Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 08:17 AM

1,170 posts, read 528,078 times

Advertisements

the bar scene was one thing we really excelled at, and now it's gone and never coming back in any meaningful way

going to the bar means different things for different age groups - if you're in college it's to get wasted and hook up, but later in life it's more about just getting out of the house and hanging out, usually with people from the neighborhood

and for everyone who says life will eventually get back to normal after the vaccine, i highly doubt the health department is ever going allow a bunch of people who are not from the same household to pack themselves in at the bar to drink and eat and in some cases smoke - not gonna happen without severe restrictions and requirements which will suck the joy out of the experience

the people who say the bar scene will get back to normal are the same people who supported the smoking ban, who had the attitude i want to sit at the bar and i don't want you to enjoy your cigarette so go smoke outside you terrible smoker, you're harming my health

the killjoys, the people who value health and safety above all else, might tell you the bar scene will eventually be back, but when it doesn't come back, like smoking at the bar basically never did, they'll secretly be happy or they just won't care because the bar scene was never fun to them in the first place

RIP Pittsburgh Bar Scene - thanks for all the great memories

https://www.post-gazette.com/in-the-...s/201405150065

Old 02-13-2021, 08:23 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,669,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
the bar scene was one thing we really excelled at, and now it's gone and never coming back in any meaningful way

going to the bar means different things for different age groups - if you're in college it's to get wasted and hook up, but later in life it's more about just getting out of the house and hanging out, usually with people from the neighborhood

and for everyone who says life will eventually get back to normal after the vaccine, i highly doubt the health department is ever going allow a bunch of people who are not from the same household to pack themselves in at the bar to drink and eat and in some cases smoke - not gonna happen without severe restrictions and requirements which will suck the joy out of the experience

the people who say the bar scene will get back to normal are the same people who supported the smoking ban, who had the attitude i want to sit at the bar and i don't want you to enjoy your cigarette so go smoke outside you terrible smoker, you're harming my health

the killjoys, the people who value health and safety above all else, might tell you the bar scene will eventually be back, but when it doesn't come back, like smoking at the bar basically never did, they'll secretly be happy or they just won't care because the bar scene was never fun to them in the first place

RIP Pittsburgh Bar Scene - thanks for all the great memories

https://www.post-gazette.com/in-the-...s/201405150065
Pittsburgh needs to reinvent itself. A long time coming. This region lacks cohesion between neighborhoods and towns. I’d rather see outdoor activities and festivals. Places where people can go out and enjoy their community. Right now this region is so far left or so far right and neither think they are wrong with their thinking. I like having the southside as the bar area, but this place needs more thank just drinking establishments. The main streets need small mom and pop shops, activities and be a place where everyone wants to be.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:26 AM

1,170 posts, read 528,078 times
taken outside FANATTICS bar (where you could eat, drink and smoke)
squirrel hill, snowmageddon 2010

Old 02-13-2021, 08:30 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,074,858 times
Love the bar scene, especially during Stillers games.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,549,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
taken outside FANATTICS bar (where you could eat, drink and smoke)

Fanattics couldn't even do fries without burning them. IBC is a huge improvement. The Cage is better than both and will be back to regular as soon as the vaccines are given to enough people.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:46 AM

1,117 posts, read 509,096 times
Sluggo’s is still open.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:18 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,022,890 times
BPS, i think you are mid-40's at least, judging from content of your past posts. do you or anyone else remember Bloomfield in the late 1990s? There was that one bar w/ the big moose head on the wall, with cigarette firmly affixed in its mouth (PETA's collective heads exploding).

I can't begin to remember its name - that was great, as was the famous Chiodo's, which Time magazine did a story on in the very early 1980s when the steel industry was past its worst collapse, but was still shrinking in dominance.

I miss Gene's Last Chance in the Strip - but its been renamed for a number of years. I still call it that. Not pandering here, but I enjoyed it because a few years back there were people of all shades. It was not uni-cultural (like, jsut a college bar, or an older gents bar, whatever).

Any opinions on Gino Borthers in Sharpsburg? I know its a pizza joint/bar, but every time i drive by that, as my italian-american friend used to say: "Madonn'!" in the presence of some beauties. Could be coincidence, but there are always some smokeshow women entering/exiting just as i drive by.

Old 02-13-2021, 12:44 PM

198 posts, read 79,897 times
Poor drug dealers.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:25 PM

1,117 posts, read 509,096 times
Yinzers heading dahn to their local beer & shot bar after a long shift at the mills is a tried and true tradition. COVID has taken that away from us, and now instead we need to stay at home with our ugly wives and annoying kids.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:16 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,002,662 times
It was dying before the pandemic. Ten years ago, there was all kinds of nightlife downtown and in the Strip. Now it's mostly restaurants. It seems to be more of a family oriented scene, than a fun bohemian scene, as it used to be! I think dating apps killed the nightlife. I watched as so many gay bars closed over the last decade. Covid put the nail in the coffin. I am hoping there will be a post-Covid boom, and people will want to have fun again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh