Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2021, 09:40 PM

15 posts, read 8,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
So many ill effects from shutting it down.
there are for sure, but some places still are thriving. seems to be the higher end places. I couldn't get a seat at Gaucho Parilla downtown - they said filled all night, so went down the street to Con Alma, which was packed and pricey (and a bit snooty). I guess it was for the jazz band which they charged me for on the tab just for getting one drink at the bar, and the band took a break a few minutes after I got there. so I really didn't even get to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 07:06 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,354 times
Every restaurant I've tried to go to during dinner hours has had a line out the door in the South Hills for the past week or two. I moved to 4PM and voila - tables open. People are getting meals before Delta explodes.

I'll bet lunch is bad too, crowd wise. I'm going out today at 1PM and will see the lunch crowd.

And the traffic lately!!!!

Last edited by Reggiezz; 08-28-2021 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-30-2021, 06:26 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
It looks like 16% of the downtown Pittsburgh offices are occupied. Yikes!

https://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/o...-report-shows/

Old 08-30-2021, 06:35 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
It looks like 16% of the downtown Pittsburgh offices are occupied. Yikes!

https://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/o...-report-shows/
Who’d a thunk shutting it down would have such consequences.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Who’d a thunk shutting it down would have such consequences.
Who shut downtown Pittsburgh?

Old 08-30-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Wolf shut down much of the state, and the city fell part of it. Weakness comes at a cost, and the city is reaping what Wolf has sown, which is a whole lot of lost revenue. Vacant office space means vacant parking, restaurants being patronized, etc… lots of lost tax revenue everyday.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Wolf shut down much of the state, and the city fell part of it. Weakness comes at a cost, and the city is reaping what Wolf has sown, which is a whole lot of lost revenue. Vacant office space means vacant parking, restaurants being patronized, etc… lots of lost tax revenue everyday.
Then why aren’t businesses coming back?

Old 08-30-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Then why aren’t businesses coming back?
Why would they?

Old 08-30-2021, 08:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Um Wolf! He even shut down state stores and really everything. Unlike DeSantis who shut things down until he understood what was really going on and with his education he opened things back up.

How can you not remember what we went through in PA? You don't live in this state. I am convinced.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:51 AM

882 posts, read 335,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The article gives the example of Giant Eagle remaining entirely WFH...but that's a suburban complex in O'Hara.

It of course remains to be seen, but I think that - in general - we'll see less of a return to the office in suburban office parks than Downtown. At least Downtown you have a lot of options when it comes to lunchtime dining, and you can hang around after work for dinner or nightlife. Not too many people really have fond memories of their corporate cafeteria. Not to mention the inter-suburban commutes are often not ideal for lots of folks.

Downtown also has expensive parking and terrible traffic.

I'm more than happy to WFH instead of to downtown every day, and I suspect we'll make the shift permanent soon. If they switched to Cranberry or something like that though, I'd go into work way more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh