Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 12:21 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Statues are not history nor do they teach you it. They are meant for idolization and yes Christopher was indeed a racist, rapist, and committed genocide. Individuals like this don’t deserve a national holiday (for a country they did not find) or praise in the sense of a statue. I think it is very easy for people to be dismissive of this because they don’t understand their history.
What good does removing statues and/or history do?

They certainly are history and they bring awareness of history. Folks learn from the past, whether it hurts their feelings or not.

Do your feelings go for all statues of people who have been found to have a checkered past, or are you being dismissive of certain ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 12:29 PM

408 posts, read 231,217 times
No they are not history, please study up on the subject. Also, who is saving anything about removing History? Stop putting words in peoples mouth. Statues play a role in history for illustrations in museums. Clearly these cases (especially the one in this thread) they are used for idolization / romanticizing the past. You do not learn from statues, you learn from books.

I read through this thread and clearly people are being very ignorant on what he actually did. People standing up to keep these statues up, in this context, are are promoting idolization for such a human and that behavior is ok. Again, individuals need to understand their history better.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
No they are not history, please study up on the subject. Also, who is saving anything about removing History? Stop putting words in peoples mouth. Statues play a role in history for illustrations in museums. Clearly these cases (especially the one in this thread) they are used for idolization. You do not learn from statues, you learn from books.

I read through this thread and clearly people are being very ignorant on what he actually did. People standing up to keep these statues up in this context, are are promoting idolizing such a human and that behavior is ok. Again, individuals need to understand their history better.
Most statues represent people in history. That’s why they’re erected.

And statues bring attention to history, where people read the books about the people.

So in other words, you want certain statues removed and other statues are okay, even though many of these people have checkered pasts?

Old 04-06-2021, 12:45 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
How many statues memorializing people of today's younger politically correct generation will be erected in the future?

Old 04-06-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
How many statues memorializing people of today's younger politically correct generation will be erected in the future?
With the way feelings are going, very few. Those that hand out the most free stuff and coddle the most will get the nod.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:10 PM

755 posts, read 471,763 times
This is one place where I have changed my mind after talking to people. I had felt that any statue is simply a reverential statement specific to some time or place. If the understanding of that time has changed, which is inevitable, then it is a learning opportunity for current and future people to present that opposing view in a way that places the figure in historical context. However, the post-civil war era statues are an exception. Almost all were erected after reconstruction as a statement of support for the prevailing (white) power structures. Why should any taxpaying African American citizen of Alabama (or Mississippi, or South Carolina . . .) have to put up with a blatant public expression of institutional racism in the year 2021?

Old 04-06-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
This is one place where I have changed my mind after talking to people. I had felt that any statue is simply a reverential statement specific to some time or place. If the understanding of that time has changed, which is inevitable, then it is a learning opportunity for current and future people to present that opposing view in a way that places the figure in historical context. However, the post-civil war era statues are an exception. Almost all were erected after reconstruction as a statement of support for the prevailing (white) power structures. Why should any taxpaying African American citizen of Alabama (or Mississippi, or South Carolina . . .) have to put up with a blatant public expression of institutional racism in the year 2021?
So those that don’t pay taxes have no say?

Because statues don’t hurt everyone’s feelings and history can be learned from what the people did in the past.

What many don’t understand is that picking and choosing what happens/happened, doesn’t represent everyone, and picking and choosing which should stay and go is often a matter of hypocrisy, especially since we now know the past of so many of these folks.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:21 PM

755 posts, read 471,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
So those that don’t pay taxes have no say?
Strike that. It is irrelevant. However, I would argue if you are paying to maintain the park where the statue sits, and to have the statue cleaned or lighted or landscaped, etc., it might add a little more insult to injury.

My point is that the civil war Confederate "hero" statues are a singular case. The only ones I am in favor of removing rather than explaining with context. I know, I know, whose context? Well, that's culture and it will be different today than it will be 50 years from now. Compare the interpretation of any museum collection to what was provided 50 years ago and it will be very different.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:24 PM

1,411 posts, read 565,000 times
Quote:
Statues are not history nor do they teach you it. They are meant for idolization and yes Christopher was indeed a racist, rapist, and committed murder. Individuals like this don’t deserve a national holiday (for a country they did not find) or praise in the sense of a statue. I think it is very easy for people to be dismissive of this because they don’t understand their history. Taking this down is correcting a mistake of the past. People who are against this, I truly question.
Oh boy, a voice from the woke brigade speaks.
Who are you or those of your clueless ilk to determine what is "idolization" or merely commemoration, which is what most statutes were erected for? Do you even know the difference?
I would argue that statutes of Lenin & Stalin, during the days of the USSR, or currently in Cuba with the odious Che, or the Kim family of despots in North Korea are idols, as were those of Hitler in Germany.
What about the various regimental memorials at Gettysburg, or those for the USAAF in England, where my father served ? You better not go to Trafalgar Square in London; there's old Lord Nelson 169 feet up in the air.
If anyone doesn't understand history, it's you. You don't view 1492, or 1863, or 1944, or 44 B.C. through the lens of 2021.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:29 PM

1,411 posts, read 565,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
They could erect one statue symbolizing the entire generation of nitwits; a "human", preferably a transgender who is pansexual, with cranium firmly inserted into it's fundament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh