Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 AM

13 posts, read 39,003 times

Advertisements

I've been back in Pittsburgh since 2001,and I travel a lot.I always take notice of litter in other cities...Pittsburgh has the worst litter problem I've ever seen.I always measure other cities I visit to Pittsburgh and of recent places I've visited Miami was not great and parts of San Antonio Tx were pretty bad,and Corpus Christi has some of the filthiest beaches I've ever seen.What do you'all think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,906,172 times
By far the worst litter problems I have ever seen were in Eastern European cities (once you got out of the tourist sections) back in the 1990s. But I've been informed that was a transitional problem, in that the litter was not so bad during the Cold War era and has since gotten better again.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 AM

Default I should have been more specific....

How about What's the US city with the worst litter....thanks

Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,309,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs99 View Post
I've been back in Pittsburgh since 2001,and I travel a lot.I always take notice of litter in other cities...Pittsburgh has the worst litter problem I've ever seen.I always measure other cities I visit to Pittsburgh and of recent places I've visited Miami was not great and parts of San Antonio Tx were pretty bad,and Corpus Christi has some of the filthiest beaches I've ever seen.What do you'all think???
Unfortunately, Pittsburgh. I didn't notice a litter problem in Texas, where in San Antonio did you notice this? And Miami, well, unless you are in the very expensive areas (like Coral Cables) it can be pretty gritty. Maybe it's a weather thing, because I noticed some in the west valley of Phoenix when I was over that way the other day. But as far as overall filth goes, I'd have to say that Pittsburgh wins that prize!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:36 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,044,617 times
I'm not really sure what the answer to this question could really be, but I think that both Cleveland and Buffalo beat Pittsburgh hands down, just for example. I haven't been in several years but last time I checked, Philadelphia wasn't exactly sparkling, either.

I LIVE in downtown Pittsburgh and have lived in the greater-city-area (southside, up-town) for six years. I truly don't even see this "garbage problem" unless I am just used to it. I won't rule that out!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:07 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,309,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I LIVE in downtown Pittsburgh and have lived in the greater-city-area (southside, up-town) for six years. I truly don't even see this "garbage problem" unless I am just used to it. I won't rule that out!
This is absolutely NOT a dig at you. But honestly, you are probably right. You probably don't notice it since you are there all the time. When I lived in Buffalo, I sure as heck never noticed what a garbage wreck it was -- until I moved...
Maybe it's just easier for me to see things negatively since I am back and forth so often from the west to east coasts several times a month. And the cities I am traveling to (Coral Gables, Scottsdale, Palm Springs) seem to be much more affluent over-all.
You know full well, that when I 'first' moved to Pittsburgh I loved it. Unfortunately, it didn't grow on me, and I have found more to dislike than like. But that is a subjective opinion. For example, some people LOVE the summers in Phoenix, and I happen to think they are nuts! *smile*

Old 05-07-2008, 05:01 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,044,617 times
You could be right!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Default interesting stuff

I used to live in Cleveland and when I did I thought it was dirtier than Pittsburgh but when I moved back I think my opinion changed.I left here in 1990 and I didn't remember it being so bad.I live in Bellevue and I work on Beaver Ave so I'm pretty much talking about the North side.As far as San Antonio goes my friend goes to St Mary's which is on the the west side, Cluebra St. the first time I went to the campus I was shocked buy how dirty and run down that whole area was.I haven't been in Buffalo for a long time so I cant say.I do go to San Diego and Austin a lot Those places are pretty clean although San Diego has some grimy places.Now don't get me wrong I love Pittsburgh it's my home.but I think there needs to be a more comprehensive plan to keep it clean.my wish is for the cities potential to be fully recognized.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:03 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,781,863 times
There is nowhere that can hang with Philly when it comes to litter.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,906,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
There is nowhere that can hang with Philly when it comes to litter.
I'd put parts of my original hometown (Detroit) up against Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh