Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 11:21 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I read an article from Chris Briem, UofPitt economist, that new housing construction permits were at its lowest levels in decades at the end of 2010s. Something like 120 permits for the entire metro for single family construction. Insanely low and that is what is making existing construction prices go through the roof. We have a lot of dilapidated structures needing 10s of thousands to even consider move in ready. A decent ranch house in a suburb with a good school district built in the 1960s is going for over 300K. It’s really insane.

Any good existing housing to buy or rent is gonna cost you an arm and a leg. High prices in Pittsburgh are due to lots of poor existing housing stock in undesirable areas and not population growth. The housing is so old that they just need to replace old with new and nobody is doing it.

Other cities that are growing have similar issues with existing construction. They can’t build new construction quickly enough to satisfy population growth demand (opposite of Pittsburgh’s problem).

really? i recently found a number of nice, small homes on the real estate website that begins w/ a "z" for under $175, one as low as $135.

all are in what looks like Penn Hills Twp. could be an aberration. or, the site is too eager to post them and those are market value, and not selling price - or something like that. a former r.e. agent i used (but did not buy) was not a fan of the "z" site, saying it was inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 06:28 AM

179 posts, read 106,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
They're using Rent Estimates, not fair market rents.
Even if the absolute numbers they use aren't accurate, they should be acceptable to calculate a rate of change.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:39 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
Quote:
I think a lot of it has to do with a lack of move in ready housing and very little new construction. I think if you had more new construction going on it would ease the prices you are seeing. Anything that isn’t garbage goes for an arm and leg.

The city/region needs new housing IMO.
Is there really little new construction going on in Pittsburgh right now? I was there for much of the summer in 2019 and it seemed to me there was a lot going up in Shadyside, Lawrenceville and the Strip District.

https://www.penn23.com
https://2554smallman.com

Those are just some of the new developments set to finish in 2021. Although perhaps this is, in fact, a small number for a city of this size and with such an older housing stock? Are there more developments planned maybe?

Old 03-02-2021, 03:40 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
Quote:
I read an article from Chris Briem, UofPitt economist, that new housing construction permits were at its lowest levels in decades at the end of 2010s. Something like 120 permits for the entire metro for single family construction. Insanely low and that is what is making existing construction prices go through the roof. We have a lot of dilapidated structures needing 10s of thousands to even consider move in ready. A decent ranch house in a suburb with a good school district built in the 1960s is going for over 300K. It’s really insane.

Any good existing housing to buy or rent is gonna cost you an arm and a leg. High prices in Pittsburgh are due to lots of poor existing housing stock in undesirable areas and not population growth. The housing is so old that they just need to replace old with new and nobody is doing it.

Other cities that are growing have similar issues with existing construction. They can’t build new construction quickly enough to satisfy population growth demand (opposite of Pittsburgh’s problem).
Is the city offering any incentives for people to buy and renovate old properties? Like a tax abatement or reduction or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh