Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:47 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,107,821 times

Advertisements

I have a friend from Toronto who was just appalled at the amount of litter he saw when he was home recently.

Just came across this blog: Citizens Against Litter about cleaning up litter in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,305,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have a friend from Toronto who was just appalled at the amount of litter he saw when he was home recently.

Just came across this blog: Citizens Against Litter about cleaning up litter in Pittsburgh.
Does anyone know if the city pays anyone to sweep the streets and sidewalks? I know many cities also "employ" the services of resident jailbirds. Does Pittsburgh have such a program? Seems like a relatively great way to kill two birds with one stone (no pun intended) if you can have non-violent prisoners clean up the streets and alleyways.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:36 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,036,990 times
I forgot about Detroit. *cringe*

Old 05-09-2008, 02:18 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,107,821 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if the city pays anyone to sweep the streets and sidewalks?
Sidewalks, I'd assume, are the property owner's deal, like with snow shoveling. And the city does have the street sweeping vehicles, but they don't do every street.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:40 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,305,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sidewalks, I'd assume, are the property owner's deal, like with snow shoveling. And the city does have the street sweeping vehicles, but they don't do every street.
Oh sorry about that, I always for get that I need to explain myself more thoroughly on here. By sidewalks, I am referring to those along main streets, not necessarily neighborhood ones. *sorry*

Old 06-26-2011, 03:37 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,590,072 times
Part of the problem in Pittsburgh is litter on steep hills. It's much harder to remove.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 PM

101 posts, read 217,767 times
Coming from Maine.

Boy, I noticed the litter.

Pittsburgh was worse than Boston.

To be frank when I came down here for college I wondered why people here didn't take pride in their homes and neighborhoods. Up there it was a pride thing. That mentality that it is OUR home and we'd be *&^ed if we'd let people trash it. Not to mention we didn't want the trash floating in our lakes and rivers.

Belive it or not I've noticed it's gotten much better around here in the last couple of years.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,590,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsHollow View Post
To be frank when I came down here for college I wondered why people here didn't take pride in their homes and neighborhoods.
It's because "Pittsburgh sucks and it's totally lame, and can't want to get the hell out of here like anybody with any class or self-respect would! Eat my litter, losers!"

Quote:
Belive it or not I've noticed it's gotten much better around here in the last couple of years.
Probably coinciding with the fact that everybody who hated Pittsburgh because it wasn't "keeping up with other cities" began to realize that there was very little in any of these other cities worth keeping up with in the first place.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:35 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,774,833 times
Quote:
Coming from Maine.

Boy, I noticed the litter.

Pittsburgh was worse than Boston.

To be frank when I came down here for college I wondered why people here didn't take pride in their homes and neighborhoods. Up there it was a pride thing. That mentality that it is OUR home and we'd be *&^ed if we'd let people trash it. Not to mention we didn't want the trash floating in our lakes and rivers.

Understood. Maine is beautiful and much cleaner, but there are not many minorities that don't care that live up that way. Plus we have lots of yinzers that throw stuff in the back of their pickup trucks and pretend it isn't really littering if it just blows out of the truck while driving. Maine is in NE and people are more educated there.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:54 PM

101 posts, read 217,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Understood. Maine is beautiful and much cleaner, but there are not many minorities that don't care that live up that way. Plus we have lots of yinzers that throw stuff in the back of their pickup trucks and pretend it isn't really littering if it just blows out of the truck while driving. Maine is in NE and people are more educated there.
Possible.

Tourism dollars are a HUGE factor up in New England too. So there were reasons why the state and local governments would slap on very LARGE fines for littering. (Hey revenue idea!!)

When I first came down here for college in the early 90’s. How can I say this….

The people in this area were just beat down.

When they were talking about their neighborhoods to fellow locals you saw the sparks of the pride about their neighborhoods. When they were talking someone from outside the area, however, the head went down they’d wouldn’t meet your eye and you’d get that soft mutter “Oh, I’m from Pittsburgh”

Then things started changing. There’s this vibe now. It started happening before even G-20. It’s that “F THEM. WE will roll up our sleeves to get the job done. And WE will rebuild one house, one business, one street, one block at a time” attitude.

LOL! I think G-20 helped a little more by getting Pittsburgh's 'back up" as my grandmother would say by all the reaction and international mocking that happened when Pittsburgh was annouced as host.

But boy did this city ever shut them up though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh