Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:14 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvehard View Post
This is a really interesting thread (especially as my multiracial family and I are moving to Pittsburgh this summer). I have done a fair amount of research in the past on Black suburbanization trends in cities like Wash DC (but not for Pittsburgh), and one factor fueling the move out of some cities has been families in search of lower home prices in the burbs.

From at least two of the comments on this thread, it seems as though some of the displacement in Pittsburgh can also be attributed to a move to the suburbs? If so, has it been mostly places like Monroeville and Penn Hills- or do folks think the Black/Brown trend (if it exists in Pittsburgh) has extended to "blue ribbon" school areas like Fox Chapel and North Allegheny?
It’s the dawn of a new census and they are trying to get head of the ugly census numbers. It’s gonna be a national news story.

It’s no big secret tho. Just look at the articles from two years ago. But again I question the motivation of why now? It’s gonna be a front and center and likely national news story. Not good press for sure. In the 1950s they destroyed the hill district neighborhood. It’s been happening here for decades. The only reason it is getting attention now is that the future of this country and youth coming up is minority and Pittsburgh minority population continues to shrink.

https://www.publicsource.org/pittsbu...-report-finds/

https://www.wesa.fm/development-tran...estimates-show
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 07:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
It’s the dawn of a new census and they are trying to get head of the ugly census numbers. It’s gonna be a national news story.

It’s no big secret tho. Just look at the articles from two years ago. But again I question the motivation of why now? It’s gonna be a front and center and likely national news story. Not good press for sure. In the 1950s they destroyed the hill district neighborhood. It’s been happening here for decades. The only reason it is getting attention now is that the future of this country and youth coming up is minority and Pittsburgh minority population continues to shrink.

https://www.publicsource.org/pittsbu...-report-finds/

https://www.wesa.fm/development-tran...estimates-show
Hey, better to have it now than fifteen years ago, right? Holding hearings like this fifteen years ago may have hindered gentrification. The city council doesn't want to hinder gentrification. They want all the gentrification they can get, then complain about it after-the-fact to show what good people they are.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvehard View Post
This is a really interesting thread (especially as my multiracial family and I are moving to Pittsburgh this summer). I have done a fair amount of research in the past on Black suburbanization trends in cities like Wash DC (but not for Pittsburgh), and one factor fueling the move out of some cities has been families in search of lower home prices in the burbs.

From at least two of the comments on this thread, it seems as though some of the displacement in Pittsburgh can also be attributed to a move to the suburbs? If so, has it been mostly places like Monroeville and Penn Hills- or do folks think the Black/Brown trend (if it exists in Pittsburgh) has extended to "blue ribbon" school areas like Fox Chapel and North Allegheny?
North Allegheny definitely has an inflow of east asians. franklin elementary is almost 50% minority at this point. minorities are definitely seeking out the higher performing districts.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:35 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's basically two different black "suburban" flows out of Pittsburgh right now. The middle-class one goes east through Penn Hills, some of the municipalities in Woodland Hills SD (Churchill, Wilkins township) and then out to Monroeville. Although it is still very small, there also is a growing black population in the next suburb out (Plum) as well).

The second migration is more of poor black folks, and it's concentrated along the Monongahela (Mon) and Turtle Creek valleys. These places are dirt cheap, have plentiful rentals, and access to transit (including transit into downtown).

There is not much black suburbanization to speak of into the North Hills. There's a little bit into some of the first-ring suburbs just north of Pittsburgh, like Bellvue, Avalon, and Sharpsburg, but most people would not call those suburbs.
Most of my friends and family purchased homes in the eastern suburbs. Very few purchase homes in the city and this is mainly because of the cost. Penn Hills offers everything that a black middle class family would need and is centrally located.

I have a few friends that purchased in non traditional areas like Carrick and Bellevue. Carrick has some solid neighborhoods with a Stanton Heights type of vibe which was surprising. Penn Hills is the hot spot for middle class black families and has been for generations.

San Francisco "successfully" suburbanized its black community.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:20 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Most of my friends and family purchased homes in the eastern suburbs. Very few purchase homes in the city and this is mainly because of the cost. Penn Hills offers everything that a black middle class family would need and is centrally located.

I have a few friends that purchased in non traditional areas like Carrick and Bellevue. Carrick has some solid neighborhoods with a Stanton Heights type of vibe which was surprising. Penn Hills is the hot spot for middle class black families and has been for generations.

San Francisco "successfully" suburbanized its black community.
Penn Hills also has a high crime rate, which explains the lower cost.

Old 05-04-2021, 04:48 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
At the end of the day there is a legit reason why this place is talked about being one of the worst cities in America for blacks and why the black working-to-middle class are leaving this area. But don't take my word for it. Take a look at this and read the comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me9G...1h19LkyL99_sux

Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Hey, better to have it now than fifteen years ago, right? Holding hearings like this fifteen years ago may have hindered gentrification. The city council doesn't want to hinder gentrification. They want all the gentrification they can get, then complain about it after-the-fact to show what good people they are.
What’s interesting is that so many folks want areas to “get better”, and then when they do “get better”, they’re surprised that they and other folks get priced out of the area/s....and then they complain about it. It’s as though they have no idea that “better” areas attract money and that money follows money.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:32 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Penn Hills also has a high crime rate, which explains the lower cost.
ive noticed the BARGAINS! it might be due to the high school tax.

there are parts of Penn Hills that are beautiful neighborhoods - on online mapping they appear that way, at least. very leafy, orderly, suburban but not tacky...

Old 05-04-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

there are parts of Penn Hills that are beautiful neighborhoods - on online mapping they appear that way, at least. very leafy, orderly, suburban but not tacky...
High school tax is certainly an issue, and there’s certainly nice parts of Penn Hills, but overall it has a high crime rate.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:41 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

That is correct. Most of my friends purchased the larger homes in the Saltzburg/Stottler areas. Very green and surrounded by an active golf course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh