Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:07 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Ahhh, you think it’s a personal thing, when actually it’s also a business thing. Contrary to some folks feelings, not everyone chooses to come to or live in a heavily lib/progressive city...and with a city that struggles financially, loses population yearly, and lacks much in the way of desirability, things like this don’t help...and the city obviously doesn’t live in many peoples minds because people aren’t staying and/or coming.

whatever. its a town run by morons. place a 311 call, and you get the company line, something like "just apply for a permit and leave us alone - you aren't special, after all" or some crap like that.

they have drug addicts and/or users for employees. people who dont give a damn that much to help people out.

a mayor who just wants to be loved, it seems. and a council person or two, or three, who want their name attached to feel-good legislation, when really only ONE (kail-smith) is the only one sensible enough to know they are there for quality of life issues, not to pander to special interests of a handful of degenerates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 04:55 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_lanes View Post
Oh I know it somehow affects people outside Pittsburgh, that's why it's so funny. I can't imagine ever giving a single **** about a statue in Etna or Cranberry being moved. The city lives rent free in some peoples minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Ahhh, you think it’s a personal thing, when actually it’s also a business thing. Contrary to some folks feelings, not everyone chooses to come to or live in a heavily lib/progressive city...and with a city that struggles financially, loses population yearly, and lacks much in the way of desirability, things like this don’t help...and the city obviously doesn’t live in many peoples minds because people aren’t staying and/or coming.
Actually, it IS personal - some of us have to go into the Peoples Republic of Pittsburgh for work.. the city addresses no quality of life issues - prostitutes playing dice and smoking crack (not a stereotype, I've seen it), addicts constantly hustling me for money, worried about getting stabbed by one of Peduto's 'a city for all' people (though apparently that tolerance doesnt extend to allowing mentally ill addicts to run around Point Breeze, Regent Square, Shadyside, or Sq Hill), worried about getting run over on a sidewalk by a disadvantaged youth who is popping a wheelie on a quad bike....
Those things are going on.

But the priority of the ruling class is to attack 'racist' statues, because addressing any of the aforementioned quality of life issues is also somehow 'racist'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
whatever. its a town run by morons. place a 311 call, and you get the company line, something like "just apply for a permit and leave us alone - you aren't special, after all" or some crap like that.

they have drug addicts and/or users for employees. people who dont give a damn that much to help people out.

a mayor who just wants to be loved, it seems. and a council person or two, or three, who want their name attached to feel-good legislation, when really only ONE (kail-smith) is the only one sensible enough to know they are there for quality of life issues, not to pander to special interests of a handful of degenerates.
I do have respect for Kail-Smith as having common-sense. The rest think that they're a mini-Congress and live in ideological dreamlands with outsized senses of importance.
I won't disparage the city workers though - I know SCR is a city worker, and I respect him.

And these are the types of people who talk about a city-county merger and who wish that they could annex adjacent municipalities (like Etna)...
I want NO part of their high taxes, insane government, ****-poor public services, and failing school district that bleeds money.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:42 AM

882 posts, read 335,125 times
It's funny how the right tries to attach "cancel culture" exclusively to the left, while forgetting about their own forays into the soup.

• Cancel France and call them "Freedom Fries"
  • Cancel any republican that breathes a bad word about the former president
  • Cancel the Dixie Chicks because they disagreed with President Bush
  • Cancel Kapernick because he had the audacity to kneel during the anthem
  • Cancel the movie The Hunt because Jason Chafettz thought it was about celebrating the killing of “deplorables.”
  • Tom Norton cancelling Target because of a mask rule
  • Cancel Sinead O Conner because she ripped a photo of the pope on live tv

These are just a few examples off the top of my head....

Old 03-30-2021, 06:54 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
It's funny how the right tries to attach "cancel culture" exclusively to the left, while forgetting about their own forays into the soup.

• Cancel the movie The Hunt because Jason Chafettz thought it was about celebrating the killing of “deplorables.”

Lol. Except that doesn’t even come close to the cancel culture that’s happened in the last 2 months, and it’s only getting started.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:

none of those things equate to the eradication of historical fact.

Sinead's was a protest. She wasn't 'cancelled', but because of a huge response, NBC banned her from the show or something like that. As far as I know, she did not lose her recording contract. It wasn't like she was shunned from playing anywhere.

Same w/ the Dixie Chicks - they LOST THEIR FAN BASE, and the result was pulling of sponsorship. That was freedom of choice by their fans and the economics spoke. Way different than FORCING a change in culture (due to learned hurt feelings).

Kapernick wasn't even 'cancelled' - he was not able to compete and keep a starting job. Maybe his contract and salary demands had something to do with that.

None of these people are having their voices silenced. Each of these examples is different than cancelling history, as if it did not happen, as if it is not to be acknowledged.

As far as France is concerned, if I remember correctly that big kerkuffle was because they did not allow us to use their air space on a mission to take out Gaddafi (there are various spellings of his name). I believe that was the actual mission that finally succeeded in eliminating that terrorist a-hole from the planet. It was for us the final straw, since France had an anti-american, anti-israel track record in the UN in that era.
So...'freedom fries'? I thought that was stupid, but so be it. Who am I to force anything because I disagree with it, am I BLM or something?

Old 03-30-2021, 06:59 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Kaepernick was offered a job in Denver. He turned it down because he wanted to be a starter. There was also a workout planned in front of NFL teams and he changed the location at the last minute. He doesn’t want to play football. He likes playing the martyr.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:01 AM

882 posts, read 335,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
none of those things equate to the eradication of historical fact.

Sinead's was a protest. She wasn't 'cancelled', but because of a huge response, NBC banned her from the show or something like that. As far as I know, she did not lose her recording contract. It wasn't like she was shunned from playing anywhere.

Same w/ the Dixie Chicks - they LOST THEIR FAN BASE, and the result was pulling of sponsorship. That was freedom of choice by their fans and the economics spoke. Way different than FORCING a change in culture (due to learned hurt feelings).

Kapernick wasn't even 'cancelled' - he was not able to compete and keep a starting job. Maybe his contract and salary demands had something to do with that.

None of these people are having their voices silenced. Each of these examples is different than cancelling history, as if it did not happen, as if it is not to be acknowledged.

As far as France is concerned, if I remember correctly that big kerkuffle was because they did not allow us to use their air space on a mission to take out Gaddafi (there are various spellings of his name). I believe that was the actual mission that finally succeeded in eliminating that terrorist a-hole from the planet. It was for us the final straw, since France had an anti-american, anti-israel track record in the UN in that era.
So...'freedom fries'? I thought that was stupid, but so be it. Who am I to force anything because I disagree with it, am I BLM or something?

Be careful you don't get in too twisted of a knot trying to justify things. It's tough when hypocrisy is called out.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Be careful you don't get in too twisted of a knot trying to justify things. It's tough when hypocrisy is called out.

that is good advice. i do not disagree with that.

if only everyone took that advice, like the asian-americans crying about systemic racism now (oddly, from a culture that is notorious for being insular), the BLM protestors talking about whatever they talk about, then destroy property.

absolutely its all hypocrisy. my previous post is hardly hypocritical, again, because the examples you cited were not the same in principle as removing a statue due to basically spite and hatred of whites.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:18 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Joe Magarac just might be next.
LOL .. they did take him down at Kennywood. Seeing his big statue while on the train ride was always the highlight of my visit. And scary Laffin Sal too.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:07 AM

807 posts, read 616,779 times
If we are going to start getting rid of public sculpture, why don't we start with (what my wife and I call) the "why did you hit my penis with a hammer" sculpture on the North Side?

https://pittsburghartplaces.org/accounts/view/250
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh