Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 03:09 PM

41,018 posts, read 17,999,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_lanes View Post
It's just more socially acceptable to attack the "big developer" boogie man than to actually address the real issues contributing to unaffordable housing.
Like working hard, bettering one’s self, educating one’s self, etc..., to make more money rather than being given it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
So you're saying that because someone works a lower middle class job, that they make the neighborhood worse?
He asked, how is it making the neighborhood better?

Old 04-07-2021, 07:10 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
I am not rich. My neighborhood became rich and priced me out. Subsequently I moved to a cheaper neighborhood I could afford.

I now live in a neighborhood with frequent gunfire and hordes of ATV and dirtbike riders running amok. It's fine. We are working hard now to gentrify it so we can enjoy living in a neighborhood as nice as the one we were priced out of someday in the future.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:13 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,525,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I now live in a neighborhood with frequent gunfire and hordes of ATV and dirtbike riders running amok.

The ATV and dirtbikes are in all neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The ATV and dirtbikes are in all neighborhoods.
Not every neighborhood, but sounds peaceful. At least they’re having the time of their lives.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:29 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,660,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
So you're saying that because someone works a lower middle class job, that they make the neighborhood worse?
No. People should be living within their means and trying to survive on their own. Why should somebody be entitled to live in a neighborhood they can’t afford? Why should the bar be lowered so they can live there? Even when you do that those people cannot afford to go out and spend money at the restaurants on Butler street. If you can’t afford housing you can’t afford upkeep and you can’t afford to spend at local businesses. It’s simple economics.

Not everyone can afford Squirrel Hill either. Why not do affordable housing there too?

If you made the sacrifices necessary to move up the economic ladder you would understand that. It’s a terrible idea. Why not invest in neighborhoods that truly need it?

If somebody gave me a Ferrari at a reduced rate I still couldn’t afford the fuel, upkeep and insurance. This is the same concept. It really isn’t hard to understand.

People don’t want others to move ahead in the city. I get it Lawrenceville was fine pre 2010 when it was a dumpy neighborhood with a mostly vacant business district. It became a desirable place to live and money flowed there. Now others that can’t afford the neighborhood want a reduced fare to reside there.

Do you know why Lawrenceville was dumpy before and the storefronts were vacant? You had a lot of people that couldn’t afford to upkeep the house or patronize a business if one opened on the street. Let’s just go back
To the good old days when it was cheap and undesirable. Let the suburbs take the money and workers. Brilliant

Old 04-07-2021, 09:20 PM

198 posts, read 79,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Why not do affordable housing there too?
The goal here isn't to actually build affordable housing. It's to make high density housing as inconvenient as possible to build and therefore not be built. They are just weaponizing affordable housing to do that. I imagine most of the residents supporting these measures own their homes and aren't in danger of being displaced. They just see it as protecting their investment by restricting housing supply so demand cannot be meet.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:43 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,892,587 times
And here is the newly developed or soon to be developed affordable housing in SQUIRREL HILL! Oh my!

https://www.ura.org/pages/krause-commons

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...e-development/

Old 04-07-2021, 10:09 PM

407 posts, read 223,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
And here is the newly developed or soon to be developed affordable housing in SQUIRREL HILL! Oh my!

https://www.ura.org/pages/krause-commons

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...e-development/
This is a good thing. Nice development plans as well.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:59 AM

882 posts, read 330,880 times
Quote:
Quote:
So somebody works hard makes sacrifices to live in a desirable neighborhood. The next person is working their lower middle class job and gets to buy the same property at a discounted rate? How is that making the neighborhood better?

Quote:
No.
Then why did you ask the question above? Clearly you think that someone byuing the same property at a discounted rate makes the neighborhood worse, or you wouldn't have asked the question. At least be honest.

Quote:
Not everyone can afford Squirrel Hill either. Why not do affordable housing there too?

I agree, there should be some there too.

Quote:
If somebody gave me a Ferrari at a reduced rate I still couldn’t afford the fuel, upkeep and insurance. This is the same concept. It really isn’t hard to understand.

If you paid for you Ferrari and the upkeep, and someone gave me one for free and paid for the upkeep, how does that diminish your experience with your Ferrari?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh