Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2021, 06:45 PM

41,018 posts, read 17,996,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Where does this military wing of the Pittsburgh Police hang out, exactly? I've lived, worked, and gone to school in many different areas of Pittsburgh over a few decades, and I've never seen the military on the city streets. How have I missed them?
I’d wager somewhere from Weirton to the Oyster House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 09:54 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,349,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Where does this military wing of the Pittsburgh Police hang out, exactly? I've lived, worked, and gone to school in many different areas of Pittsburgh over a few decades, and I've never seen the military on the city streets. How have I missed them?
They hang out in the sewers with all the alligators.

Old 05-24-2021, 05:21 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,660,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I’d wager somewhere from Weirton to the Oyster House.
At least Weirton is a real city with a mayor and paid fire department.

The fire chief isn’t Erieguy showing up with his fire pager, slicked back hair, smoking Marlboro Reds, excitedly yelling into emergency radio hoping this dude saves my house, while the rest of the day he gets paid (likely by the government) to post on city data and moonlights as the part time township treasurer.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:47 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,215,022 times
Peduto was the first Pittsburgh mayor in my lifetime who didn't recklessly pursue shortsighted development and spending projects. He was competent and professional and took his job seriously. In discussion about past Pittsburgh mayors he will one day be remembered as one of the best...not in terms of individual power, as those days are gone, but as someone who genuinely knew what needed to be done to improve the city.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:35 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,915,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Peduto was the first Pittsburgh mayor in my lifetime who didn't recklessly pursue shortsighted development and spending projects. He was competent and professional and took his job seriously. In discussion about past Pittsburgh mayors he will one day be remembered as one of the best...not in terms of individual power, as those days are gone, but as someone who genuinely knew what needed to be done to improve the city.
Mayor Tom Murphy was one of the greatest. His original Fifth and Forbes redevelopment failed but gave way to Market Square and the elimination of blighted blocks within downtown. Murphy jump started East Liberty's revitalization. Murphy also made the river trails more inviting and revamped the riverfronts while adding a billion dollars worth of investment with the convention center and stadia construction.

Murphy created an all new neighborhood (Summerset at Frick Park) and to date the neighborhood all but built out. Murphy was responsible for historic preservation throughout the city. Penn Avenue in downtown is a gem. Not to long ago Penn Avenue was an abandoned back alley used for drugs and prostitution.

Caliguiri was no slouch either.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
At least Weirton is a real city with a mayor and paid fire department.

The fire chief isn’t Erieguy showing up with his fire pager, slicked back hair, smoking Marlboro Reds, excitedly yelling into emergency radio hoping this dude saves my house, while the rest of the day he gets paid (likely by the government) to post on city data and moonlights as the part time township treasurer.
That sounds exactly like Weirton behavior, lol.

Last edited by erieguy; 05-24-2021 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-24-2021, 10:05 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,215,022 times
Yes, Murphy was definitely on the right track in many respects and transitional to a more modern city, although he had more pronounced negatives occur during his administration. It's not a coincidence that he and Peduto were among the better educated leaders the city has had.

Peduto was able to cultivate productive relationships outside of the region, and definitely had the right ideas about how to grow the city and improve its public image. But let's see how the next chapter unfolds...

Old 05-24-2021, 10:31 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,915,473 times
Quote:
Yes, Murphy was definitely on the right track in many respects and transitional to a more modern city, although he had more pronounced negatives occur during his administration. It's not a coincidence that he and Peduto were among the better educated leaders the city has had.

Peduto was able to cultivate productive relationships outside of the region, and definitely had the right ideas about how to grow the city and improve its public image. But let's see how the next chapter unfolds...
Pronounced negatives? Elaborate please.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:20 PM

1,400 posts, read 551,751 times
Quote:
No, Billy boy was one of the worst; a woke, SJW clown who did not focus on the nuts & bolts of actually running a city.
He wasn't Ravenstahl bad, but still, an incompetent hack.
Ravenstahl made me ponder; what a shallow & foul pool these latest mayors have emerged from.
Is that the best the Democratic Republic of Pittsburgh can offer? I guess the sheeple get what they deserve.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
No, Billy boy was one of the worst; a woke, SJW clown who did not focus on the nuts & bolts of actually running a city.
He wasn't Ravenstahl bad, but still, an incompetent hack.
Ravenstahl made me ponder; what a shallow & foul pool these latest mayors have emerged from.
Is that the best the Democratic Republic of Pittsburgh can offer? I guess the sheeple get what they deserve.
Lol at Ravenstahl. What a clown show he was/is.

Bingo...and the next 4 years should be really interesting.

Last edited by erieguy; 05-24-2021 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh