Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 12:29 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
I'll try harder! [Can I get a Bingo for that?]
Don’t try harder. Your posts are great.

Nah, gotta earn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 12:40 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
I think calling me "thought police" is part and parcel of your tendency to hyperbole. I thought that this was one comment that went too far.
But then you delve into a litany of other posts from various posters that you have also reported. Perhaps its your preoccupations with whats acceptable that have gone a bit too far?

Quote:
My feelings in this regard were heightened by the events of Jan. 6, which demonstrated that misinformation and extremist language had real world consequences. I've also reported Erieguy for attempting to downplay the Jan. 6th riots,
erieguy has been posting here for years. You're the new kid on the block. Maybe you should defer to long-term posters and give them the benefit of the doubt. erieguy is pretty solidly conservative politically and outspoken personally - but he's also in favor of law & order.
You're overplaying the events of Jan 6th by referring to them in the plural as riots. There weren't riots. There was a single event in a single city on a single day. Riots would infer that the events were over multiple days, or in multiple locations. Neither is true. So now you're speaking in hyperbole - perhaps you're exaggerating the threat to our democracy in order to justify continued sacrifice of liberties in exchange for security? Would this be worthy of being reported to the mods, given that you're presenting a manipulated narrative in order to cement public support for increased security measures at the expense of liberty?

Quote:
and recently reported a poster "Greenjuice" for using the term "plandemic" as well as for implying that there were improprieties in the November 2020 election.
Why is that term reportable, and how does it promote the likelihood of violence?
Would you report anyone who claimed that there were improprieties in the November 2016 election? Or is your outrage a one-way street?

Quote:
I've also reported Reggie for implying that Governor Wolf and Dr. Levine were akin to the Third Reich and/or that they were murderers/mass murderers.
Why is this subject verboten? We were one of the few states to mandate that long term care facilities admit COVID patients - and half of the COVID deaths in this state occurred in LTCFs. Why is it so taboo that its forbidden to raise the question if their actions were immoral or illegal? Would you prefer that they be referred to as manslaughterers? Or will you report me for even raising that question?

Quote:
Frankly, the only thing that gives me pause are the extreme views presented and whether such views reflect an individual who would commit a violent act in furtherance of such views, or whether repeatedly airing certain extremist views would encourage others to act in that manner.
So how in your mind can using the world 'plandemic' encourage someone reading it to engage in violence?
I don't see any possible way. You claim to be nobly acting to avert the potential for violence, yet your self-admitted actions seem to infer that you're more interested simply in censoring viewpoints that you find distasteful.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:12 PM

807 posts, read 617,512 times
erieguy has been posting here for years. You're the new kid on the block. Maybe you should defer to long-term posters and give them the benefit of the doubt. erieguy is pretty solidly conservative politically and outspoken personally - but he's also in favor of law & order.

Point of order on this one -- I actually joined in 2008 (before Erieguy), and prior to the last year, posted infrequently, and mostly about Dormont. Previously, I very much avoided contentious posts, particularly if they involved issues of race (which is a topic that i still try to avoid).

You're overplaying the events of Jan 6th by referring to them in the plural as riots.

You're right, at least in that I should not have added an "s" and it was inadvertent, although a bit different than making a practice of posting hyperbolic commentary.

Why is that term reportable, and how does it promote the likelihood of violence?

I think I'm getting at misinformation surrounding a few key issues (i.e., pandemic, November 2020 election), as well as extremist statements that might lead to violence. And frankly, while the mods shut down that thread (which seemingly, used to be a much more frequent occurrence) they have not removed the post.

Why is this subject verboten? We were one of the few states to mandate that long term care facilities admit COVID patients - and half of the COVID deaths in this state occurred in LTCFs. Why is it so taboo that its forbidden to raise the question if their actions were immoral or illegal? Would you prefer that they be referred to as manslaughterers? Or will you report me for even raising that question?

Well, that's certainly a more nuanced way to the discuss the issue than simply making a quick, conclusory statement, as Reggie did.

So how in your mind can using the world 'plandemic' encourage someone reading it to engage in violence?
I don't see any possible way. You claim to be nobly acting to avert the potential for violence, yet your self-admitted actions seem to infer that you're more interested simply in censoring viewpoints that you find distasteful

Again, "plandemic" to me is only seemingly used in false propaganda about Covid. Coupled with the fact that this poster also questioned the November 2020 election, I didn't see any legitimate basis for this post to remain.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:34 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Though the only "riot" was technically in DC, these morons had multiple events in many cities where it was all a part of some coordinated memo sane people like us were not included on. There were some tense situations in those cities and there was a photographer assaulted, I'm sure more hasn't been reported. Whatever you want to call it, it was planned months in advance, to take place in multiple locations.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-protest...ry?id=75108241
edit: I put riot in quotations because I think it was more in line with insurrection/uprising.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Though the only "riot" was technically in DC, these morons had multiple events in many cities where it was all a part of some coordinated memo sane people like us were not included on. There were some tense situations in those cities and there was a photographer assaulted, I'm sure more hasn't been reported. Whatever you want to call it, it was planned months in advance, to take place in multiple locations.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-protest...ry?id=75108241
edit: I put riot in quotations because I think it was more in line with insurrection/uprising.
Old article. Are you saying the DC protests which came and went in less than a day, not to be confused with the year long protests, riots, violence, damage to statues and monuments, etc, was about Peduto and the Columbus statue?

Old 04-06-2021, 11:16 AM

408 posts, read 232,095 times
I think individuals need to understand their history a bit better, especially when it comes to racism and brutality in our country. In the context of this thread title, I am fine with taking down statues of individuals with racists or brutal pasts. We should not idolize these individuals and they only belong in the history books nothing more.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
I think individuals need to understand their history a bit better, especially when it comes to racism and brutality in our country. In the context of this thread title, I am fine with taking down statues of individuals with racists or brutal pasts. We should not idolize these individuals and they only belong in the history books nothing more.
How is removing statues/history going to help?

Does that go for all statues, even MLK, now that history has revealed his very checkered past?

Old 04-06-2021, 11:51 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post

its not racism, really. did columbus show up to beat up on colored human beings? no, and he would have left if the new world was a desert wasteland.

its all about human beings and their greed and lust. those things can be wonderful (like it or not, but greed helps turn the economic wheels) but think - remove a few laws, just a few, inflate the price of gas by $2.00/gallon, taint the water supply and cut off netflixx and you'd have chaos in less than a day. people are just like that.

it was the gold they wanted. they oppressed the weaker creatures for it.

same as the brits and the irish, the barbarians and the romans, the japanese and the chinese (WW II).

Old 04-06-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
its not racism, really. did columbus show up to beat up on colored human beings? no, and he would have left if the new world was a desert wasteland.

its all about human beings and their greed and lust. those things can be wonderful (like it or not, but greed helps turn the economic wheels) but think - remove a few laws, just a few, inflate the price of gas by $2.00/gallon, taint the water supply and cut off netflixx and you'd have chaos in less than a day. people are just like that.

it was the gold they wanted. they oppressed the weaker creatures for it.

same as the brits and the irish, the barbarians and the romans, the japanese and the chinese (WW II).
Bingo...but that doesn’t fit the narrative to get them removed.

Folks that tout history, especially those that obviously didn’t learn anything from it, think they should be able to pick and choose what should stay and go depending on how much it hurt their feelings. They’re also many of the same that blame folks today for what happened hundreds of years ago.

Last edited by erieguy; 04-06-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-06-2021, 12:12 PM

408 posts, read 232,095 times
Statues are not history nor do they teach you it. They are meant for idolization and yes Christopher was indeed a racist, rapist, and committed murder. Individuals like this don’t deserve a national holiday (for a country they did not find) or praise in the sense of a statue. I think it is very easy for people to be dismissive of this because they don’t understand their history. Taking this down is correcting a mistake of the past. People who are against this, I truly question.

Last edited by Higherho; 04-06-2021 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh