Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:27 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,695,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post

I am often mistaken for a male on internet forums. I think it's something about the way I speak in a virtual environment - my communication patterns seem more masculine than feminine, I guess.

However, I've never been mistaken as being black before (although how can you tell race from communication on the internet anyway?). I think that's pretty funny.

Well, I could say you were spelling wordz with Z's on another thread, but it was really just a dumb joke about how you said "I'm not a black man" on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:38 PM

632 posts, read 1,734,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Well, I could say you were spelling wordz with Z's on another thread, but it was really just a dumb joke about how you said "I'm not a black man" on this thread.
I missed the sarcasm somewhere along the way...

Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
I missed the sarcasm somewhere along the way...
It's usually the first thing to go when typing online.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:02 PM

19 posts, read 42,234 times
Can't speak for the op, but thanks for the input folks. It is true that when people relocate, they often have unrealistic expectations of how the new environment and people there are likely to be. After all, a lot of times, that's why the move is happening in the first place, to gain something, financial edge, better friends, more cultural experiences, big city amenities, a new start, whatever.

I enjoy and appreciate your input, whether or not it is about an area I'm specifically considering moving to. If I'm going to be in a town, I should know more than just my own four square block area anyway.

Again, thanks for the input.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:41 PM

758 posts, read 1,219,025 times
I would say that Pittsburgh is behind a lot of other cities in terms of open-minded ness
and new ideas..things are more intrenched here as this is a non-transient area...the
attitude here is "we have always done X this way, why change it?"....However, as far
as Bloomfield is concerned...they are used to seeing black people around and Pittsburgh
people are very friendly so it shouldn't be an issue...

However,having traveled to other cities..if I were choosing a city to move to..I would say Columbus,Ohio would be a better bet in terms of diversity and open ness to new
ideas and starting a business...

Old 09-01-2008, 06:50 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,602,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
open ness to ... starting a business...
Agreed...

Starting or running a successful business is, on average, completely different than having a friendly chat at the local watering hole. The obstacle is that anything larger than ma-pa requires at least some access to the local power structure, and unlike many of its neighbors, the Pittsburgh power structure is pretty homogeneous... So Pittsburgh, may not be the optimal place for a minority startup... Or maybe that makes it the perfect place... I guess it depends on how one sees the world.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
This is an old thread....but after visiting Pittsburgh last weekend...I found Lawrenceville quite a bit more interesting than I thought I would....and by association, Bloomfield as well.

While I can't comment on Bloomfield and black/white relations.

I did notice one HUGE thing in Pittsburgh....for example, even when I was in neighborhoods with a large amount of black residents...the neighorhoods still looked quite good! Even though, supposedly they are 'working-class neighborhoods' and older homes throughout Pittsburgh black or white. It seemed like wherever I went, people, to me, seemed to care about their housing regardless of economics or race or whatever else. Granted, Pittsburgh has old houses, so it isn't shiny new, but you can tell if people let things go to hell or not, and generally I noticed that they didn't throughout everywhere I went in Pittsburgh.

The other thing I REALLY like about black/white in Pittsburgh...is there are tons and tons of just regular working class white people all over the place. Why do I like this? Well, in other cities...whites seem to concentrate more rural or suburban....and the suburban have money, and the working class whites are nowhere to be found - living out in the country. So there is this strange dynamic of whites actually having money and therefore an assumption that all whites have all the money, and blacks don't - i.e. bad recipe for misconceptions. But being that there are so many working class whites all over the place...and a lot of working class neighborhoods pretty much everywhere with a large amount of white residents living in them (as well as black ones as well)...well, personally, I felt that 'racial relations' seemed much less strained than other places - thinking more of midwestern cities in MI, OH, etc.

Nontheless, while reading the Bloomfield thread, and I have more interest in that neighborhood after visiting Pittsburgh, and seeing this entire thread on race relations and PA, I thought I'd add my two cents.

Also, the 'Pennsyltucky' side conversation from earlier. I first heard that during Obama's Democratic nomination running. It had nothing to do with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh though. It was often said that the voters in the middle of PA seemed to exhibit characteristics that someone might associate with Kentucky...so therefore, between the two large PA cities, the region between was termed 'Pennsyltucky'. I have no idea if it applies or not....but being that Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia border each other...and Western Virginia and central Pennsylvania aren't too far apart with a thin Western Maryland sliver separating them....well, who knows...can't comment, but have heard the term, but very specific to central PA, and no reference whatsoever to Pitts & Philly.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The other thing I REALLY like about black/white in Pittsburgh...is there are tons and tons of just regular working class white people all over the place. Why do I like this? Well, in other cities...whites seem to concentrate more rural or suburban....and the suburban have money, and the working class whites are nowhere to be found - living out in the country. So there is this strange dynamic of whites actually having money and therefore an assumption that all whites have all the money, and blacks don't - i.e. bad recipe for misconceptions. But being that there are so many working class whites all over the place...and a lot of working class neighborhoods pretty much everywhere with a large amount of white residents living in them (as well as black ones as well)...well, personally, I felt that 'racial relations' seemed much less strained than other places - thinking more of midwestern cities in MI, OH, etc.

Nontheless, while reading the Bloomfield thread, and I have more interest in that neighborhood after visiting Pittsburgh, and seeing this entire thread on race relations and PA, I thought I'd add my two cents.
Insteresting that you mention this TigerBeer - Since I moved away from Pittsburgh for my career, seeing many cities and living in Philadelphia, NY and DC....I always tell my people back in the 'burgh that you be surprised you think Pittsburgh is the most racist or segregated city on the planet, but actually its more diverse than many other cities...

Both DC and Philly are extremely segregated DC more than Philly - Blacks/Whites/Hispanics Do No Live amongst each other like in Pitt or NY...In Philly if you do find a mix of races it mostly because either a neighborhood is on the decline and whites are taking flight to the burbs (i.e Northeast Philly) or a once Ghetto neighborhood is now Gentrifying (i.e Northern Libs, Kensington, Parts of West Philly) and are Pushing blacks/hispanics out with mostly higher rent...

In Burgh you have the Northside, Southside, E Liberty, L'ville, Edgewood, Swissvale, Munhall-Homestead, Bloomfield, Mt Washington, West End, Allentown all these areas have had Blacks and Whites living with each other for decades and no sign of it letting up.

Pittsburgh is not as segregate as some people (mostly homers that never left Pittsburgh to see what real segregation looks like and 100% negative view on the Burgh) love to think.....

Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Insteresting that you mention this TigerBeer - Since I moved away from Pittsburgh for my career, seeing many cities and living in Philadelphia, NY and DC....I always tell my people back in the 'burgh that you be surprised you think Pittsburgh is the most racist or segregated city on the planet, but actually its more diverse than many other cities...

Both DC and Philly are extremely segregated DC more than Philly - Blacks/Whites/Hispanics Do No Live amongst each other like in Pitt or NY...In Philly if you do find a mix of races it mostly because either a neighborhood is on the decline and whites are taking flight to the burbs (i.e Northeast Philly) or a once Ghetto neighborhood is now Gentrifying (i.e Northern Libs, Kensington, Parts of West Philly) and are Pushing blacks/hispanics out with mostly higher rent...

In Burgh you have the Northside, Southside, E Liberty, L'ville, Edgewood, Swissvale, Munhall-Homestead, Bloomfield, Mt Washington, West End, Allentown all these areas have had Blacks and Whites living with each other for decades and no sign of it letting up.

Pittsburgh is not as segregate as some people (mostly homers that never left Pittsburgh to see what real segregation looks like and 100% negative view on the Burgh) love to think.....
Agreed. I've heard the Midwest (the real Midwest) is the most segregated part of the country, but Seattle has one (1) "black neighborhood". Two, tops.

Flame away, Seattleites. You know it's true.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:36 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Agreed. I've heard the Midwest (the real Midwest) is the most segregated part of the country, but Seattle has one (1) "black neighborhood". Two, tops.

Flame away, Seattleites. You know it's true.
So true. I'm in Michigan at the moment and been driving in and around Detroit a lot recently out of curiousity sake. 8-mile Road separates black and white. You go south of that, and pretty much everyone is black, and when you see another white person, you can't help but look and wonder what their story is, and how they ended up 'there'. When north of 8-mile, pretty much everyone is white. I mean, that road literally separates them. There isn't a 'mixing in'...it is just 'black over here', 'white over there'. Of course there are blacks that live north of 8-mile and whites that live south of 8-mile, but they stand out, and you notice them right away in either place.

When I lived in NYC, racial relations seemed SIGNIFICANTLY more fluid...significantly. Pittsburgh seemed more fluid as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh