Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 07:45 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
No notification at all from the Borough prior to painting.
I've never been cited for this, never been towed, never had a cop come to my door to talk to me about this problem. My car's never been hit. I've lived there for 7 years. No history at all to justify this - it came completely out of the blue.

The Borough did in fact confirm that they did paint the curb, as they claim that there's a law about parking across the street from a driveway... but I can't find one. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing??
actually, yes, i have heard that.

they may have painted the curb, but was that because of the neighbor complaint?

i take it your house does not have its own driveway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 10:41 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
actually, yes, i have heard that.
i take it your house does not have its own driveway?
No, I dont have my own.

So, here's what I found in state law:
Quote:
Statutes of Pennsylvania / Consolidated Statutes / Title 75 / § 3353. Prohibitions in specified places

(a) General rule.--Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or to protect the safety of any person or vehicle or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:

(1) Stop, stand or park a vehicle:

(i) On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street except that:

(A) A pedalcycle may be parked as provided in section 3509(b)(2) (relating to parking).

(B) Standing or parking for the purpose of loading or unloading persons or property may be authorized by local ordinance, but the ordinance shall not authorize standing or parking on State designated highways except during off-peak traffic-flow hours as determined by department regulations.

(ii) On a sidewalk except that a pedalcycle may be parked as provided in section 3509(b)(2).

(iii) Within an intersection.

(iv) On a crosswalk.

(v) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb within 30 feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless a different length is indicated by official traffic-control devices.

(vi) Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when stopping, standing or parking would obstruct traffic.

(vii) Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel.

(viii) On any railroad tracks.

(ix) In the area between roadways of a divided highway, including crossovers.

(x) At any place where official signs prohibit stopping.

(2) Stand or park a vehicle:

(i) In front of a public or private driveway.

(ii) Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.

(iii) Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection.

(iv) Within 30 feet upon the approach to any flashing signal, stop sign, yield sign or traffic-control signal located at the site of a roadway.

(v) Within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station or, when properly sign posted, on the side of a street opposite the entrance to any fire station within 75 feet of the entrance.

(vi) Where the vehicle would prevent the free movement of a streetcar.

(vii) On a limited access highway unless authorized by official traffic-control devices.

(viii) At any place where official signs prohibit standing.

(ix) Within 30 feet upon the approach to a sign warning of the possible presence of a person with a disability in the vicinity of a roadway adjacent to the person's residence or the possible presence of a person with a disability frequently traversing the roadway at that location. This subparagraph shall not apply unless an enabling local ordinance has been passed. The ordinance may apply generally throughout the municipality or be site specific. The ordinance may specify the height of vehicles prohibited from parking in these locations. The enforcement of this subparagraph requires that a sign indicating the violation and amount of fine be posted at each applicable location. For purposes of this section, the term "disability" shall mean a hearing impairment or total or partial blindness.

(3) Park a vehicle:

(i) Within 50 feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing.

(ii) At any place where official signs prohibit parking.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...n=53&subsctn=0
So I was curious what a safety zone would be.. and it is:
Quote:
"Safety zone." The area or space officially set apart within a roadway for the exclusive use of pedestrians.

https://law.justia.com/codes/pennsyl...chapter-1/102/

So I'm really, really at a loss as to this alleged law about parking opposite a driveway. The law is clear that you can't park in front of a driveway - but I'm parked on the complete opposite side of the street.

Any thoughts szug?

Old 04-27-2021, 11:27 AM

45,347 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
No, I dont have my own.

So, here's what I found in state law:

So I was curious what a safety zone would be.. and it is:

So I'm really, really at a loss as to this alleged law about parking opposite a driveway. The law is clear that you can't park in front of a driveway - but I'm parked on the complete opposite side of the street.

Any thoughts szug?
I have one, call the Town Attorney. I think what happened is that your neighbor read what you bolded and for some reason got a wild hair up his ass. He then called the Etna Public Works Department, maybe several times, maybe showed the boss what you bolded and became such a pest that the Department Head got tired of arguing, maybe he even came to believe the interpretation, and detailed a guy to paint the curb to make your neighbor go away.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:59 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have one, call the Town Attorney. I think what happened is that your neighbor read what you bolded and for some reason got a wild hair up his ass. He then called the Etna Public Works Department, maybe several times, maybe showed the boss what you bolded and became such a pest that the Department Head got tired of arguing, maybe he even came to believe the interpretation, and detailed a guy to paint the curb to make your neighbor go away.
Perhaps.
I may contact an attorney myself, but I'm not the type of person to put all of my eggs in one basket. With the diverse fountains of knowledge we have on this forum, I thought I'd ask in case anyone had ever experienced a similar situation or had knowledge to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: