Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 03:45 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Just more excuses. It’s a blown deal for the city with jobs and $$$ headed elsewhere.
If they were committed to Pittsburgh in the first place, why did they cancel the HQ on the hill with the pens in 2015? Remember that? They even said they were going to explore leaving the city. This was a few years before they announced and canceled the upgrades. This has been years in the making. They just don’t appear to want to be here anymore. They consolidated office space at the tower in 2020. The writing has been on the wall for sometime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wta...a-site/7474915
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 04:00 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
If they were committed to Pittsburgh in the first place, why did they cancel the HQ on the hill with the pens in 2015? Remember that? They even said they were going to explore leaving the city. This was a few years before they announced and canceled the upgrades. This has been years in the making. They just don’t appear to want to be here anymore. They consolidated office space at the tower in 2020. The writing has been on the wall for sometime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wta...a-site/7474915
Perhaps it had something to do with the Hill District dragging its feet. But “remember that”, often reminds me of folks actually believing Mario was going to move the Pens to KC, when in fact, it was an obvious bluff to get what he was promised. Perhaps that applies here, except that US Steel is really going to do it. Nevertheless, I’m sure there will be answers coming out in the wash in the near future....but in the end, it hurts a less than desirable city that needs all the help it can get.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it had something to do with the Hill District dragging its feet. But “remember that”, often reminds me of folks actually believing Mario was going to move the Pens to KC, when in fact, it was an obvious bluff to get what he was promised. Perhaps that applies here, except that US Steel is really going to do it. Nevertheless, I’m sure there will be answers coming out in the wash in the near future....but in the end, it hurts a less than desirable city that needs all the help it can get.
I certainly don’t disagree the desirability of the city is lackluster. Given the history of US Steel with cancelling the HQ, which would’ve been a sweet deal with the pens. They walked away and chose to stay in a dated building they once owned but now rent speaks volumes of what they thought of being in Pittsburgh. It isn’t shocking and has more to do with planning an exit from the region than anything else. I am very critical of local leadership but after stepping back I don’t think this could’ve been prevented. They are gonna ride the ancient plants in the ground, wind it down slowly and then move the HQ. It’s probably been the plan since they canceled the HQ in 2015.

I just don’t agree with blaming politicians when it appears this company has made up its mind and put the writing on the wall long ago. You can’t keep somebody who doesn’t want to be here.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I certainly don’t disagree the desirability of the city is lackluster. Given the history of US Steel with cancelling the HQ, which would’ve been a sweet deal with the pens. They walked away and chose to stay in a dated building they once owned but now rent speaks volumes of what they thought of being in Pittsburgh. It isn’t shocking and has more to do with planning an exit from the region than anything else. I am very critical of local leadership but after stepping back I don’t think this could’ve been prevented. They are gonna ride the ancient plants in the ground, wind it down slowly and then move the HQ. It’s probably been the plan since they canceled the HQ in 2015.

I just don’t agree with blaming politicians when it appears this company has made up its mind and put the writing on the wall long ago. You can’t keep somebody who doesn’t want to be here.
Except politicians have been lackluster in bringing quality jobs and making the city more desirable. Someone posted “after the 80’s” Excuses have been made for 30 years and folks are still leaving. The reason for the deal not happening will come out.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Except politicians have been lackluster in bringing quality jobs and making the city more desirable. Someone posted “after the 80’s” Excuses have been made for 30 years and folks are still leaving. The reason for the deal not happening will come out.
I don’t disagree with that. Plenty of excuses have been made and the institutions have been a disappointment in helping jumpstart the economy in the region.

However US steel walked away from a new HQ deal with the pens. Which I’m sure there were a lot of incentives provided. I don’t think the local politicians could’ve saved it. This may be the only case where the politicians didn’t kill something. And granted they have effed up a long time here. US Steel has been investing in plants everywhere else but here and shrinking the HQ. I think they will be up and gone by 2030 in a different state. But again I think this company just doesn’t want to be here anymore and I don’t think any politician could salvage that deal.

And I think the fact that Toomey is involved meaning they get it that this legacy company doesn’t want to be here anymore. It’s not EPA or regs. They are gonna close those remaining plants here and move the HQ. They are trying to get the feds involved to change their mind. They know this place needs all the help it can get. It’s just another loss for the region and state. And it’s due to desirability more than anything.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:09 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
People .... US steel already overextended itself buying out rest of the stake in Big River Steel in Arkansas. WHY PUT OVER A BILLION $$$ ust to limit polution... When a sunbelt state has a bargain compant using ELECTRIC ARC technology with cheaper labor....

THINK PEOPLE ....

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202012080092

In a move that U.S. Steel has dubbed “Best of Both,” the Pittsburgh-based steel company on Tuesday announced it will fully acquire an Arkansas-based steel operation for $774 million.

The combination of the legacy steel company that takes virgin iron ore and turns it into steel in coal-fired blast furnaces with Big River Steel, In a move that U.S. Steel has dubbed “Best of Both,” the Pittsburgh-based steel company on Tuesday announced it will

The combination of the legacy steel company that takes virgin iron ore and turns it into steel in coal-fired blast furnaces with Big River Steel, a young firm that processes scrap metal in electric arc furnaces, was the Pittsburgh company’s number one priority, its CEO David Burritt said. He hailed the acquisition of Big River as the cornerstone of the company’s strategy going forward.

We feel optimistic — dare I say bullish,” Mr. Burritt told analysts He hailed the acquisition of .

We feel optimistic -- dare I say bullish,” Mr. Burritt told analysts.

*** THEY SEE A FUTURE THERE TO EXPAND. IN DAAA SUNBELT WITH LOWER WAGES.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I don’t disagree with that. Plenty of excuses have been made and the institutions have been a disappointment in helping jumpstart the economy in the region.

However US steel walked away from a new HQ deal with the pens. Which I’m sure there were a lot of incentives provided. I don’t think the local politicians could’ve saved it. This may be the only case where the politicians didn’t kill something. And granted they have effed up a long time here. US Steel has been investing in plants everywhere else but here and shrinking the HQ. I think they will be up and gone by 2030 in a different state. But again I think this company just doesn’t want to be here anymore and I don’t think any politician could salvage that deal.

And I think the fact that Toomey is involved meaning they get it that this legacy company doesn’t want to be here anymore. It’s not EPA or regs. They are gonna close those remaining plants here and move the HQ. They are trying to get the feds involved to change their mind. They know this place needs all the help it can get. It’s just another loss for the region and state. And it’s due to desirability more than anything.
The Pens were also hamstrung by the Hill District, and so much so that the Pens pulled out due to ridiculous demands, and then the Hill came back asking the Pens to reconsider.

The city reaps what it sows, will continue to do so, and excuses will continue to be made.

I look forward to hearing the actual reason/s for US Steel pulling out versus assumptions in doing so.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
People .... US steel already overextended itself buying out rest of the stake in Big River Steel in Arkansas. WHY PUT OVER A BILLION $$$ ust to limit polution... When a sunbelt state has a bargain compant using ELECTRIC ARC technology with cheaper labor....

THINK PEOPLE ....

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202012080092

In a move that U.S. Steel has dubbed “Best of Both,” the Pittsburgh-based steel company on Tuesday announced it will fully acquire an Arkansas-based steel operation for $774 million.

The combination of the legacy steel company that takes virgin iron ore and turns it into steel in coal-fired blast furnaces with Big River Steel, In a move that U.S. Steel has dubbed “Best of Both,” the Pittsburgh-based steel company on Tuesday announced it will

The combination of the legacy steel company that takes virgin iron ore and turns it into steel in coal-fired blast furnaces with Big River Steel, a young firm that processes scrap metal in electric arc furnaces, was the Pittsburgh company’s number one priority, its CEO David Burritt said. He hailed the acquisition of Big River as the cornerstone of the company’s strategy going forward.

We feel optimistic — dare I say bullish,” Mr. Burritt told analysts He hailed the acquisition of .

We feel optimistic -- dare I say bullish,” Mr. Burritt told analysts.

*** THEY SEE A FUTURE THERE TO EXPAND. IN DAAA SUNBELT WITH LOWER WAGES.
Bingo, It’s about money not regulations or EPA. I don’t think the local politicians killed it. In fact I think they thought this project was going to happen for the mon valley. It caught them off guard that this project was cancelled. Toomey is involved because now they get it that US Steel is likely going to leave and there is nothing they can do to stop it.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
The Pens were also hamstrung by the Hill District, and so much so that the Pens pulled out due to ridiculous demands, and then the Hill came back asking the Pens to reconsider.

The city reaps what it sows, will continue to do so, and excuses will continue to be made.

I look forward to hearing the actual reason/s for US Steel pulling out versus assumptions in doing so.
They have invested in plants in the south. They cancelled HQ here and a sweet deal in 2015. They aren’t going to keep inefficient dinosaurs producing in a declining area with higher Union wages when they purchased places in the sunbelt that run more efficiently with more favorable labor costs.

Pa government was caught off guard. They didn’t see it coming. That’s why Toomey is involved. Cancelling the project means the prospect of leaving Pittsburgh for good and just a footnote in history. Greener pastures

Old 05-06-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
They have invested in plants in the south. They cancelled HQ here and a sweet deal in 2015. They aren’t going to keep inefficient dinosaurs producing in a declining area with higher Union wages when they purchased places in the sunbelt that run more efficiently with more favorable labor costs.

Pa government was caught off guard. They didn’t see it coming. That’s why Toomey is involved. Cancelling the project means the prospect of leaving Pittsburgh for good and just a footnote in history. Greener pastures
I wouldn’t invest in the area other than buying and selling houses, especially with the way Wolf has handled the last year, but I’ll wait to hear if from the horses mouth as to why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh