not mistaken over 40% of young adults possess at least a Bachelor's Degree. If you're young, educated, liberal, and living in the East End you're going to vote for Peduto over an ex-cop who's slogan of "REAL STEEL" makes it sound as if he wants Pittsburgh to "toughen up".

IF voter turnout is down in the East End and up elsewhere in the city and IF a third "spoiler" doesn't enter the race then Peduto could be in trouble, and Moreno could win. If someone else jumps in to grab votes away from people who hate both cops AND Peduto, then Peduto wins. I have seen Facebook posts from one guy (Michael Thompson maybe was his name?) who said he also plans to run for mayor, so he could end up being the spoiler to ensure a Peduto victory.
Well stated.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:36 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:

I thing Sala Udin's recent negative comment about "Latte Liberals" is so true. That's who Peduto appeals to. People white people who support BLM but wouldn't volunteer at a Hill District soup kitchen because the area is not safe.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I thing Sala Udin's recent negative comment about "Latte Liberals" is so true. That's who Peduto appeals to. People white people who support BLM but wouldn't volunteer at a Hill District soup kitchen because the area is not safe.
Bingo

Old 01-15-2021, 01:10 PM

755 posts, read 471,763 times
Quote:

You're right. I think he has huge vulnerabilities and could easily see a coalition emerge as you're saying. We need a candidate that can look to the other munies in Allegheny County to find low hanging fruit for shared services ultimately leading to some annexations. If not Pgh is going to have less and less representation in Harrisburg and less state investment with all the growth in the SE and Lehigh Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh