Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 01:39 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I see many small leaks and only 2 large ones.

Right, I updated that. The two large ones weren't supposed to happen though with their risk projections. Both leaks were near the top end of the 1,000 to 10,000 barrels range in their projections which were supposed to happen once every 39 years. The two were just shy of the 10,000 barrel projection that's supposed to run a risk of once every 50 years. Unfortunately, in just a ten year period (well, ten year period of operation so far, but the leaks happened two years apart), these once in a 39 year, nearly once in 50 year leaks happened twice which is what makes TC Energy's projections somewhat suspect.

Of course, they could have just been very, very unlucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 01:42 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, I updated that. The two large ones weren't supposed to happen though with their risk projections. Both leaks were near the top end of the 1,000 to 10,000 barrels part which in their projections were supposed to happen once every 39 years. The two were just shy of the 10,000 barrel projection that's supposed to run a risk of once every 50 years. Unfortunately, in just a ten year period (well, ten year period of operation so far, but the leaks happened two years apart), these once in a 39 year, nearly once in 50 year leaks happened twice which is what makes TC Energy's projections somewhat suspect.

Of course, they could have just been very, very unlucky.
It’s still only 2 large leaks that are being/have been cleaned up.

Risk projections and predictions are often wrong. I’d wager the zero emission prediction by executive order Joe is wrong, and I’d wager Kerry’s statement is accurate.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
It’s still only 2 large leaks that are being/have been cleaned up.

Risk projections and predictions are often wrong. I’d wager the zero emission prediction by executive order Joe is wrong, and I’d wager Kerry’s statement is accurate.

Right, risk projections and predictions can be wrong, and so the Keystone XL pipeline was put forth on the idea of the risk projections being a fairly good guideline and the pipeline would be a good idea as the risk wouldn't have been so bad. The approval of the pipeline is predicated on that risk assessment and weighed against the economic benefit. The problem is that their risk model for another recent pipeline using modern technology seems to point towards their risk projections being wrong and being wrong in a very negative way. It'd be fantastic if the projections for that pipeline were wrong in that their projections over the decade of operation dramatically overstated the risk, but it actually went in the opposite direction and the projection seems to have dramatically understated the risk. That's important because Keystone XL, the one that's cancelled now, was using similar risk models for spills, but the ramifications for that pipeline are larger because of it going over important rivers and aquifers.

This would be a much different conversation if the risk projections for their existing modern pipeline had at least met if not dramatically overstated risk, but that's unfortunately not what happened. So the risk then appears to be understated rather than overstated, and the economic boon it's supposed to generate also can't really work out without the high oil prices needed to make the Alberta tar sands economically productive and OPEC has definitely signaled their will and ability to crash prices to squeeze out more expensive producers. This is having the worst of both sides of the equation. Someone who looks at this and is still all in then isn't really all there or is the kind of person who recommends that you buy high and sell low in the market.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:53 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
i dont want to see the pipeline because things point to a drastic reduction in gasoline usage in the coming decades. add to that the US is still the biggest oil producer in the world. the pipeline will neither harm nor help gas prices as much as geopolitics outside the continent, consumer trends, and innovation.

and, F canada.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Right, risk projections and predictions can be wrong, and so the Keystone XL pipeline was predicated on the idea of the risk projections being a fairly good guideline and thus the pipeline would have been a good idea as the risk wouldn't have been so bad. The approval of the pipeline is predicated on that risk assessment and weighed against the economic benefit. The problem is that their risk model for another recent pipeline using modern technology seems to point towards their risk projections being wrong and being wrong in a very negative way. It'd be fantastic if the projections for that pipeline were wrong in that their projections over the decade of operation dramatically overstated the risk, but it actually went in the opposite direction and the projection seems to have dramatically understated the risk. That's important because Keystone XL, the one that's cancelled now, was using similar risk models for spills, but the ramifications for that pipeline are larger because of it going over important rivers and aquifers.

This would be a much different conversation if the risk projections for their existing modern pipeline had at least met if not dramatically overstated risk, but that's unfortunately not what happened. So the risk then appears to be understated rather than overstated, and the economic boon it's supposed to generate also can't really work out without the high oil prices needed to make the Alberta tar sands economically productive. This is having the worst of both sides of the equation. Someone who looks at this and is still all in then isn't really all there or is the kind of person who recommends that you buy high and sell low in the market.
All said and done, it’s 2 large spills and some other smaller ones, and nothing more.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i dont want to see the pipeline because things point to a drastic reduction in gasoline usage in the coming decades. add to that the US is still the biggest oil producer in the world. the pipeline will neither harm nor help gas prices as much as geopolitics outside the continent, consumer trends, and innovation.

and, F canada.
What’s your problem with Canada?

Old 02-04-2021, 01:57 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
What’s your problem with Canada?
you have a problem with my having a problem with canada?

Old 02-04-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
you have a problem with my having a problem with canada?
Nope. Just asking why you have a problem with them?

I’m looking forward to seeing this drastic gasoline reduction. Better get some engineers that can get a lot of miles per charge, and a gigantic amount of charging stations that can recharge a vehicle very fast. I’m also interested in hearing about electric bills. Those that are touting all electric obviously have no idea the expense of electric heat/A/C, appliances, charging a vehicle, etc...

Old 02-04-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
All said and done, it’s 2 large spills and some other smaller ones, and nothing more.

I guess so, but you would think that it makes sense to realistically weigh the risk and reward.

Like, what if you were offered a tasty Chipotle burrito for free. That's kind of nice. Now you need to commit to biting into it first sight unseen, but there's a one out of fifty change that burrito is packed with poop? Would you still take it? Now let's say you said yes, but then I switched it around and it's actually one out of five chance it's packed with poop? Well, hell, you still got a good chance of coming out with a delicious free burrito, so I guess you'd definitely say yes!

Old 02-04-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I guess so, but you would think that it makes sense to realistically weigh the risk and reward.

Like, what if you were offered a tasty Chipotle burrito for free. That's kind of nice. Now you need to commit to biting into it first sight unseen, but there's a one out of fifty change that burrito is packed with poop? Would you still take it? Now let's say you said yes, but then I switched it around and it's actually one out of five chance it's packed with poop? Well, hell, you still got a good chance of coming out with a delicious free burrito, so I guess you'd definitely say yes!
There’s no guessing about it. You posted the results and they’re plain as day.

That’s an extreme reach of a strawman argument, especially since you posted the actual results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh