Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,348,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles1821 View Post
Hahah umm probably not, but I really hate it. Like it's making me miserable. I don't want to fail out, but if I do, it's not the worst thing that will happen to me
Just saw this post. Don't know what the upshot is, but just tell you from the perspective of a middle aged guy, and hopefully your parents won't be mad at me for saying it, but failing out of grad school is only disastrous if it will keep you from your calling.

Simple but true advice: Find something that you love to do and the money will follow. I wish somebody would have told me that. I went through half a dozen 'careers', and alot of unnecessary pain and self-doubt before I found myself right under my own nose. You may already know what it is that you love to do, but don't know how you'll make a living at it. Sounds to me like you have a supportive dad; you have more time than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuquesneU1984 View Post
Thanks for the reply, ExPit. I'm a guy. I would've looked closer to campus anyway if the rent wasn't generally higher than I can afford. It's good to hear that I shouldn't be concerned with the walking at nighttime issue. I researched Mt. Washington area based on your recommendation, and it seems a bit further from Duquesne U. than South Side. However, if it is indeed a safer place to be in, I will be considering it more seriously. South Side is not an unsafe place, though, is it?
No, it's not. I think with all the development that's going on around there it's safer than ever. I did my undergraduate work at Duquesne, and at that time there was a great high-rise on campus called, Cricklewood Hill, I think. It is probably still there but I don't know how affordable it is now.

But I'll tell you, I think it was Chuckles who recommended the Greentree area and that's not a bad idea. It's literally ten minutes by car, could be only five to ten minutes longer by bus, as once you hit the Parkway you have no more stop and go. In fact, there's a sprawling, it could be gated even, apartment complex in Greentree; used to be called Hyland Hills when I was there and you'll get the best of both worlds: the convenience of the city and the comfort and safety of the suburbs. Could be it might work for you. Check it out!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 12,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Simple but true advice: Find something that you love to do and the money will follow. I wish somebody would have told me that. I went through half a dozen 'careers', and alot of unnecessary pain and self-doubt before I found myself right under my own nose. You may already know what it is that you love to do, but don't know how you'll make a living at it. Sounds to me like you have a supportive dad; you have more time than you think.
As a side note, it's encouraging to hear this. I'm specializing in something totally "useless" by all "career" standards, yet my gut tells me it's what I should be doing. I tried doing the most "practical" and safe thing for a while and hell, I don't want to spend my life doing that just for job security. Some say this might be a huge mistake, leaving an excellent job (both financially and career wise) to study something that will never get me as much money or job security. But if it was a mistake, I'd like to find that out myself. And I do like to think that I have more time than I think.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuquesneU1984 View Post
As a side note, it's encouraging to hear this. I'm specializing in something totally "useless" by all "career" standards, yet my gut tells me it's what I should be doing. I tried doing the most "practical" and safe thing for a while and hell, I don't want to spend my life doing that just for job security. Some say this might be a huge mistake, leaving an excellent job (both financially and career wise) to study something that will never get me as much money or job security. But if it was a mistake, I'd like to find that out myself. And I do like to think that I have more time than I think.
I think you are on the right track. If you do something just for the money, (I have, too many times, too many jobs), what you find is that you are fast off the post, faster than your friends who are thinking long-term, but as you tire and get bored and more and more unfulfilled, they start to pick up steam, and just when you're ready to take the Smithfield Street Bridge, (No, make it the Liberty, it's higher), they are coming into their stride.

What's the old expression? Life is short and we're all a long-time dead. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh