Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 09:27 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
If we are going to start getting rid of public sculpture, why don't we start with (what my wife and I call) the "why did you hit my penis with a hammer" sculpture on the North Side?

https://pittsburghartplaces.org/accounts/view/250
Because it doesn’t hurt enough feelings yet to get rid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 06:15 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It’s pretty funny that many think what happens in the city only affects the city and city folk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_lanes View Post
Oh I know it somehow affects people outside Pittsburgh, that's why it's so funny. I can't imagine ever giving a single **** about a statue in Etna or Cranberry being moved. The city lives rent free in some peoples minds.
Quote:
Ahhh, you think it’s a personal thing, when actually it’s also a business thing. Contrary to some folks feelings, not everyone chooses to come to or live in a heavily lib/progressive city...and with a city that struggles financially, loses population yearly, and lacks much in the way of desirability, things like this don’t help...and the city obviously doesn’t live in many peoples minds because people aren’t staying and/or coming.
So how does removing a statue of Christopher Columbus in Pittsburgh affect people living outside of Pittsburgh?

Old 03-30-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
So how does removing a statue of Christopher Columbus in Pittsburgh affect people living outside of Pittsburgh?
Because a lot of people outside of Pittsburgh work in, visit, spend time in Pittsburgh on a regular/daily basis...and not all have them get their feelings hurt so easily and appreciate the history of it.

Do you think only city folk are affected by what happens in the city?

Old 03-30-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Because a lot of people outside of Pittsburgh work in, visit, spend time in Pittsburgh on a regular/daily basis...and not all have them get their feelings hurt so easily and appreciate the history of it.

Do you think only city folk are affected by what happens in the city?
So the people who don't get their feelings hurt so easily do get their feelings hurt when the statues (which teach people history how, exactly?) are removed?

Got it.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
So the people who don't get their feelings hurt so easily do get their feelings hurt when the statues (which teach people history how, exactly?) are removed?

Got it.
Actually, many just know it’s the beginning. They know that trying to erase history by removing statues is just the beginning of more complaining to try to get more things that hurt their feelings removed, as we’ve been seeing over the last 2 months of cancel culture.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-30-2021 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-30-2021, 07:12 PM

807 posts, read 617,338 times
Elijah, is there any limiting principle that you could articulate for Erieguy so that we might assuage his fears about cancel culture (and perhaps we can also get him a comfort animal while we're at it).

As an aging, center left, Gen X'r, I still very strongly that it is beyond debate that the greatest threat to our country is Trumpism and his toadies in the Republican party. However, I do feel somewhat the need to fight a rearguard action against the worst abuses on the Far Left.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:13 PM

198 posts, read 80,660 times
Quote:
more complaining to try to get more things that hurt their feelings removed
Pot, kettle.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Elijah, is there any limiting principle that you could articulate for Erieguy so that we might assuage his fears about cancel culture (and perhaps we can also get him a comfort animal while we're at it).

As an aging, center left, Gen X'r, I still very strongly that it is beyond debate that the greatest threat to our country is Trumpism and his toadies in the Republican party. However, I do feel somewhat the need to fight a rearguard action against the worst abuses on the Far Left.
Assuage erieguy specifically? No. Not a chance.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Lol. I don’t have fears about it. I’m simply amazed at how people get so offended so easily. At this point it would be easier to ask what doesn’t offend them and go from there.

It’s amazing how scared Dems are of because Trump and how he still lives in so many peoples heads.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_lanes View Post
Pot, kettle.
I’m not complaining to get anything removed. I just know that it won’t end with statues, and that’s being proven as we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh