Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 123,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
It's slightly unsafe, also.
Not even sure what this means, Bloomfield is a city neighborhood.

You'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:51 AM

19 posts, read 42,231 times
The last thing I intend to do here is to hijack this thread, but as one who is planning a fairly soon move to Pittsburgh, the discussion here does bring up a few questions and concerns.

First of all, to the op, your question surrounded the openness of Bloomfield specifically. Your question is one I share since I am also black and in my mid-30's. The question for you is, what's your perspective? I mean, do you feel more comfortable living in an area with neighbors who are predominantly black, or do you, as I, prefer to live amidst people with a variety of backgrounds, racial makeups, and experiences? If you're considering Bloomfield as opposed to some of the other "black neighborhoods" mentioned, you probably are the kind of individual who bristles at the idea of a "white" or "black" neighborhood, and would likely want little to do with an area where the integration of races feels forced or contrived.

Either way, when I read your post, I didn't get the idea you were looking for a list of the neighborhoods where there's lots of black people. Maybe you can clarify a little more and these folks can give you some better feedback.

Now for the concern. I currently live in, and was raised in south Texas, San Antonio to be exact, and have also lived in the Seattle/Tacoma Washington area in recent years and have chosen my places to live based on my budget, distance from work, groceries, and recreation, how much I liked the areas, etc., not whether I was moving into a "black" or "white" neighborhood, and not particularly on whether or not I'd be accepted in the area. This has worked out well for me, but my question, in all seriousness is, by moving to Pittsburgh, am I stepping into some kind of timewarp back to 1956 or something? Are these considerations required in order to live successfully in this city? I am a business owner and the type of person who likes being around other positive, smart, creative people with vision and drive. It's inspiring and energizing.

I believe I saw one welcoming post. The fact that none of the rest of replies to the op said anything like, "oh no man, don't even worry about it, besides the natural divisions that come with decades of history and socioeconomic differences, find a nice place that you like and can afford and you'll be fine". That is sending out a red flag to me.

So back to the original question, is Bloomfield and open place, or are the people who live their standoffish, unwilling to share the uniqueness and charm of their neighborhood? Will they be ugly to a guy who walks into their diner looking for a cup of coffee and a bagel in the morning because he's black? Will they say, go get your car serviced over where the rest of you people go? That's my interpretation of the op's question.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,601,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I had never heard that particular idiotic phrase until I made the fateful decision to join this forum.
It's funny to me... James Carville, made it popular a few years back.

Last edited by zip95; 08-28-2008 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 01:03 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,912,997 times
some of the most intelligent and cool people I known came out of "Pennsyltuky".

It is usually just a term used by people to feel better about theirselves. I would rather live in Pennsytuky anyday than places like "Moronville".

Watch, people will jump on me for writing "Moronville", but it is ok to write slang terms for Small rural towns in PA.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStreetShuffle View Post
Not even sure what this means, Bloomfield is a city neighborhood.

You'll be fine.
//www.city-data.com/forum/3268682-post6.html

Old 08-28-2008, 01:07 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,912,997 times
Shadyside has a lot most muggings. Is it a bad neighborhood too?

Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTouch View Post
So back to the original question, is Bloomfield and open place, or are the people who live their standoffish, unwilling to share the uniqueness and charm of their neighborhood? Will they be ugly to a guy who walks into their diner looking for a cup of coffee and a bagel in the morning because he's black? Will they say, go get your car serviced over where the rest of you people go? That's my interpretation of the op's question.
Dude, most of these discussions are academic. Everyone likes a good debate, especially one about the intricacies of race relations... don't take these things seriously. People here are debating things like Pittsburgh vs. the theoretical ideal, OR, is diversity good. Of course nothing like the examples you mentioned will happen. Pittsburgh is a big-city in 21st century America... You may not even have those problems deep in the hills of Pennsyltucky.

Last edited by zip95; 08-28-2008 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 08:52 PM

14 posts, read 40,719 times
Quote:
The last thing I intend to do here is to hijack this thread, but as one who is planning a fairly soon move to Pittsburgh, the discussion here does bring up a few questions and concerns.

First of all, to the op, your question surrounded the openness of Bloomfield specifically. Your question is one I share since I am also black and in my mid-30's. The question for you is, what's your perspective? I mean, do you feel more comfortable living in an area with neighbors who are predominantly black, or do you, as I, prefer to live amidst people with a variety of backgrounds, racial makeups, and experiences? If you're considering Bloomfield as opposed to some of the other "black neighborhoods" mentioned, you probably are the kind of individual who bristles at the idea of a "white" or "black" neighborhood, and would likely want little to do with an area where the integration of races feels forced or contrived.

Either way, when I read your post, I didn't get the idea you were looking for a list of the neighborhoods where there's lots of black people. Maybe you can clarify a little more and these folks can give you some better feedback.

Now for the concern. I currently live in, and was raised in south Texas, San Antonio to be exact, and have also lived in the Seattle/Tacoma Washington area in recent years and have chosen my places to live based on my budget, distance from work, groceries, and recreation, how much I liked the areas, etc., not whether I was moving into a "black" or "white" neighborhood, and not particularly on whether or not I'd be accepted in the area. This has worked out well for me, but my question, in all seriousness is, by moving to Pittsburgh, am I stepping into some kind of timewarp back to 1956 or something? Are these considerations required in order to live successfully in this city? I am a business owner and the type of person who likes being around other positive, smart, creative people with vision and drive. It's inspiring and energizing.

I believe I saw one welcoming post. The fact that none of the rest of replies to the op said anything like, "oh no man, don't even worry about it, besides the natural divisions that come with decades of history and socioeconomic differences, find a nice place that you like and can afford and you'll be fine". That is sending out a red flag to me.

To answer your question directly (and the original post), with the caveat of the fact that I just moved here myself, I would say 'yes' people are open here and in Friendship/Bloomfield. I currently live in Friendship, and moved here sight unseen. I think this area, like Pittsburgh in general is in transition. Yes, there are 'poor' people (both black AND white) who are suspicious of the new, the unfamiliar and the changes that have come (and are continuing to do so) to this city.

I'm not sure about the regular posters to this site, whether and where other places in the country they have lived, but I grew up in New York, went to grad school in Wisconsin and lived in the Bay Area for years and I've seen 'segregated' neighborhoods where people 'bristle' at the 'other' in each of them... I feel like this neighborhood has lots of different types of people living in it and I like that. There are grad students from Pitt/Carnegie Mellon, octogenarians who've lived here all their lives, new younger couples, families both black and white.

Simply, you are NOT moving to a timewarp...but you are moving to a real place that isn't perfect, but no place is....

Old 08-28-2008, 09:06 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,783,198 times
Quote:

I suspect you would do well in Pittsburgh, Peace

Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 AM

632 posts, read 1,733,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post

I have been here for months laboring under the impression that Subdivisions was a black man.

I am often mistaken for a male on internet forums. I think it's something about the way I speak in a virtual environment - my communication patterns seem more masculine than feminine, I guess.

However, I've never been mistaken as being black before (although how can you tell race from communication on the internet anyway?). I think that's pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh